gun flint?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
all this talk of gun flints got me thinking....I always supposed this was a broken base to a point but now I am not all that sure. it is nicely flaked all the way around but as you can see it is snapped on two sides...cleanly snapped with no sign of wear after the break. Is this a gun flint?...If so it would have been from a trade gun supplied by HBC or NWC...or even Astor's company...Mouth of the Columbia area.

Attachments

• DSC04841.JPG
    DSC04841.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC04847.JPG
    DSC04847.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC04853.JPG
    DSC04853.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that honey gun flint but I do not know. Often they look like that french material. I do not know Unclemac.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
I've found several like that here in the Northwest, and I call my material chalcedony/agate. There's not a lot of flint in that area, and the odds of that being flint from a trade gun has to be astronomical...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So why are some called french and some called others? If they were found in USA ? That is if I am reading it correct.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I've found several like that here in the Northwest, and I call my material chalcedony/agate. There's not a lot of flint in that area, and the odds of that being flint from a trade gun has to be astronomical...

...because?....even Tacoma had a HBC fort at one time....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know for sure.. but there were alot of guns that used Flint..so odds are its not from a trade gun.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
totally appears to be a gun flint

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quite possible that it's a French gunflint. Sometimes it's hard to ID something from a photo though.

Rock, they are called French because they were manufactured in France. At that time period England and France were the main manufacturers of gunflints for the world.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
You will never know for sure.. but there were alot of guns that used Flint..so odds are its not from a trade gun.

true, but the area wasn't settled to any extent until the the 1850's...

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
does anyone have examples of what a broken gun flint looks like? this one is broken along two perpendicular sides...clean snaps the length of both sides.

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
broken flint 001.JPG broken flint 003.JPG

Heres a pic of a broken English gunflint. It is really easy to ID this example because of the manufacturing technique used on English flints.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many broken pieces.
I will post later if you need.
That's just what happens to flints.
Looks like damage from striking on yours also.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
although a french or english gun flint is a rare find i am gonna have to agree that it could be a gun flint

the shape is correct and as far as a scraper it is possible but not the average more common shape

i have to agree with gator......we will never know for sure from these images (which are quite good)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So why are some called french and some called others? If they were found in USA ? That is if I am reading it correct.

The French, the English, and the natives themselves all made gunflints. The amber colored or honey colored ones were made in France, the others in England, and of course you can find native gunflints made from their local flints, but many were obtained from the Europeans. So if they are amber, they are usually ID'd as French gunflints. This one is English, and looks like it wasn't used up before lost...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
QUOTE=scepter1; I've found several like that here in the Northwest, and I call my material chalcedony/agate. There's not a lot of flint in that area, and the odds of that being flint from a trade gun has to be astronomical...

[QUOTE=unclemac;3539212]...because?....even Tacoma had a HBC fort at one time....[/QUOTE] As I said -> astronomical odds

QUOTE=unclemac true, but the area wasn't settled to any extent until the the 1850's... Even more of a resaon to be astronomical odds

How many trade guns have ever been found on the lower Columbia? None(?)

How many gunflints have eve been found on the lower Columbia? None(?)

How many gunflints from France have been found on the lower Columbia? None(?)

l find gold when I go gold panning. i also find pyrite and mica that's the right size and looks just like gold, but that doesn't make it gold no matter how much i want it to be....

I'd happy with a chalcedony/agate scraper, knife part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread