GW Inaugural Button in NC!! and a LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Boot!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out this past Saturday for my first hunt of the fall. Went to the site of an old farmstead that I researched last year. Have been waiting for cooler weather and the corn to be picked from this field. Spent about 3 hours zeroing in on the right location and then digging all signals. I was really happy with a nice Large Cent (but no readable date), a really rough IH (looks like 1901), a really rough wheat cent, two flat buttons, a suspender clip, a really corroded John Adams token, and other assorted stuff. It was a great afternoon out and I was pleased with the finds I made as a result of my research. Thanks for looking! Jimmy

PS: It turns out that the large button is a George Washington Inaugural button and my best find to date. Through keen observation from a tough photo ... these button experts made a great ID. Thanks to JohnnyI, Don in SJ, Iron Patch, Vermont Packrat, and everyone that helped with the Id ... I was totally unaware and was under the impression that it may be a "Dandy button". I have included a few new photos taken in sunlight but I opted not to attempt any cleaning at this time. Thanks again for the help and for taking time to care.

Attachments

• GumneckOct17th2009.jpg
    GumneckOct17th2009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,146
  • GumneckOct17thLC.jpg
    GumneckOct17thLC.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • GumneckOct17th3.jpg
    GumneckOct17th3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,133
  • GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • GumneckOct17th2.jpg
    GumneckOct17th2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,129
  • GWButtonFront.jpg
    GWButtonFront.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 790
  • GWButtonReverse.jpg
    GWButtonReverse.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 785
  • GWButtonFront2.jpg
    GWButtonFront2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Boot!

That's a good mix of oldies and a site that has potential of something much better.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Research paid off big time. Nice LC, clean er up and see if you can get a date. Congrats on the digs. jgas

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: wtg awsome collections of finds looks like your on to a good site .

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

awesome!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

These are my kind of finds.

Congratulations on the buttons, suspender clips, and the Large Cent. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Neat finds, but particularly that button which seems worth trying to identify! Although it's obviously as old as a "dandy" it's not at all like one, as they almost always have a geometric design. This button has a picture; a feather or tree, the sun, perhaps grass, maybe a seated woman, and much we can't see. Hopefully Don (who's as skilled with a computer as he is with research and a detector) can fiddle with the image a little to bring it up?

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

There could be a cut silver nearby, so keep hunting it hard. Good luck on your return trips.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmmn, remind myself to look at more posts. LOL, JIM!!!!! Your button looks a lot like a GW Inaugural button! The border is a tad different but it sure looks like a EAGLE WITH STAR OF EIGHT POINTS variety, WI 13? Time for others to help out here but I think it is a GW button. :hello2:

Don

Attachments

• GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 905

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Don in SJ said:
Hmmmn, remind myself to look at more posts. LOL, JIM!!!!! Your button looks a lot like a GW Inaugural button! The border is a tad different but it sure looks like a EAGLE WITH STAR OF EIGHT POINTS variety, WI 13? Time for others to help out here but I think it is a GW button. :hello2:

Don

Don, I think you are 100% correct. GREAT eye for that one. I was too busy looking at the large cent. :laughing9:

Jim, you must try to get closer pics of that one. I think you do have yourself a GW inaugural button. :headbang:

Kyle

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looking at the photo again, it almost looks like the Eagle is double stamped, looks like some doubling of eagle features?........GW button! :hello2:

Don

Attachments

• GW doublestruck.jpg
    GW doublestruck.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 878

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dang Don, I knew there was something going on with that button but not quite that! I do see the eagle however, the head, and the tail which is too close to the GW to be unrelated. (we still seem to have that "feather" to the right which looks too crisp to be a stamping illusion. Perhaps that's an element of a completely unknown design) If it is a feather, it may be possibly related to the fact that as well as the inauguration taking pace that year, the eagle was officially named our national bird also. Don, thanks for looking!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Dang Don, I knew there was something going on with that button but not quite that! I do see the eagle however, the head, and the tail which is too close to the GW to be unrelated. (we still seem to have that "feather" to the right which looks too crisp to be a stamping illusion. Perhaps that's an element of a completely unknown design) If it is a feather, it may be possibly related to the fact that as well as the inauguration taking pace that year, the eagle was officially named our national bird also. Don, thanks for looking!

I also did a double take, but thought he ID'ed it, and knew what he had!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Here is a picture of mine to compare.

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_8535_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8535_1_1.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 808

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've been staring at this now for an hour. What's the point of holding back...I'm voting banner for a unique design GW inaugural button incorporating the tribute to the national bird in the motif (which took place at the same time, 1789) through the use of the symbolic feather in his left talon. :headbang:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Lord JimbeHuntin',JIM BE HUNTIN' alright some good old carolina relics! :laughing9: :notworthy: :headbang: :hello2: :hello: Finally caught one of your post and a good one to catch I'd say.Good Going Jim and hope there is many more to come for you!
Timekiller!
Good Eyes!!!!
Gentleman :notworthy: :headbang:

OP
OP
JimBeHuntin'

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: GW Button?, LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Boot!

I was out of town yesterday and was shocked to see the responses to my post this morning when I logged on Tnet. I knew I had found an old site and was happy with my finds but had no idea what the large button was. It is in rough condition but I will give it a couple of peroxide baths and try to bring out more detail. After seeing Vermont Packrat's photo of his I can see how my button resembles his. I would like to thank everyone for the ID help, especially Don in SJ, IP, Johnnyi, Vermont Packrat, and everyone else. I will post some new photos after a little more soaking. Again, thanks to all for the ID help!

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on joining the club Jim! Well Done!!

Update...I just checked Albert's book, Cobb's information and every piece of info I have (dozens of recent finds within the last 4 years) and that border is not on any GW buttons shown in any of the collections I have seen. You may have a new find! I am going to see a fairly large collection in about 3 hours from now and I will check to see if there is such a border in this collection. Stay tuned...I'll get back to ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread