Guess I'm collecting bottle caps now :(

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learning a new machine stinks. After a few hunts with the deus I'm getting very proficient at digging bottle caps.. here's some of my better ones.
IMG_1530.JPG

Where's the small violin emoji?? :crying: :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 18

jwp1964

Dec 18, 2014
Maryville, TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Lite, Garrett Freedom Ace Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'm collecting bottle caps now 😞

After some practice you'll be able to make the call On bottle caps vs coin 98% of the time. Move your coil away and you'll get iron grunt toward the edges.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One day, one of those caps will surprise you. Dig and enjoy. You might end up with a gold ring or coin.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The site today was a church from at 1909 I believe. It's a carpet of nails. Ive dug some nice finds there. 3 ringer wheats and a 1888 Indian head penny.

The Etrac is useless there, but the deus in the sifter program allowed me to dig extra targets so I'm happy with that.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The site today was a church from at 1909 I believe. It's a carpet of nails. Ive dug some nice finds there. 3 ringer wheats and a 1888 Indian head penny.

The Etrac is useless there, but the deus in the sifter program allowed me to dig extra targets so I'm happy with that.

Useless E-trac? Hard to believe. Have you tried Bills trashy parks program?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, welcome to the "frustrated new Deus owner" club! The advice I got was to use Deus fast for at least a few months until it all makes sense. THEN maybe try some tweaking. Keep it simple for a while and you will be greatly rewarded.

And for the record, your bottlecaps are way nicer than the ones I dug today.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, the DEUS sure do love those steel bottle caps. I have found that if the VDI is boucing all over the place from 95 down to 88,, then it is probably a steel bottle. Add a nice "POP" to that bouncing signal and you have a bottle cap signature.
If there is just a tiny sliver of black in your horse shoe depth gauge and your VDI is 97, or 98,, dig it. I have pulled some sweet silver coins from 7 or 8 inches on those numbers. There is a sweet tone to silver when the DEUS coil goes over it,, listen for the tone and stay away from digging those "POPS"

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aluminum screw caps will sound off great, better than the steel caps. Being new on the Deus (2.5 months) I tried a pull over rest area spot a couple of weeks ago, 15 minutes in I laughed at my silliness in believing I could figure out what was what in the trash laden grass.
The ETrac will sniff out the goods in heavy iron, but one has to swing so slow it's painful almost, but the deus will sniff them out better I have found.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not giving up it's just coming from the Etrac I know when to dig, and 90% of the time I'm correct, but I know the machine pretty well... well well enough to know what 12/46 is! Lol

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that display case ready ! Good luck on learning your new detector. We've all been there. Its not so bad when you stay within a brand you know, but when you want to go from a Fisher to a Minelab, or Whites to Garrett, the learning curve becomes a little more intense.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that switching between frequencies when i suspect a bottle cap helps me ID it:

If the vdi is in the low 90's at 11.6 or 17.6 mHz frequency, I will switch down to 4 mHz and if it's actually a bottle cap, the vdi will actually jump up over what it was at the other frequencies, into the high 90's, usually 97 or 98.. If, on the other hand, if it's something worth digging, the vdi will show in the high 80's at 4 mHz.

Test it out and see, I've found it saves me a lot of digging...

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby shore iz goin' ta the dogs! Why.....I can 'members when I used to actually find coins when I took my detector for a walk. :tongue3:

Keep at it! Any new machine needs time to get figured out!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a lot of good advice. it all depends on where I am, because if the targets are not super heavy, I dig all targets just because. yep, I get the occasional steel bottle cap and aluminum screw ons but occasionally I get a very welcomed surprise. there are so many variables that can cause misleading signals that I usually bite the bullet and go ahead and dig that signal that I really think is ring pull or tab. I do like being wrong when it turns out to be something otherwise. Besides, being older and all that, I need the exercise of bending over, getting up and down. the more that I use my Deus, the more I like it. I use a modified program most of the time but easily switch over to a Sifter program to check questionable signals when I am tired and don't want to dig anymore rusty iron that sounds pretty good.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some practice you'll be able to make the call On bottle caps vs coin 98% of the time. Move your coil away and you'll get iron grunt toward the edges.

Those older Aluminum types are tough to call.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wiggle method worked well today in full tones Gary's sifted program. I'd wiggle back hear a grunt and yup.. bottle cap. The almost always ring up as 86 in 17 kHz

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know how you feel (especially in the tropic climate) our area has been under.

"patience young darktower007"
Good Luck

It's always a Winch learning a New machine, i'm still learning my G2 & have almost 100 hours using it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that display case ready ! Good luck on learning your new detector. We've all been there. Its not so bad when you stay within a brand you know, but when you want to go from a Fisher to a Minelab, or Whites to Garrett, the learning curve becomes a little more intense.

Yea, for real , I went from "Beep" with my Whites , Tesoro, even old 1266-X ; to a "Wraaaaaa" sound that I still don't like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread