Gun guys! How old might this be?

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last week I posted, among a few other items, an 1838 large cent from an old homestead in the neighborhood where I grew up. Before I started, another neighbor told me about the "musket" found on the property I was about to do. Today, I went over to do some more detecting and some of the surviving family was there. The father died just about a month ago; it was he who found the gun in question. One of the sons-in-law went to a shed and pulled it out to show me; I was duly impressed. I was a history major and don't know much about guns but I can appreciate the history of most artifacts. I was happy to see it, but I didn't do cartwheels; I figured the gun had to be at least a hundred years old, probably more, so I appreciated it from that perspective and thanked the host for showing it to me. He put it away and came back out a few minutes later and gave it to me! That was the furthest thing from my mind when I first saw it; I certainly didn't covet it or hold it tight to my chest. Evidently, the deceased had found it while digging for some project in his yard; there was an old homestead a few hundred feet away and we figure that anything "older" was associated with it. For example, the 1951 Washington quarter found there today wasn't:laughing7:. Is this today's find? No. Could have been, had it not been found already:tongue3:. I hope the pictures help with identification.

Attachments

• Sheesgun 001 (Small).jpg
    Sheesgun 001 (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Sheesgun 002 (Small).jpg
    Sheesgun 002 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Sheesgun 003 (Small).jpg
    Sheesgun 003 (Small).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 8

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken is correct about the conversion, it is a Belgian conversion. The hammer has a twist to center it over a nipple threaded into the top of the barrel. I am still unsure of what type of musket it was, the lockplate shape does not appear correct to be a US 1816, but I suppose the rust may be making it look off. Whatever it was, it definitely started out life as a musket and was shortened.

Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!!! what a great gift !!! Congrats !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread