Guidance

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend asked if I could help determining what to so with an artifact she has had in her possesion for many years and finally wants to know what to do with it.
Looking for a place to start. Only information I have on it is that it was found in the Gulf about 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am hoping that I have attached an image to this post.

Ron Reiter

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicest one I have ever seen. Maybe, if I could see it.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Now that is a beauty.....I would almost have to say put it back where you found it and forget about it......

OP
OP
R

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured out how to attach files, I think.

Attached.

A friend asked if I could help determining what to so with an artifact she has had in her possesion for many years and finally wants to know what to do with it.
Looking for a place to start. Only information I have on it is that it was found in the Gulf about 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am hoping that I have attached an image to this post.

Ron Reiter

Attachments

• 9F2D1778-FFC4-4284-AA6D-D20E166854D2.jpg
    9F2D1778-FFC4-4284-AA6D-D20E166854D2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 68
  • 913DF2F7-0956-4FB0-B69F-F7710AD51A6D (1).jpg
    913DF2F7-0956-4FB0-B69F-F7710AD51A6D (1).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 64

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like raphael was battling splinter and lost his sai. In all seriousness though, Really interesting piece. Im thinking contacting a museum or someone would be beneficial to helping you out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! There are professional cleaning techniques that can truly turn that piece into a collector's item. Please... PROFFESIONAL restoration only! TTC

OP
OP
R

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Maritime museum? Definately don't remove the crust right?
Ron

looks like raphael was battling splinter and lost his sai. In all seriousness though, Really interesting piece. Im thinking contacting a museum or someone would be beneficial to helping you out.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be gentle with that,,
The only problem with seeking help from museums,
especially in Florida, is that they are going to want to know how it came to be in your possesion or where it was found. If it is the real deal, , you may lose it to state authorities.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To my untrained eye that looks like it could be a 17th century main gauche. A parrying dagger used in the weak hand as a companion to a rapier. Definitely worth getting to a proper expert in marine artifacts.

on8833__25.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks much for that Info. Would have never thought of that. I have no idea of where it was found only 30 miles off of Tampa Bay. Do you think electrolosis would be effective?
Ron

Be gentle with that,,
The only problem with seeking help from museums,
especially in Florida, is that they are going to want to know how it came to be in your possesion or where it was found. If it is the real deal, , you may lose it to state authorities.

OP
OP
R

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I would agree with that. Could have saved a butt load of time if I would have checked with you guys first.
Ron

OP
OP
R

Ronreiter

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Probably not too many dealers in Indiana. Mel Fishers was no help at all.
Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions