Ground balancing issue

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand new to detecting. After putting in a solid 7 hours and 5 miles today I came home and played with some pickers I have from sniping. I noticed even when directly under the coil the constant threshold changes only ever so slightly. I watched the dvd that came with my minelab 705 which showed the same thing. The only thing that makes it “scream” is a large piece of gold pretty much on the surface.

Having seen this after a day of detecting I feel like I could have been over 50 pieces and kept going. The slight changes in the pitch for deep gold and small gold seemed to happen to me all day. Is this a ground balancing thing? I pressed the tracking button and moved it up and down but it still constantly throws pitch changes over everything. Even regular rocks that stick up an inch or two.

Many times throughout the day I had “hits” but the seemed to disappear once I tried to pinpoint it. I felt like I was chasing moving Pieces.

Any ideas how to fix this? If small and deep gold is that faint I’ll never find it with my detector constantly changing pitches over everything. I tried recalibration it with the tracking button multiple times.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which coil do you have on your 705?

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question to (hopefully) keep me motivated to go out again if I can’t get it better....

If I’m finding small piece of lead 1/4-1/2 the size of a .22 bullet is it safe to say that those pieces could have just as easily have been gold? Or is lead easier to find as far as the threshold changes go.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, if you are finding small lead, you'll find gold as well. They sound exactly the same. :occasion14:

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, if you are finding small lead, you'll find gold as well. They sound exactly the same. :occasion14:

Hey thanks a lot for that video! Bad internet, just saw it pop up. That helped a lot. Apparently I wasn’t groundbbalancing it. I thought the tracking button with squiggly lines did that.

If it wasn’t for the civil war era button I found I’d think I wasted a day. Man was I off... “should sound like a faint mosquito and the faintest change is a target....” All day was non stop wheeeeweeewe and only the extremely distinct high pitches were locatable

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks a lot for that video! Bad internet, just saw it pop up. That helped a lot. Apparently I wasn’t groundbbalancing it. I thought the tracking button with squiggly lines did that.

If it wasn’t for the civil war era button I found I’d think I wasted a day. Man was I off... “should sound like a faint mosquito and the faintest change is a target....” All day was non stop wheeeeweeewe and only the extremely distinct high pitches were locatable

No such thing as " I wasted a day"
We all spent a lot of time trying to learn the machine we are working with. Keep at it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of advice on here good to ask

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from MI Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Minelab 705 is a very good machine, very sensitive to gold with the high frequency coil!

Good Luck with your new machine! Watch Youtube videos and read the manual. :occasion14:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to ground balance it with the sensitivity turned up on the cleanest patch of ground you can find, set your threshold as low as you can and still barely hear it, and in my opinion leave the ground tracking off.

It's not a super complex machine but definitely takes time and effort to really get good with it.
The more you use it the better you will get at using it.

In the right hands it's 10x the machine an AT-Pro ever thought about being, it's just not waterproof.

Stick with it, and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread