Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello there folks!

It's been a typical New England winter so far, so that means no metal detecting :(
HOWEVER I've discovered once again that there are other ways to find treasure!
Last Saturday, I headed to Connecticut with my cousin to go hiking. We met up with some other people, and we got to this trail, which was railroad tracks, but had just been bulldozed. The path went across a road, which is where we parked and entered. The entrance was about 40 feel from an old foundation. There was a bulldozed area by the gate, and when I was still in the van, I thought I saw a comb in the ground. When I got out, I kicked it and it turned out to be an old fork! Closer inspection of the area revealed some broken glass and this cool old cologne bottle, half full. Doesn't smell too bad :D
After our hike, we went into town for dinner. We found a parking lot, and as we were walking to the restaurant, something on the sidewalk caught my eye. It turned out to be a sterling hoop earring! (No gold for me this time :laughing7:) It isn't pictured, but I assure you, I really found it!
Fast forward to yesterday. I was home alone and bored, so I decided to go back into the upstairs crawlspaces. There are three of them, and I have found stuff in all three. See http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/317788-certificate-promotion-fifth-grade-1935-a.html (not everything I found is in that picture.) So I'm in the crawlspace off of the living room, and I start feeling around under the insulation (it's this weird loose gray stuff that makes me sneeze so I have to cover my face with my shirt and theres like 8 inches of it) After about 10 minutes of just finding broken pieces of wood, I take a floorboard off. It isn't the original floor, the original floor is covered in the insulation, so I don't care about taking it up. So I remove the board, and start feeling around. Almost instantly, I feel something. I take it out, and before reading it I thought it was a cardboard disk that would have had a roll of solder on it, but I realized that it was something much cooler! It's a promotional piece for Calvert Whiskey from 1945, that shows who won the National Open, World Series, Heavyweight Boxing championships, National singles (tennis), Kentucky Derby, Rose Bowl, and Congress (bowling) from 1920-1944! You rotate the disk to the year you want, and you see the winners through the holes! It's in great condition, and I haven't been able to find one like it online, nor have I found any info. I was able to find the 1946 and 1947 versions, but not this one. Perhaps it is rare? I hope so! If anyone has any information about it, I'd be glad to hear it! Also, next to it I found this cool old wooden coat hanger.

Thanks for looking, and remember, just cause you can't detect doesn't mean you can't find treasure :D

-Anthony

Attachments

• Fork2.jpg
    Fork2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 188
  • CologneBottle.jpg
    CologneBottle.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 194
  • CalvertFront.jpg
    CalvertFront.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 193
  • CalvertBack.jpg
    CalvertBack.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 193
  • CoatHanger.jpg
    CoatHanger.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 3

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great... My wife tells me all the time i'm nuts because we can't go anywhere without me looking for treasures.. We went out for our anniversary last tuesday and she wanted to go out and shoot some pool and play darts.. So I always watch the floors in bars never know what you may find.. I looked under the pooltable and found 1.25 in quarter and found 3 more behind the jukebox never know where the silver is.. Nice to know that in my wifes words i'm not the only crazy out there.. Nice finds congrats..

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, that is a great little find and you didn't have to freeze your but off to get it.
Well done,
ZDD

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my luck, I would have gotten bit by a P!@#$D off mouse because I disturbed his house. . . .

nice finds and continued HH

PTP

idig2

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, Florida
Detector(s) used
Titan 9000, MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is super cool!! We have run into some great finds doing rehab on some of our older rental properties.. Gotta love when you get a surprise like that!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I've been hooked on this hobby for near on to a half century. It causes you to think in ways that uncovers the past. We are ALWAYS looking! No matter what. (How many have run into a pole while watching the ground while walking? LOL )

One thing that we need to be very careful about what is around us. Especially when we're caught up in our pursuit of happiness. ;)

Like, open manhole covers, telephone poles, traffic, and one more thing. If we're poking about in the insulation of old buildings, we have to keep in mind the possibility of asbestos. It was used as insulation way back when. Remember? It won't burn! That was a selling point!

Not to say yours is, but, it would be worth checking on future "digs" into the past.

Way to think out of the box!

HH!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha crazy we just may be! :p
I haven't seen any asbestos, I think if there was any they got rid of it when they renovated in the 80s.
(Part of their renovation was to put paneling up in EVERY room!)
P.S. in case anyone was wondering my house was built in 1929.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was younger - and could not wait for spring
Id go out with a small sledge and a chisel

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still haven't been able to find any info on it! If anyone can help, that would be great. I think I'll put it in the What Is It? forum too.

Thanks!

-Anthony

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grounds frozen all over here in Ole Virginia.. Hopefully we will get a warm up this week! :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread