TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi guys,

I just thought you'd like the legend of a newbie to detecting who decided to blow his meager savings of his first year of full-time working that didn't go into useless stuff like food and rent (why am I living in an apartment when I could get a camper van for less?) on metal detecting gear. I also made the mistake of investing a good portion of my savings into a company savings program just a month before I caught the detecting bug, no idea if that's a good or bad thing :)

Over the last three months I've been buying gear like a mad man but as of today I have finally placed the last two orders that I had still postponed to this paycheck. Yeay to gear purchasing day!

Now I have it all, the good, the fancy and the luxurious!

Here's the list:

Garrett AT Pro kit with findings pouch and stupid camo hat that certainly won't replace my beloved Ford hat I found on the side of a
road five years ago.

Garrett Propointer AT, orange is my favourite colour after lime green and they didn't have a lime green model in stock for some reason.

NEL Hunter coil, straight from the Ukraine got delivered yesterday after only a week and some days. No testing done yet.

NEL Snake coil, finally purchased it today after postponing it for a while because I already have the 5x8 but people recommend it left and right so I bought it.

Mars Universal collapsible shaft for the AT, that thing is awesome as I get around by bicycle almost anywhere with just a backpack and being able to unfold the detector in a couple of seconds instead of taking a couple of minutes to assemble it is a godsend.

Very pretty looking two part shovel, finally ordered it yesterday and hope to get it by tomorrow. Oddjob recommended it to me and again portability will probably make this my number one digging tool, looks like a very fine piece of stainless that thing. I will probably wrap the handle with duct tape against the summer heat, but I guess otherwise it will be perfect.

My sand scoop is this one, works a charm, especially after I built a three-part handle for it.

Deteknix digging knife. Just purchased this today as well, in the end I got this over the Garrett Edge Digger frankly just because it was 10€ cheaper and has an orange handle :) I've mostly hunted beaches and playgrounds until now so I had no need for a digger. I dug my first plug last weekend and realized it was a lot easier than I thought so I'll most likely do that more often from now on.

While I was at it I also went for their wireless headphones. This purchase I pondered for a while now as the stock headphones are pretty nice actually. I like them, I just now that the wire gets in the way all the time and over time I will break them. Also by buying this I got into "no shipping cost" territory and saved 6.9€. Oh well, I think I will like them for shorter land hunts. What I don't like about them is that apparently the battery is not exchangeable and I hate when electronics have that flaw. But six hours of runtime should be enough for most cases and if I'm out longer I can get by with a powerbank or bring the stock headphones.

I also have a 5.11 Rush 24 backpack now that fits my gear and water bladder and then some. I looked for a detecting backpack since I started detecting and pondered a lot of options but in the end this one ticks all the boxes. It's well made with a big compartment, has lots of individual pockets for camera gear and odds and ends and all this super tactical molle stuff that enabled me to put a glasses pouch on the shoulder strap so I can change quickly between my prescription and sun glasses. I can't tell you how awesome that is, sunglasses for us glasses wearing folks are such a hassle otherwise.

So that's basically it, I also bought an Ace 350 with some addons (including a waterproof housing from the NEL guys) for when I want to detect with friends.

Now on to earning that money back, that's the great thing about this hobby, I mean lifestyle :coins:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Update: Just got the shovel in the mail. First impression is very good, sturdy as expected and the two parts fit together nicely. I'm still at work so naturally no digging done so far (are office flower pots a good benchmark?) but man that shovel is well made. Oh and I laughed quite a bit that the seller decided to ship this assembled in a package twice the size.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Awesome! Always feels good to buy things you really want and it's good spoil yourself every once in a while. Your company savings plan is probably a good idea and remember to save up some money now:thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Awesome! Always feels good to buy things you really want and it's good spoil yourself every once in a while. Your company savings plan is probably a good idea and remember to save up some money now:thumbsup:

It sure does feel good :) I was joking, it's of course great I had enough saved up to do both but it sure slowed down the purchasing progress two months. Anyway, we get some matching and 5-6% so anything else would have been stupid.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to have a shovel like that ,pretty cool . how well do they hold up. would be perfect on my four wheeler( ATV).

View attachment 1351279

View attachment 1351280

View attachment 1351281

I have had the three above for a few years now. Went through many before that always required some form of maintenance. The AAA requires nothing. I am a large person who is very hard on things too and these I am sure are the last I will ever need to buy. My wife and son also have their own sets and most the folks I work with use these too.

German Stainless is some pretty high quality stuff but this exceeds the standard for Germany.

I only know of two places in Germany, one in Switzerland and one in Italy that carry them.

OP
OP
T

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have had the three above for a few years now. Went through many before that always required some form of maintenance. The AAA requires nothing. I am a large person who is very hard on things too and these I am sure are the last I will ever need to buy. My wife and son also have their own sets and most the folks I work with use these too.

German Stainless is some pretty high quality stuff but this exceeds the standard for Germany.

I only know of two places in Germany, one in Switzerland and one in Italy that carry them.

With exactly zero days of usage but the product in my hands I can agree on this, I can find no fault or cause of concern. It's tough, just about the perfect length even though I'm a slightly above average sized male and it feels damn nice. Then there's also the connection of the two parts that has this clicky connection and not a screw-in connection that gets dirty and sandy the minute you use it, destroying the threads in the progress.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
With exactly zero days of usage but the product in my hands I can agree on this, I can find no fault or cause of concern. It's tough, just about the perfect length even though I'm a slightly above average sized male and it feels damn nice. Then there's also the connection of the two parts that has this clicky connection and not a screw-in connection that gets dirty and sandy the minute you use it, destroying the threads in the progress.

Way back when I first got mine you could see that the quality was just above standard, but the support collar the shaft slides into was made just perfect.

So I figured like many things built to last nearly forever soon it would be taken off the market and replaced with something that would break in time. But my son got his last year and it was the same deal, nothing changed.

My first though when I got was that if something breaks that I could at least weld it without screwing it up. Never had to do anything other than sharpen it.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree on the benefits of a bike, that's most likely what I'll be doing. Maybe they have a safe on the campground for the notebook, I will give them a call.

Keep in mind I haven't received it yet but I would be surprised if it breaks under normal or even heavy use. I've had the hardest time finding the two part version, even here in Germany where stainless steel tools are made like crazy I couldn't find a second seller. If I were you I'd call the guy and see if he delivers to the US. I will update you guys once I receive it, I'm especially interested in how well the two pieces fit together but I have no fear that it will rattle the slightest bit, looks well made.

Good ol' Germany :)

Well we sound like we are very similar. I don't know if that's good or bad. Lol What's good is you should find some old old stuff in your country that's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions