cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need mding buddy, just outside philly, Ambler

I'm definetly in for the 30th. Mary's house is still here, it's really just an average sized house. It was abandonded for a while but was since restored and now is a home for the handicapped. I could only imagine there must be at least some old jewlery and relics down that end.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What place and time should we meet on the 30th?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a good question, where could we all park? I guess we could all park in the state park lot near the hawk observation platform and carpool to the hunt area. The hill where the hawk watching deck is faces Germantown and was where the bulk of Washington's regular army was positioned. I've never hunted there either.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know the area so I just need an address or location and I will be there. What do you think... Maybe 9AM?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

9 is ok with me, if everyone wants to park at the observation lot just look up Ft. Washington state park and there is a pretty good map there. It's just off of rt. 73.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll be there.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll be ther as well. I thought you were not alloud to hunt Ft. Washington state park ?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know the parks DCNR manager, names Josh. He's always told me just leave everything as you found it. I'll check with him again and make sure it's ok to have a group of us there mding. He actually has told me where he would recomend I go in the park, LOL. He's a good guy, even sent me up to the monument area on Militia Hill, gave up too soon though because there is alot of trash around the land mark/monument.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ryan, just out of curiousity what type of digging is this area? Looks pretty wooded. Is it heavily rooted?

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's mixed, some old timber forest, some over grown fields, mostly heavy clay soil. It's all in the Wissahickon valley watershed which overflows a lot. It's nice right now being that it's still cool and the weeds haven't grown back yet.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Depends on which area we go to as well. Does everyone want to hunt the bottle dump/Ambler train wreck area or the area around the hawk watch tower in the main park? The hawk watch area has much easier terrain with alot of mowed grass fields over top of where Washingtons main defensive hill was. My concern about the bottle/trainwreck area is if it rains within 24 hours of Sunday we will need scuba gear, lots of thorns too.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

That clay can be thick. Might want an easy type dig to start. I am up for either. I just like to get out and hunt and have fun.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just changed the google map in my profile, the marker is right on the hawk observation deck. Zoom in all the way, the parking lot is just to the north of the marker. the field in between the hawk observation deck and the RR tracks is mowed grass, tall pines to the east. The area where the parking lot and hawk viewing deck are s the hill where the majority of Washingtons forces were placed for the battle of Germantown. The British came from the direction of the rr tracks and would charge up the hill toward the hawk deck(were Washingtons fortifications were). Thats why I'm kinda leaning toward hunting there because that field is just mowed grass and I'm sure many British and Hession soldiers fell in that field.And the are all around the parking lot is were the bulk of Washingtons force was entrenched and the main camp was set up there. Can everybody let me know which area you would rather hunt A. The bottle dump/Ambler train wreck area. Or B. Stick inside the main park and hunt the area I just described. I want to get in touch with the park manager and let him know where we will be hunting just to make sure everything is 100%. If anybody wants to give me buzz, shoot me a pm.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stick inside the main park and hunt the area you described sounds pretty exciting. That sounds great to me.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think that would be the easiest plan. We have all day to so if we change our minds I have half a dozen other private spots within a few minutes drive we can always hunt.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If anybody wants to give me a call about Sunday just let me know.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats the one

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just spoke to Josh the park manager again, still a go. His only request is that we do no permanent damage and be respectful of other park users. Please keep in mind we are the first group to hunt here and to keep in mind we are representing our hobby. Thanks everybody, Ryan

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Awesome. So how many people will be joining the group?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread