I have been told this is Indian made but can not verify. Anyone have any ideas on ID?

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
045.JPG 046.JPG 047.JPG 049.JPG

Upvote 0

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does the hole go all the way through ?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yummy! Looks like a pipe of some sort. Welcome to the site, rock.........Oh does the hole go all the way through it?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats what i was thinking to rock

XDSA40

Oct 27, 2012
IN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LarryB, I found one practically identical to yours...color, size, size of bore, etc in southern Indiana. I posted a pic of it on another forum several years ago and was told (by a native american) that it is most likely a fire piston. I never confirmed it with anyone else, though. The pics of mine were lost when my pc fried and I had already passed the item on to my grand daughter. I'll be interested to see what others here have to say. :icon_thumleft:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the hole the same size all the way through? It could be a Tube Pipe if the holed tapers to one end or possibly a Tube Banner if the hole is the same all the way through.

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes The hole goes all the way through and seems to stay the same size. I have found several of these in the last five years along a river in Ohio. The person who told me it was Indian made was at the river looking for artifacts. The thing that makes me wonder if it is old is that it seems to be made of a graphite type of material and I don't know where Indians would have found this material.

Last edited:

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be a banner stone to me and if you have found a number of them, then the stones origin may not be far off or they could have traded the stone with other people. It's a great find:notworthy:Thanks for posting it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes The hole goes all the way through and seems to stay the same size. I have found several of these in the last five years along a river in Ohio. The person who told me it was Indian made was at the river looking for artifacts. The thing that makes me wonder if it is old is that it seems to be made of a graphite type of material and I don't know where Indians would have found this material.

Id like to see a group shot of them if you dont mind? You are lucky the guy at the river didnt push you down for it and then take it and run. They are a rare find if it is a banner stone. Just dont find them everyday.

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) Here is a group shot for you and a few of the points I have found in the same area. I am not hunting artifacts at the river but if I see one I do pick it up. I collect old glass and this is a special area for the glass I look for. I was named the North American Sea Glass Association collector of the year last year for glass I found here. Would still be cool if these are Indian made.
005.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no idea but it would have to be a big battery to fit the large one, Its about 16" long.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look really cool but could they be old battery cores?
They sure have that old dry cell battery look to me as well.Here's one I've saved over the years found in the water.i've seen others but never keep them anymore.If it's kinda lite for it's size as you sorta hinted to then it's likely what they are.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 19[1].jpg
    19[1].jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 91

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those points are awesome...Id give anything to have a place like that to hunt for points...do you have any pics of the sea glass?

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Yes got side tracked on your other & over looked the points they are very nice.:headbang: And if I was you I'd spend a little time around that area after them bad boy's.8-)
Take Care,
Welcome to the forum,
Pete,:hello:

OP
OP
L

Larryb

Dec 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have a lot of pics of the glass i find.
IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1608.JPG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that tan and white point is sweet. Nice glass by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread