GTI 2000 & GOLD, test results in!

Willy

GTI 2000 & GOLD, test results in!

Awright kids, belly up to Willy's detecting bar and get another gutful of useless trivia. Just got a GTI 2000 through the mail today and decided to do a few tests. Couldn't find my 1 grain nugget (will look for it tomorrow) so had to settle for the three grainer for some air testing. First loop I tried was the stock 9.5". With the sensitivity at around 7.5, it could pick it up in 0 disc. from about 1/2" and about 2.5" in all-metal. I then tried the 5x10" DD loop and got almost the exact same results! The way I see it is that the dual recieve loops in the stock coil might give it a bit of extra sensitivity. Now, contrast this with my GMT (White's top of the line gold detector). The same nugget netted me a bit over 3" with the stock 5x10" DD. This was done inside & there was plenty of interference, though it seemed more pronounced with the GTI. So, tomorrow I'll dig out the 1 grainer & also do some in-ground tests. Who knows, it might make for a pretty decent little nuggetshooter. ...Willy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willy

Re: GTI 2000 & GOLD, test results in!

Well,did some testing outside in between bouts of christmas light hanging and amusing the dog. Nice and sunny, though still a bit chilly. Couldn't find my 1 grain test nugget, so had to shave off some lead. If the pic loads properly, you'll see the relative sizes with a dime to provide a reference. The bigger piece of lead looks to be about the same weight/size as the gold, but it is actually far far less, a bit over a grain. To start it off, the GTI would only pick up the smallest piece if it was rubbed on the coil.. not bad for something that's sub-grain. Unfortunately, gold doesn't tend to wander up to my coils and get all snuggly: more's the pity. The second piece gave off a much stronger signal and could be detected at about 3/4" when lying on the ground. The ground I tested on was pretty mild (for here), reading at 80 on the GMT. It seems that the GTI tracks a bit negative & that reduced the signal strength somewhat. Putting it in manual mode & GB'ing it a bit positive really enhanced the signal. The ground tracking was also pretty good re. not tracking out such a small target. I tried to do so by having it on it's fastest setting and bobbing the coil over it.. it didn't track out. I could, however get it to track out a hot rock. Anything more than 1/4" of dirt & the signal was gone. With the gold nugget I could still pick it up when buried about 3/4". One thing of note is that, having a slowish autotune, the GTI should be swept slowly in AM mode. This allows a person to distinguish between noise (mineralization, electrical, etc.) and a good signal. Contrasting the GTI with my GMT showed some interesting differences & parallels. They both exhibited somewhat noisy operation, though it was a bit easier to distinguish with the GMT; probably because it's a familiar machine to me. The GMT also was able to give strong & distinct signals on all the targets, at greater distances, but this is only to be expected. The GMT is a hard core nuggetfinding detector with incredible amounts of gain and a very aggresive ground tracking system. The GTI proved to be surprisingly capable as a nuggethunter and, while not in a position to outshine a dedicated gold detector, I wouldn't hesitate to use one if it was what I had available. In many ways it reminds me of the Scorpion Gold Stinger I had a few years back. One other finding of note: as expected, the stock coil lost it's extreme sensitivity when the nugget was laid on the ground, therefore the 5x10"elliptical was used. This is not to say that the stock coil is garbage, it just can't handle the mineralization & be as hypersensitive as the DD.

Attachments

• CIMG0172.JPG
    CIMG0172.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 126

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread