Texas
Primary Interest:
Other

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
She had been robbed before. The story said that's why she got a gun to defend herself. Everyone has a breaking point where they say "enough is enough" and they decide to act rather than sit and take it, whatever "it" is. That was her breaking point. Yours may be different. Mine may be as well. But if we are going to continue to be a free society we need to have those basic rights. Getting out of bed in the morning and stepping outside is "risky". You are free to stay in bed though if you're afraid. She decided that making a stand was worth the risk. She has my utmost respect for that and I am seriously bummed that she didn't kill them all. If that makes me cold hearted towards thugs then so be it.

Can't disagree with anything you've said here. She has my respect as well. It just sounds like, in this case, the gun may have given her a false sense of security (against three thugs!). I just have to believe she would probably be alive today had she not pulled out her gun.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your heart is certainly in the right place, but, personally, I'd rather see them past-tense and not be a financial-draining ward of the state.
You've got a point there for sure.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
TheCoinKid:

Personally, I'd rather have a live Mother or Grandmother than one who died "in a blaze of glory." Some things are worth dieing over. Bingo money isn't one of them. You can always make more money. You can't make another Mother or Grandmother.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree with the old bookaroo on this........but for god sakes post that women's address so I can send her some more ammunition!!!

L.C. Baker

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheCoinKid:

Personally, I'd rather have a live Mother or Grandmother than one who died "in a blaze of glory." Some things are worth dieing over. Bingo money isn't one of them. You can always make more money. You can't make another Mother or Grandmother.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

There is no guarantee they would not have killed her anyway, happens all the time, heck they are killing people just to play knock out game. She decided she wanted to defend herself.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Treasure Hunter:

What does come with a guarantee?

Other than if you're dead, you're not coming back.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
she can sure spend that money now...hope killing someone was worth it.
And maybe she'd still be dead, if she peacefully handed over the money. Pip, you're dreamin'.
Jim

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
TheCoinKid:

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
OB try not to look surprised but in a big way I agree with you on this comment. I lost my mom to natural causes 3 years ago and it still hurts. However making a stand was this woman's right and she chose not to be a helpless victim. She should have taken some shooting classes prior to buying the gun. Most of these punks would wet themselves when faced with a well trained shooter.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter:

What does come with a guarantee?

Other than if you're dead, you're not coming back.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OB, I would rather die defending myself, than submit and be killed anyway. If she had just given her money up, then suddendly realized they were going to kill her, she would have had no chance at all....

If it had been me, and seeing who my attackers were I would have opened fire as well....

Remember the 2 teenage thugs who shot the baby boy in the head when they tried to rob the mother as they walked down the street...

"Demarquis Elkins, 17, and an unidentified 14-year-old boy attempted to rob Sherry West in Brunswick, Georgia but when she said she had no money, they shot her son in the head."

Sherry West tells how robbers shot sleeping baby Antonio dead in Brunswick | Mail Online

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
NHBandit:

I lost my Mother twenty years ago next March and on some level I'll never get over it. My sincere condolences to you on your loss. A boy becomes a man when he loses his Mom - it's rough stuff.

Of course "making a stand" was this woman's right. And, for better or worse, there were results from her actions.

The Sandy Hook shooter's Mother had the right to keep those weapons in her house. There were results from her actions.

Classes are a good start - not the end. I recently saw a video of a trained professional (I believe he was a law enforcement officer) in front of a class, demonstrating safe pistol technique. He shot himself.

I think the bottom line is try to do the smart thing - not just the thing one can do because one has the right to do it.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I Thank God that i still have my Mother with us, but if somebody tried to take that woman's BINGO money lord have mercy on their soul. She packs an undercover charter arms 38 special in her purse. If she didn't kill them, there would be no place on this earth that they could hide....and I am pretty sure she would have aimed between their eyes anyway. I am sure that if they were lucky enough to live through the robbery, you could use their @ss for a SIFTER :laughing7:.

L.C.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"The Sandy Hook shooter's Mother had the right to keep those weapons in her house. There were results from her actions."
She should have pinched off his head and saved the milk. That is what my Mother would have done....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.Those who feel otherwise do not have an ounce of my respect.

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Dr. of common sense on how to deal with these thugs.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
"liberalism is a mental disorder" LMAO... almost had my morning coffee shoot out my nose. The best thing about this video is that the calls it like it is with no "politically correct" garbage leaving out the FACT that these are racially motivated attacks... and he's a Black man saying it. Well done ! Finally someone with the ballz to tell the truth...

