Guilford and ?

Alexander997

Jun 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B3874E7F-07ED-47A5-B082-EA8B3819B187.jpeg82FF161B-9AF3-4527-8F95-FAD54BBFE68D.jpegB5395A31-23E1-42DA-B096-4976532EE386.jpeg

Found these this morning artifact hunting, I think the one on the right side of the quarter could be a Guilford Point? I could be wrong and I’d appreciate if someone more knowledgeable could correct me. The one on the left I think is some sort of pre form? Again, I appreciate any help, I’m such a novice at this.

Upvote 0
It is hard to tell from where I set. The one on the top or right side of the quarter looks like it could be a biface, but I only see photos of one side. A large portion of bifaces and points can not be reliably identified as being of a certain recognized point type, and I would suggest that may be the case with this item. I would not type it as a Guilford from what I can see. The bottom piece of quartz looks like worked material to me, and from what I can see I would call it a flake or debitage, as I can not tell from here if it has any small intentional flakes removed to create a cutting or scraping edge? I would bet there is more to found where they came from, and wish you success on future hunts.

They both look like small quarts triangle points, but like redbeard said, it’s tough to see from the pictures.
I suggest using a dark background for such highly translucent material. I use close direct lighting. That may be helpful to try. Quartz artifacts are hard to capture well in photos.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back