GTI 2500 questions

scubamike

Sep 1, 2008
Spring/The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter/Garrett GTI 2500
I have a new GTI 2500. I have read all the directions (a first for me). :icon_study: I take it to a test plot as recommended. I put down a quarter, penny and my gold ring all about a foot or so apart. It rings on each in coin mode but when I pinpoint in coin mode it shows the quarter as a bottle cap and larger than a coin. It shows the penny as foil and larger than a coin. The ring also shows up as a bottle cap. When I switch to jewelery mode the ring shows as something other than a coin and the coins show as trash. Am I doing some thing wrong.

Scubamike

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
My experience with my GTI1500 may be relevant. Very shallow or surface items will Image too large, and vice versa for very deep items. Imaging works a certain percentage of the time, enough to be useful. As to the misidentification, not sure about that. Pinpointing is best done by moving the coil to the side, slide it on the ground if possible while pressing the Pinpoint pad and obtaining the maximum signal strength.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan about nailed it. The modes change the values of the targets and it takes some getting used too. A reason to not use them at all.

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
The phase shift measurement that is the basis of discrimination may be overwhelmed by a signal that is too strong. That could explain why some items on the surface could be misidentified. The best way to use discrimination on any detector is to screen out the obvious junk and dig just about everything else. Of course, when you're in a park that is dry and it is a good idea to minimize disturbing the soil, that is the time to only dig the signals that indicate desirable items. There is a park near my apartment that has really old pipes way down which I found using another detector. Thanks to sizing, I can skip digging those items. Easier on me and makes the park maintenance people happy!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubamike said:
I have a new GTI 2500. I have read all the directions (a first for me). :icon_study: I take it to a test plot as recommended. I put down a quarter, penny and my gold ring all about a foot or so apart. It rings on each in coin mode but when I pinpoint in coin mode it shows the quarter as a bottle cap and larger than a coin. It shows the penny as foil and larger than a coin. The ring also shows up as a bottle cap. When I switch to jewelery mode the ring shows as something other than a coin and the coins show as trash. Am I doing some thing wrong.

Scubamike

I never noticed I had that problem. By the time I'm pinpointing, I know what I have; it's just a question of where it is.

Try raising the coil to pinpoint and ID. But I put the coil on the ground a little to the side and then slide the coil over the target. It sort of "balances out", making the signal a sharply defined one.

Practice, practice, practice.

Lizard-Prince

Jun 5, 2008
Bayamon P.R.
Detector(s) used
DFX,BH ID,5000s2,AT Max,MX Sport,Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi! I reed your delema and think the members have a better insight on this issue than me.I got my 2500 this past month on the 28th and I am picking up quite a speed on the recovery of clads mainly memorial pennys.I was planning on makeing a new subject on this unit to clarify my small delema when I spotted yours.How long have you had yours? My delema is similar to yours but in my case is a one beep or partial sound when I get a target then it sounds no more I get the reading on the grafic as good with both cursors top and bottom on. No matter how much scanning I can't pick it up again.I am using as my main loop the small baby one the image big one I reserve for the beach I have more control with it there. I have learned so far that a constant sound without dropping out on the first would give me a green light to go for it. I have spotted in various occations a penny locking in in the gold zone and not under the penny id grafic where its supose to be. Just a moral booster for you and to all of us just don't let frustration make you a victim learn it as best you can,every thing will come to terms as we use it more each day.Well pal hope you can solve your predicament soon as much as mine. ??? This is a run down on my clad coin recovery so far hope this stimulates you and the others.
Penneys= $2.11, Nickels= $1.35, Dimes= $3.40, Quarters= $5.00 Good luck and good hunting yours truely Ralph. :thumbsup:

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with all, but that is also why the 2500 is different. It gives you an idea. Addionally, if the coin is on edge it may show differently. I just love how I can almost tell what I have before I did it up. then again when I dig everything I am surprised to find something unknown.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
KevinH said:
I just love how I can almost tell what I have before I dig it up.

Yessiree......You nailed it! Once you have gotten to the point (with any detector) where you tell the detector, not the other way around what's under the coil, you have mastered that machine and finding good targets in a minimal amount of time is like taking candy from a baby. But it takes a lot of work, and that's the secret. :thumbsup:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two different GTI 2500s over the past 3 or 4 years.  Both did exactly the same so at least I can say between the two they were consistent. 

With both you could never be 100% sure if you were digging a penny or a dime because sometimes it would register as the opposite.  Depending on the area and my time, I just dig almost everything in the coin size range.  If the area is very trashy I will notch out nickels because the pull tabs fall in that range, yeah I know, sometimes some lower conductive gold rings too.  I went with a friend last month to a park, he had his Minelab Sovereign GT and I had my GTI.  After 1 1/2 hours of hunting I had a pocket of coins and he had a pocket of junk.  I found almost $7 in change, no jewelry.  He found 13 cents and a pocket of pull tabs, and some of those pull tabs were recovered at almost 12 inches.  I'm not saying the Sovereign is bad, I'm just saying that using the GTI saved me a lot of time and helped me recover a lot more coins than my friend did.  Now he with the Sovereign can leave me far behind at the beach, there isn't one time that the guy goes and doesn't find something good.

I have hunted in all metal and was impressed at how deep it will go.  Also when hunting in all metal, you can look at the meter to have a more or less idea of what is down there.  I then use pinpoint because I don't want to be digging up a beer can at 12 inches down and destroy 3 feet of grass to get to it. 

By the way, when the GTI gives you the bell tone of a coin but on the meter it shows it one notch to the left of penny, it will be almost 100% of the time a non copper penny (zinc/copper).  I say almost because sometimes some junk can slip in there too.  But with my experience, it never turned out to be a copper penny, dime, quarter, etc.  Quarters are another one that the machine is pretty exact about.  It doesn't get confused like it does with pennies and dimes.  There have been a few cases where the machine said 50 cents and after digging some of the soil out of the hole it then registered as a quarter.

Good luck with your GTI.  Just like the advertisement says you will dig less junk.  I love mine and would never part with it again.  If I could get my first one back I would apologize to it for selling it.  I was one of those that just had to try out as many machines that I could.  Every one I tried after I didn't like because I wanted the features that the GTI had.  I know that this is my opinion and the others that post here will probably have a different one, in which we are all entitled too.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Due to an affect known as Metallurgical Phenomenon freshly buried coins or other items are often difficult to even detect let alone get an accurate reading on. Go find something than has been in the ground for awhile.

Bill

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of John with stomping effect. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Go after a nice rain also will produce more. GTI is by far agreat and awesome machine. The greenmachine.

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello.i use it only whith eagle eye coil.for profonde prospection.
whit the other coils.its not the perfect as you see in commercial publicher.not more performant than any m d made in china. :tard:i bought it for 3000$ :tard:

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
When pinpointing slide the coil all the way off the target, press pinpoint, then move back over the target. Keep the coil at least an inch off the ground. Garrett coils are not fond of scrubbing. Centering the target correctly is absolutely crucial with a GTI for accurate readings. Drop your sensitivity down to 6 or 6.5 and leave it there until you have learned this machine well. Drop your threshold down to a very faint hum.

Bill

tom917

Greenie
Feb 12, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is hunting at the beach with the GTI 2500

Can anyone give me any tips.

I seem to be fine when hunting dry sand but when I am hunting wet or black sand the machine goes wild no mater what mode I'm in.

For what it worth I did hear that multi frequency detectors are good for wet sand and since the GTI 2500 has a multi frequency feature would this be a fix for the problem?

I am a newbe so in any case please let me know the best way to hunt the beach with the Garrett GTI 2500.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had two different GTI 2500s over the past 3 or 4 years.  Both did exactly the same so at least I can say between the two they were consistent. 

With both you could never be 100% sure if you were digging a penny or a dime because sometimes it would register as the opposite.  Depending on the area and my time, I just dig almost everything in the coin size range.  If the area is very trashy I will notch out nickels because the pull tabs fall in that range, yeah I know, sometimes some lower conductive gold rings too.  I went with a friend last month to a park, he had his Minelab Sovereign GT and I had my GTI.  After 1 1/2 hours of hunting I had a pocket of coins and he had a pocket of junk.  I found almost $7 in change, no jewelry.  He found 13 cents and a pocket of pull tabs, and some of those pull tabs were recovered at almost 12 inches.  I'm not saying the Sovereign is bad, I'm just saying that using the GTI saved me a lot of time and helped me recover a lot more coins than my friend did.  Now he with the Sovereign can leave me far behind at the beach, there isn't one time that the guy goes and doesn't find something good.

I have hunted in all metal and was impressed at how deep it will go.  Also when hunting in all metal, you can look at the meter to have a more or less idea of what is down there.  I then use pinpoint because I don't want to be digging up a beer can at 12 inches down and destroy 3 feet of grass to get to it. 

By the way, when the GTI gives you the bell tone of a coin but on the meter it shows it one notch to the left of penny, it will be almost 100% of the time a non copper penny (zinc/copper).  I say almost because sometimes some junk can slip in there too.  But with my experience, it never turned out to be a copper penny, dime, quarter, etc.  Quarters are another one that the machine is pretty exact about.  It doesn't get confused like it does with pennies and dimes.  There have been a few cases where the machine said 50 cents and after digging some of the soil out of the hole it then registered as a quarter.

Good luck with your GTI.  Just like the advertisement says you will dig less junk.  I love mine and would never part with it again.  If I could get my first one back I would apologize to it for selling it.  I was one of those that just had to try out as many machines that I could.  Every one I tried after I didn't like because I wanted the features that the GTI had.  I know that this is my opinion and the others that post here will probably have a different one, in which we are all entitled too.
What does ..&#160 mean ... ??

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the gti 2500 is not a muti. freq detector it is a single freq. detector... it is not a wet salt sand beach detector I have the gti 2500 it struggles in the wet salt sand
falses to much

tom917

Greenie
Feb 12, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTI 2500 in wet sand

the gti 2500 is not a muti. freq detector it is a single freq. detector... it is not a wet salt sand beach detector I have the gti 2500 it struggles in the wet salt sand
falses to much

Ok, I just got this thing a month ago and I do like it's features aside from it being as heavy as my B.A.R. I had when I was in the Corp.

Since you have the GTI 2500 can you please tell me how you get around the problems of hunting wet sand at the beach.

Thank you

Tom917

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try a slower swing, or a DD coil 8.5x11", lower sensitivity, the concentric round coils read more ground all at once ,the DD coil should help ... I used my 2500 at the
beach in the wet sand with the stock coil falses to much, dry sand it works great... I use my Minelab explorer for the wet sand at the beach...that detector sends
multi. freqencys at one time into the ground...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread