GW Inaugural Button in NC!! and a LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Boot!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out this past Saturday for my first hunt of the fall. Went to the site of an old farmstead that I researched last year. Have been waiting for cooler weather and the corn to be picked from this field. Spent about 3 hours zeroing in on the right location and then digging all signals. I was really happy with a nice Large Cent (but no readable date), a really rough IH (looks like 1901), a really rough wheat cent, two flat buttons, a suspender clip, a really corroded John Adams token, and other assorted stuff. It was a great afternoon out and I was pleased with the finds I made as a result of my research. Thanks for looking! Jimmy

PS: It turns out that the large button is a George Washington Inaugural button and my best find to date. Through keen observation from a tough photo ... these button experts made a great ID. Thanks to JohnnyI, Don in SJ, Iron Patch, Vermont Packrat, and everyone that helped with the Id ... I was totally unaware and was under the impression that it may be a "Dandy button". I have included a few new photos taken in sunlight but I opted not to attempt any cleaning at this time. Thanks again for the help and for taking time to care.

Attachments

• GumneckOct17th2009.jpg
    GumneckOct17th2009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,146
  • GumneckOct17thLC.jpg
    GumneckOct17thLC.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,132
  • GumneckOct17th3.jpg
    GumneckOct17th3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,133
  • GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    GumneckOct17th4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • GumneckOct17th2.jpg
    GumneckOct17th2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,129
  • GWButtonFront.jpg
    GWButtonFront.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 790
  • GWButtonFront2.jpg
    GWButtonFront2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 809
  • GWButtonReverse.jpg
    GWButtonReverse.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 785
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goalrush said:
Congrats on joining the club Jim! Well Done!!

Update...I just checked Albert's book, Cobb's information and every piece of info I have (dozens of recent finds within the last 4 years) and that border is not on any GW buttons shown in any of the collections I have seen. You may have a new find! I am going to see a fairly large collection in about 3 hours from now and I will check to see if there is such a border in this collection. Stay tuned...I'll get back to ya!

I already mentioned that in my first post about the border 8), but does anybody else see the possible double strike of the Eagle?

Don

Attachments

• GWDoublehead.jpg
    GWDoublehead.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 685

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GW Inaugural Button in NC!! and a LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Bo

Don in SJ said:
Goalrush said:

Update...I just checked Albert's book, Cobb's information and every piece of info I have (dozens of recent finds within the last 4 years) and that border is not on any GW buttons shown in any of the collections I have seen. You may have a new find! I am going to see a fairly large collection in about 3 hours from now and I will check to see if there is such a border in this collection. Stay tuned...I'll get back to ya!

I already mentioned that in my first post about the border 8), but does anybody else see the possible double strike of the Eagle?

Don

Yep, if you're talking about the the few points above, and over a bit, from the top right of the shield.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang:

Great find Jim :notworthy: I bet you have trouble sleeping now :D I think you need to get back there, and give it a good looking at, could there be more of them :dontknow:

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GW Inaugural Button in NC!! and a LC, IH, And A Couple Of Flat Buttons To Bo

Don in SJ said:
Goalrush said:

Don

I'm not seeing it, but I never decide after just looking once. Sometimes with the second or third view it jumps out at you.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked the same info as Don. There is no border like it in either collection. I am also seeing the double strike. If you look to the left, of the left wing, it also appears there is another wing also. Probably stuck off center, to the left, and tried to be fixed. Awesome find and WELCOME to the GWI Club! Hogge :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's starting to look like this was a crude attempt struck over a designed civilian button.

How does the size compare to most GWs?

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Iron Patch said:
It's starting to look like this was a crude attempt struck over a designed civilian button.

When I get home from work tonight I will give up some measurements from mine. My button is missing the back shank, but I will weigh it also.

VPR

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
Iron Patch said:

When I get home from work tonight I will give up some measurements from mine. My button is missing the back shank, but I will weigh it also.

VPR

I'm curious, but I don't think it will be a big help because they probably vary a couple of mm. What is a shame it's not better.... but is what it is!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
As Iron Patch said, this probably will not be much help....

1 3/8 inch, Exactly... Sorry I dont really have a better way to measure.

5.8 grams. No back shank.

VPR

Attachments

• IMG_8560_1_1.JPG
    IMG_8560_1_1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 545

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don, I see what you're looking at on that double strike. (I also see now that what appeared to my eyes to be a feather was the illusion of the wing and apparently some abrasion). What makes me doubt the double strike is that in the light of day picture there are large patches pitting visible, and also the curious "feather" illusion that extends below the wing and corresponds to nothing in the design elements. Could what appears to be a second head be pitting? (I should learn by now that your eyes are generally better than mine :D.....but?)

At any rate, you pointed out already the difference in the border, which by itself makes this button unique, and I believe tied with three others as the rarest of all George Washington inaugural buttons!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
Don, I see what you're looking at on that double strike. (I also see now that what appeared to my eyes to be a feather was the illusion of the wing and apparently some abrasion). What makes me doubt the double strike is that in the light of day picture there are large patches pitting visible, and also the curious "feather" illusion that extends below the wing and corresponds to nothing in the design elements. Could what appears to be a second head be pitting?

At any rate, you pointed out already the difference in the border, which by itself makes this button unique, and I believe tied with three others as the rarest of all George Washington inaugural buttons!

So are there GW patterns only separated by any slight difference? Basically what I'm getting at is a pattern vs a variant. If this was a Rev military button it would be looked at as a variant and even though the collectors would like it, I don't think they'd be over the moon. But being a new GW pattern/type, that tends to say new discovery and very collectible. My personal opinion is the different border isn't that interesting to go as far as saying it's now among the rarest known, but I liked to hear any voice in favor of it. Like I said, or at least meant to imply, I know very little about GW buttons and maybe seeing it through Rev War button eyes isn't the right way to look at it? Thoughts anyone?

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"So are there GW patterns only separated by any slight difference? Basically what I'm getting at is a pattern vs a variant. If this was a Rev military button it would be looked at as a variant and even though the collectors would like it, I don't think they'd be over the moon. But being a new GW pattern/type, that tends to say new discovery and very collectible. My personal opinion is the different border isn't that interesting to go as far as saying it's now among the rarest known, but I liked to hear any voice in favor of it. Like I said, or at least meant to imply, I know very little about GW buttons and maybe seeing it through Rev War button eyes isn't the right way to look at it? Thoughts anyone?"

Patch, you make a good point, however on the GW buttons the variants, such as differences in borders, are listed with their own rarity number. For instance a WI 12 has variant "A" which has a border of 49 marks and is rarity 6, while variant C of the same button with a border of 63 marks is a rarity 2. etc.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Some really cool finds. Congrats on the GW button. I found one years ago. I was digging an old house site in a field and got a signal that turned out to be an Eagle C button. While I was looking at it I noticed a big flat button sticking out of the ground. I glanced at it and put it in my pouch. I didn't realize it was a GW until after I got home.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

I haven't been watching this forum much in the past several months ('my Awful').
I'm glad I got back here today to see a GW Inaugural button, and possibly a very rare one.
CONGRATULATIONS!!

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GW Banner Button :icon_king:

My vote is in :hello2:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the best kind of find...one you didn't even know you had until later! Everytime I dig a crusty copper and cannot tell what it is in the field I always tell myself that it is the rarest of the rare and will confirm that when I get home...hasn't happened yet...except for a key date dime.

Wish I could add more to the discussion but I know nothing of these GW buttons except that I would be over the moon if I found one! Great find!!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"PS: It turns out that the large button is a George Washington Inaugural button and my best find to date. Through keen observation from a tough photo ... these button experts made a great ID. Thanks to JohnnyI, Don in SJ, Iron Patch, Vermont Packrat, and everyone that helped with the Id ... I was totally unaware and was under the impression that it may be a "Dandy button". I have included a few new photos taken in sunlight but I opted not to attempt any cleaning at this time. Thanks again for the help and for taking time to care."

Taking the time to care? Are you kidding, when you find something like this it's a thrill for all of us. It's like Christmas! so thank you!:D One thing though, stick Don's name up there in big letters because were it not for his eyes, I'd probably be looking at a lady in a skirt with one wing sitting by the sun with a feather in her toes ;D ;D By the way, it's not only "your best find to date", because as far as statistical rarity goes, (one known!) its anybody's best find to date!

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goalrush said:

Hey guys...I have some updates as promised. First, I checked a very extensive GW collection belonging to a female friend of mine and there was no similar border at all on any of her buttons. I described the border to her and she had never seen or heard of that kind of border and she has been in "the game" for over 40 years.

I then had two other very formidable GW collectors check out this thread and I received the following response, "...We have talked about this a fair bit over the years. We don't think these things were made like coins...ie...pressed out by the thousands. Rather, maybe silver or blacksmiths would make them with punches and tool the borders and such by hand. If you remember that binder I showed you, there were dozens of similar buttons with identical main punches but slightly dissimilar dentification, borders and reverses, so what is a variety (if you see where we are going)?"

So that is what I have so far folks...I hope it helps. Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread