Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GTI 2500 has been malfunctioning recently. Intermittently when I operate it in an area of multiple targets it will just start letting out a loud roar instead of identifying individual targets. This started about a month ago and at first I thought it was just some kind of interference such as highlines, etc, When it started doing it more often I knew I had a problem. As a check, I hit the same areas with the ACE 250 and got no interference. I am sending my 2500 back to the factory for service one day this week, week of November 13. It is still under warranty. I not only will get my detector fixed, but it wiil provide me with the opportunity to evaluate the Garrett Service and Repair Department. I will write up any problems, delays, etc, if any, and let everyone know what to expect. I have a backup detector or two so I can do without it for a spell, but not a long spell I hope! Stay tuned. Monty

damn monty you just got that thing! good luck. i hear that garretts service is very good.i will be interested to hear about how they treated you.

OK, I sent it in yesterday, Dec 14? with two day delivery through snail mail.? I am supposed to be notified when it is delivered to them.? Let's see how they respond and how long it takes me to get it back.? Hope it isn't a nightmare llike Leon went through, but his wasn't a Garrett.? The upcoming Christmas Holidays may cause some problems with a fast turnaround but that remains to be seen.? Excellent!? Monty

P.S. I got the detector new in August.

Snail mail advised Garrett received my detector on the 16th at 1030 AM.? I emailed them today asking if they had found the problem and when may I expect it back?? Before Christmas if possible?? Got an instant reply that said it had been repaired and was on the way back to me!? They said I should receive it by Thursday the 22nd!? There was nothing about what they found or did to it, but just that it had been repaired, so apparently they found something?? I will post again when it arrives and I have had a chance to check it out.? So far so good!? Monty

Good News and Bad News!! I got my detector back today from Garrett. They replaced a cable, the battery box and recalibrated it! Bad news---Ups broke the LCD head off in shipment, probably totaled it! So, Garret Service is super, UPS sucks! :'( Monty

Monty,

old saying, " IT Happens."

That was real fast service by Garretts.

Hope all will work out O.K.

have a good un..............

That sux big time! Hope their insurance will take care of it fast. At least U have a backup for now. Let us know.

UPS sez they have to call me tomorrow and make an appointment to come out and inspect the damage. Will probably take several weeks to deal with them! I had stopped using UPS for my shipping and I do a lot. Now I know I will never use them again! Monty

You know something.... the US Postal Service is the way to go, in my opinion.? Some of you may know that I bought my sister a ACE 150 for Christmas.? Well I sent it USPS Priorty Mail for a bit over twelve bucks.? My mom sent an almost identical size and weight package to me by UPS.? She mailed her's on the 9th of December and I received it on the 20th.? I mailed mine on the 12th and she received it on the 15th.?

Her's - almost 2 weeks at $20.10 with UPS
Mine - 4 days at $12.44 with USPS

Sorry for your loss Jim.... you have my sympathy. :'( Is there an address where I can send flowers?

If UPS would have just sent it back to Garrett like they requested it woud be solved! Monty

Didn't think of this until now, but if you had refused delivery of it, they would have had to return it to Garrett without charge. >:( What a bunch of jerks. They really know how to mess up someones Christmas! You know, someone had to really try to break that, or be really careless with it. The boxes don't just fall off of the 2500's! >:( >:( >:(

Hello all. I am new to forum. Seems like a really great place for information. Sorry to hear about your UPS problem, hope they get it resoved quick. I have just ordered a new GTI2500 ( my first one was stolen ). I have alway gotten really good service from Garrett. Very quick and very friendly. This is the main reason I stick with Garrett detectors.

YEP!- called garrett, and the advised me to e mail them with problem , w/return address, I advised them my GTAX-1000, battery holders just broke!- in short order new in my mail box no charge!

I received a phone call from Brad at Garrett Customer Service. They finally received my detector back after UPS got through messing with it. Doubt if UPS had any idea what they were looking at anyway! Brad said he would repair the detector in the morning and get it sent back by USPS instead of UPS. Said I should get it by Friday or Saturday. Due to the UPS snafu it made this service evaluation really difficult to report on. Overall, the Garrett people have done all they could in a timely manner. If UPS had not damaged it, I would have had it back in about five days which is really fast considering travel times. I'd have to give Garrett an A+ but I'm afraid UPS got a failing score! Monty

Good deal. Just in time for the weekend. Looks like it's going to be nice weather, low to mid 60's although still very, very dry and breezy. HH!

glad to hear that you finally got this resolved. it sounds like garrett did a pretty good job with thier service. thats good to know.

My detector arrived some time last night after dark. When it got dark I closed and locked the front door and I found it on the porch this morning. UPS again, leaving a very expensive package (at least to me) out in the open front porch after dark and not notifying me it had arrived, and I was at home all evening. I was told by the Garrett folks that it would be sent by USPS, but it was not. If USPS does not find you at home they will hold it until you come and pick it up which is desirable when something of great value is involved. Oh well, UPS is history to me so enough of that.
I assembled the detector and heard something rattling and thought. "OH NO!" On checking it was a loose nut holding the female cable plug in place. I tightened it up and all was well. I did some static testing and found it wasn't reading out very accurately. A quarter often showed up as a dime, a dime as a penny and a penny as a dime! Of course static testing isn't all too accurate so I will have to test it in actual field use to see if it is accurate. With the sensitivity set on seven and no discrimination, all the coins tested would make a static response at about 8". Testing at higher sensitivity levels inside would pick up interference from metal inside the house and was not accurate. The problem with excessive noise seems to have been fixed as I could run it over the concrete slab floor and pick up individual signals of the re-bars without responses bleeding over and causing excessive chatter. That was why I sent it in to be checked. So, all that remains is to get out and do some hunting! If the temps reach the sixties tomorrow as forecast I will be out at the lake hitting some exposed beaches that were under water earlier. I haven't had a decent find in a month and I desperately need a fix! Monty

Great news, Monty! Hopefully all will be well, but don't forget to take your Ace 250 just in case! ;D

HH, ya'll!

I took it out for a test run in a well hunted place this afternoon. Seems to be working ok. Found lots of trash! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back