Last edited:

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bandit - I make sure I'm not drinking anything
when I watch his videos! HaHa I learned the hard way.

He does tell it like it is, go check out his other videos.
He's has one called "what's wrong with white people"
It'll have you busting a gut! LOL
I don't want to post it here.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting how the different media reported this crime. The mainstream media reported it straight up. That Hendrix got into a shoot out during an attempted robbery. And that she came out on the losing side.

The piece linked for this thread tells us of a Granny who went out in a blaze of glory.

I guess it's all point of view, huh?

While we all like to think a gun would help us, maybe all it gives us is a false sense of security. it certainly didn't help this woman. In fact it may have hastened her death.

Two studies of Armed Robbery tell us that we are unlikely to be killed during an armed robbery. While both studies are somewhat dated they both tell the same story. A study of the upswing in armed robberies in Detroit shows that at its peak, your likelihood of being killed during an armed robbery was 1 in 129. For those without a calculator that's less than 1%. A national study puts puts the likelihood at 1 in 750. ( shows how much more dangerous Detroit is or was)

These numbers are explained by the fact most victims of armed robbery do not try to intervene with the robbers. They don't defend themselves. They certainly don't get in shootouts with the robbers.

In this unfortunate case the numbers show us that had Dot Hendrix not resisted, she in all likelihood would still be with us. She did, after-all, survive an armed robbery in which she didn't resist two years before.

Is it possible she would have been the one out of seven hundred and fifty? Yes! it is possible. But again another factor emerges that tell us she probably would have survived had she not pulled her gun. As bad as the scum bags who murdered her are, they'd never killed anyone before. Even though each has a laundry list of violent crime on their sorry rap sheets. Murder not one of the crimes.

The pro gun lobby can aggrandize her actions until the next coming and it won't change the fact, that at least statistically, she got herself killed because she pulled a gun. As counter intuitive as it sounds, had she just handed over the money she would still be alive. Bingo money certainly not worth dying for.

Certainly, none of this information was available to Dot, who had to make a split second decision. I certainly won't fault her for doing the what seems like the logical thing to save her own life. But now you all know the numbers. And now you know why law enforcement, which also knows the numbers, tells you not to resist. That is your best move.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting how the different media reported this crime. The mainstream media reported it straight up. That Hendrix got into a shoot out during an attempted robbery. And that she came out on the losing side.

The piece linked for this thread tells us of a Granny who went out in a blaze of glory.

I guess it's all point of view, huh?

While we all like to think a gun would help us, maybe all it gives us is a false sense of security. it certainly didn't help this woman. In fact it may have hastened here death.

Two studies of Armed Robbery tell us that we are unlikely to be killed during an armed robbery. While both studies are somewhat dated they both tell the same story. A study of the upswing in armed robberies in Detroit shows that at its peak, your likelihood of being killed during an armed robbery was 1 in 129. For those without a calculator that's less than 1%. A national study puts puts the likelihood at 1 in 750. ( shows how much more dangerous Detroit is or was)

These numbers are explained by the fact most victims of armed robbery do not try to intervene with the robbers. They don't defend themselves. They certainly don't get in shootouts with the robbers.

In this unfortunate case the numbers show us that had Dot Hendrix not resisted, she in all likelihood would still be with us. She did, after-all, survive an armed robbery in which she didn't resist two years before.

Is it possible she would have been the one out of seven hundred and fifty? Yes! it is possible. But again another factor emerges that tell us she probably would have survived had she not pulled her gun out. As bad as the scum bags who murdered her are, they'd never killed anyone before. Even though each has a laundry list of violent crime on their sorry rap sheets. Murder not one of the crimes.

The pro gun lobby can aggrandize her actions until the next coming and it won't change the fact, that at least statistically, she got herself killed because she pulled a gun. As counter intuitive as it sounds, had she just handed over the money she would still be alive. Bingo money certainly not worth dying for.

Yes, this woman was killed for standing up for herself.
So you think its just better to cower down and let these thugs just get what they want? Is that really a good message to send?

The only way things are going to get better is putting the fear into these idiots. I seriously doubt it will ever go away.

But if it were MY choice to stand up for myself and what I believe in, you can damn well bet i will be pulling a gun.

If by chance i lose my life?, then my family will have to accept my choices of not being a coward.

I'm pretty sure this Country wasnt founded on cowering down to problems that arise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread