Why a Garretts instead of one of the others?

S

sobered91

Why a Garrett's instead of one of the others?

Hi

I'm new to detecting,and I'm trying to figure out what kinda detector to get.
I'll be moving to England and I would like to take the easiest to use,most top of the line detector with me.
There's so much information about so many detectors,it's got my head swimming.
So,to the subject,why a Garrett's instead of one of the others?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why a Garrett's instead of one of the others?

I am a dedicated Garrett detector user, however I won't recommend only a Garrett detector since I don't know the conditions that exist where you might be detecting.? I am guessing you want a general purpose detector as opposed to a specific use detector such as an under water unit?? Ok, here's what you will need or what I would select if it were me.? You will be using it under variable climatic and physical use conditions.? You will want a detector that has an automatic ground balance feature as well as the ability to manually ground balance the unit if necessary.? The automatic ground balance for ease of operation and the manual ground balance for unusual ground conditions you might encounter.? For ease of operation and to shorten the learning curve you will want a legible LCD readout screen. You will want a detector that is known for its easy to operate and accurate pinpointing ability. Keeping in mind your requirement for ease of operation and learning to operate it, you will want one with seveal preset programs with variable discrimination levels, and the ability to discriminate out various other targets at will.? You will want a detector that allows you to control or adjust the accessory features such as sensitivity, volume, tone, threshold., etc.? An all metal feature is pretty much standard on most detectors today and is desirable.? ?You will want a detector that can operate on more than one frequency to aoid interference from other detectors being operated in the same area as yours.? If you plan to? hunt in the dark, or under dim light conditions a backlight feature is desirable so you can read the LCD screen without using a seperate handheld light source.? ?You will want a detector that has a reasonably priced selection of coils available.? The coils themselves should be waterproof, capable of being submersed. You will want to purchase coil covers to prevent accidental damage and premature wear to coils. A good quality set of headphones is desirable.? Stick with a well known brand name domestic made detector with a full service factory backup and/or customer service department.? Visit the various manufacturer's websites and keep up to date on the latest technical developments.? Seek out and read all the hands on evaluations made by unbiased individuals you can find.? Be skeptical of a manufacturer evaluating their own equipment.? Follow this guide and you should come out fine.? So, why do I use Garrett equipment?? My GTI 2500 has all the features just enumerated and a few more!? Be skeptical of my evaluatioin as well!? Monty

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Sobered,

what Monty said.

plus

If you can hook up with a metal detecting club before you buy you will have the opportunity of testing out
different machines; a dealer can help you, but remember it is his job, his income.

Whatever, stick with a name brand.

have a good un...........

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? Oh Sure!!? ?If you want to go about it the right way, you can do what these guys said.
Or you can do it the way I do...........hmm..... u know?.....I think maybe you should do it their way.? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I agree with them.? ?And like them, I would advise you to stay with the name brands ?But as far as which brand, that should be whichever one you decide suit's you best.? ?

? ? ? ? ?Y heck !!? ? ?I wouldn't buy a mule from these two.? Well.....uh....no more than the two I already bought from them , anyway? ? ? ?HH

? ? ?
? ? ?
? ? ?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Ask your questions on the following site.However,whichever you decide on,buy the unit over here as it will be much more enexpensive.They are a lot higher in the uk.You might want to ask how they handle warranties and shipping to.Goodluck and just because you are moving to England,don't desert this forum!

http://forumukdetectornet.co.uk/phpBB2/portal.php?

D

DavHut(SC)

Well at first glance Id ask why not? The Garretts do a bang up job and the service, if needed, is excellent.
However, upon learning you are headed to the UK I'll stick my neck out and opt for only one brand, contrary to Monty's sage, if non-committal, advice.

That brand is Tesoro and Id make it a Vaquero, Cibola, or Lobo and if you like Id displays, the DeLeon/Cortes models.

Why? In the UK its all about adverse conditions - bad soil, coke slag, iron scatter, etc. The Tesoro's seem to shine a bit brighter under these conditions from what my UK correspondents say. If I was going to England tomorrow to detect, Id take only one unit down off the wall: my Vaquero.

It's easier to learn than some like to let on and it has the depth and stability to cut it over there in the Mother Country. It is lightweight and can be used all day, when others have fagged out to the pub. It only needs one 9V battery and you can carry several spares in your vest pocket. Did I mention it's not at all hard to learn? I believe they also have a service entity over there, should you need it.

Sorry Charles Garrett, but my 1350, 250 and Freedom would be staying home. I'd be going Tesoro.

dAvid

Earl

Sep 16, 2004

Monty, a quick question for you from buffaloearl. Do you know Charles Garrett and have you ever gone on a treasure hunt with him. I have some Garrett treasure hunting tapes and really like Charles Garrett as he looks like he really lives for treasure hunting. Anyway getting back to the original subject, on these tapes he has some friends along and one of them is Monty Moncrief. Is this you or is Monty just your forum name. I just have to know, my curiosity has the best of me sorry. If you are him , cool and I am happy to make your acquaintence.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, I am not the Monty of which you speak. I simply stole my forum name from Montgomery Burns of The Simpsons on TV. We had several The Simpsons fans at my work and since I was the boss they got to calling me Mr. Burns. As time went on, I in turn gave most of them a moniker from the TV show and we jokingly had nearly the whole Simpsons cast working in the office. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i can tell you why i chose a GTI 2500. i had been considering the MINELAB EXPLORER2 and the WHITES DFX, and a few of the things that sold me on the GTI were the ease of operation. compared to the compition, the GTI is was easier to understand with a shallow learning curve compared to the other top of the line models.it has decent depth, and i really liked the fact that the GTI uses a target imaging feature based on size, where all of the others were based on a vdi number (or in minelabs case numbers). (im bad at remembering numbers and the targets size seemed more usefull to me).it also is deadly accurate to pinpoint with. the minelab machine has been critisized in the past for being a bit tricky in this department. one thing i noticed while engaged in the daunting task of detector shopping was that all of the top of the line detectors from the major manufacturers all seem to be in the same ballpark performance wise. sure, there are differances, but the differances in performance seemed to be minimal. because of this, i picked the machine that was layed out the simplest, and made the most sense to me, and that machine was the GTI 2500. hope this helps.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think it was the imaging thing that sold me also. Knowing what size the target is eliminates a lot of junk. This is especially true if you hunt coins and jewelry, which is my thing. Artifacts other than bullets might be another matter? But if you research your site and know what you are apt to find, the imaging feature can help a lot. I don't purposly hunt clad but I don't turn it down either. Last night was my and my wife's 35th anniversary. I cashed in the coins I have picked up just since Christmas and I was surprised to have $71.36! That bought our dinner at Red Lobster. I know, not the best seafood, but when you're a thousand miles from the sea you don't have much choice! Monty

R

rvbvetter

That's a great use for found clad. Happy Anniversary!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread