Yesterdays Colonial Snow Dig...kept the coin streak alive in Copper & Silver!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial Snow Dig...kept the coin streak alive in Copper & Silver!!!

We received a blanket of the "white stuff" here in Virginia on Friday. Not to be deterred, my good pal Bill D and I decided to go do some digging. We had to wait for the roads to somewhat become clear, but by noon we were out for our half-day snow hunt. It was cold, a little wet and fairly slow at first.

After a couple of hours and only a few buttons I hit a little iron patch and began to slow down and dig iffy signals. First I dug a button, then a part of a shoe buckle, and then a nice piece of cut spanish silver popped up. It was just a few minutes earlier that we were discussing whether or not our coin streak at this site would continue, it looked bleak (5 consecutive hunts with one of us digging a colonial coin).

After digging a couple of musket balls (some with sprus still on them) I dug a test hole and located a very deep and fairly sizable pit. Running out of day light, we filled it in after the test hole and will return on our next trip to dig it out, full of brick, pottery and bone, hopefully it will pay off. A few feet away I received a deep but large high-tone. Digging down close to 18" I popped out this large brass cap/lid/top of some sort. (An ID would be appreciated if possible). Once removed from the hole, I noticed the same color of dirt and flakes of bone and brick. Sticking the loop down in the hole I was surprised to hear another tone...once more dirt was removed, out popped this beauty of a VA Half Penny! Two Coins!!! Our streak was saved and I was happy. UPDATE: (I initially posted that I did dig one early pewter Pillars of Hercules button, but it is basicaly rotten.) I thought I could make out the left pillar on the left). (image of the back) (New image provided of the front.) Upon cleaning the button I was able to make out a "1st" on the fact. It appears it is some sort of a regimental button, but none of any kind I am familiar with. Any thoughts would be helpful!

I ended the day with 11 buttons, a few pieces of colonial buckles, and some lead. The two coins were the highlight. The big brass item is solid cast, and looks to have had the middle broken out. Any ideas?

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC012613a.jpg
    SC012613a.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 285
  • SC012613b.jpg
    SC012613b.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 319
  • SC012613c.JPG
    SC012613c.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 342
  • SC012613d.jpg
    SC012613d.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 310
  • SC012613e.jpg
    SC012613e.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 288
  • SC012613g.jpg
    SC012613g.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 272
  • SC012613f.jpg
    SC012613f.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 273
  • SC012613h.jpg
    SC012613h.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Upvote 12

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brass thing maybe the base of a candle holder?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on keepin the STREAK alive DAN!!!! Your copper is a BEAUT, were you able to get a date off of it? Does your brass piece look as if it was a base for sumthing? Boy I hope you found a pit, hard to say what kind of GOODIES are hidin there.. Send sum of that nice weather this way bud. lol. CONGRATS... HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer stuff! That pit will be LOADED!!! Bill has sent me some articles describing finding trash pits, but I'd love to see some photos on-site showing how you guys dig down into the pits. Do you do a trench, shave the sides?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Data-Star-Trek-Fist-Pump.gif YES ...Nice finds

Attachments

• woohoo-leo.gif
    woohoo-leo.gif
    919.9 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on keepin the STREAK alive DAN!!!! Your copper is a BEAUT, were you able to get a date off of it? Does your brass piece look as if it was a base for sumthing? Boy I hope you found a pit, hard to say what kind of GOODIES are hidin there.. Send sum of that nice weather this way bud. lol. CONGRATS... HH

1773 is the date. I believe the base is what folks have been saying, candlestick holder. Saw one in a museum today that looked very close, just slightly larger and pewter. It def is a pit, we will just have to see how good of one it will be!

Dan

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer stuff! That pit will be LOADED!!! Bill has sent me some articles describing finding trash pits, but I'd love to see some photos on-site showing how you guys dig down into the pits. Do you do a trench, shave the sides?

Just depends on the pit. However, I typically will shave the sides carefully until the soil layer changes or I run out of color or iron. This goes for the sides and floor. Don't know about the pictures of this one, I am sure we will take some, but want to be careful as to show any signs of the location.

Dan

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and Bill are fast becoming legends of all finds colonial. I enjoy reading about and seeing your hunt-to-hunt success.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1773 is the date. I believe the base is what folks have been saying, candlestick holder. Saw one in a museum today that looked very close, just slightly larger and pewter. It def is a pit, we will just have to see how good of one it will be!

Dan

How far away was the museum, YOUR LIVING ROOM!!! lol. Great saves.. HH

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man yaw are sure in one heck of a spot there.keep up the great work.AWESOME FINDS MAN

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a fun time Dan. Been a long while since I've dug in the snow. Like you said, it certainly makes it easy to see where you've been. Those coins are great, and the halfpenny looks to be in superb condition for a field copper. Glad you were able to come through at the 11th hour to keep our streak alive. I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can get out of the pits. Its definitely a good sign when you can pull a colonial coin out from a random hole like you did. Saturday can't come soon enough. Great job yesterday!!

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds Guys, That VA. Halfpenny looks to be in great shape. Like you said snow hunting is great for telling where you've been and you can really grid an area. I used to like hunting with just an inch or so on the ground just for those reasons :)

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds as usual! Love the VA half penny!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys video any of your hunts?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys video any of your hunts?

I have before, but got out of doing it once folks tried too much to figure out where I was. I need to get back to doing them, guess I got lazy and figured I am not that entertaining. I appear in many of Aquachiggers ha ha.
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions