GTP 1350 on the Fritz. Any help?

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Had my 1350 for over 3 years now and today is the first time anything like this has happend. (I just hunted yesterday too and no problems) I was about 1 hour into my hunt today and I get a signal that is good enough to make me stop and check it. When I look down the screen on the left side is fading! From iron to a nickel almost can't be seen. I didn't know what was going on so i changed batteries just to be sure. It still kept happening. Turn it off then back on and it looked just fine for about a minute then my WHOLE screen starts to fade to nothing from left to right. All except my ID arrow at the top. I still got threshold hum in my HP and the machine still works just fine, even dug a wheat cent while it was acting like this all with NOTHING on the screen, just looks like it is turned off accept for the target ID arrow, like I said, is bold as ever. And when I go went to pinpoint the proximity bar across the top is bold as ever, but the depth bars are hit and miss. Example: the blocks over .5 through 3 would show up bold then 3.5 and 4 weren't there, then 4.5 and 5 were there bold. I noticed finally that I if I squeezed (gently) the housing it would all show up normal. But when I let go it would start to all fade away again. Always from left to right. Maybe a connection loose?

I'm a little scared, but I'm sure if anything is really wrong with her Garrett will fix her no problem. But still she is my baby and she's sick :'( (can metal detectors get the swine flu?) Though if anybody would understand it would be you guys. :wink: ;D

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated. - TG

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Could you have perhaps gotten moisture into the unit? If so, take out the batteries and leave them out for 24 hours. Keep the detector in a warm (but not hot) place for 24 hours.

Try pushing and holding the on/off button for at least 10 seconds, in which the detector will reset itself to the original default mode. Still not working?

Call Garrett @ 1-800-527-4011 & ask for Sue Harper or Melinda. They are very knowledgeable and great to help problem solve. Good luck!

John

Rickiowa2009

Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!
GTP1350, if you accidentally drop it the circuit boards will pull lose and it will act goofy. Speaking from experience, it happened a couple of times, leaned against the car and it slid off. Do a reset once you put it back together.
Rick

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Thanks for the replies. The problem was fixed and I even upgraded. My Dad now uses my old 1350 and I got a 2500!

TG

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasgopher said:
Thanks for the replies. The problem was fixed and I even upgraded. My Dad now uses my old 1350 and I got a 2500!

TG

Do you like the 2500 better????? How is it weight wise???? What about stability, my 1350 make a lot of chatter...Thanks, Tom

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
gallileo60 said:
Texasgopher said:

TG

Do you like the 2500 better????? How is it weight wise???? What about stability, my 1350 make a lot of chatter...Thanks, Tom

I do like the 2500 better! The weight was a shock at first but after a few months I don't even think about it being heavy. If you just use it consistently you will get used to it. The 2500 is very stable here. It might act differently where you are though. I did love my 1350 and still miss it sometimes, but only because it was my "first." I can't imagine using anything other then the 2500.

TG

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasgopher said:
gallileo60 said:
Texasgopher said:

TG

I do like the 2500 better! The weight was a shock at first but after a few months I don't even think about it being heavy. If you just use it consistently you will get used to it. The 2500 is very stable here. It might act differently where you are though. I did love my 1350 and still miss it sometimes, but only because it was my "first." I can't imagine using anything other then the 2500.

TG

What would you say are the main things you like better...Also is there any difference in depth in general???? Thanks for the info.....Tom

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
All-metal mode. I can scan a hole with it after I dig a target to make absolutely sure I'm not leaving anything. This was one of the big things I found interesting about this machine but I haven't used it a lot yet and need to experiment with running in all-metal the whole hunt.

Search image. Is a useful tool in some situation where there is a lot of big junk targets. Lets me just take a peek at the screen and bypass it for a potentially smaller "coin" size target. Because I have found that with the search image on while sweeping over a target it will sometimes give you a bigger size then when you pinpoint(understandable) So if I run my coil over a target and get an "E" or "D" size I ignore it. If it says "C" "B" or "A" I take a closer look.

Last mode is useful. Similar to the 1350 but basically expanded because you can switch between to discriminate modes or all-metal with just the push of a botton.

Surface Elimination. Another thing I was really interested in but still need to experiment with more. I have found it useful in trashy parks when most of the trash is in the first 2 inches. This has mostly helped me find clad though. I think it will be a useful tool to find some old coins. I just have yet to put in the time I need to to really make it work for me.

Backlight botton: Simple but it's nice to be so accessible. Think about it. When it's getting dark and you want to keep hunting you just push 1 botton. With my 1350 by the time I realized I couldn't see the screen anymore I also couldn't see to know where I was in the menu to turn the light on.

Coil options. I liked what I had heard about the Exelerator coils and I bought the 5 in for the 2500. Not compatible with the 1350. I also like that the coils for the 2500 are round. Both the 10 in and the 12 in and I think it is due to this design that I do seam to find some stuff deeper with the 2500 then with the 1350.

TG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread