Had a great day hunting today!

Creekimp

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had a shockingly positive reception for my new hobby.

Went to see my 74 year old Mom today to take her to lunch. Brought my detector for the fun of it. Mom still lives at my childhood home, and I remember where one of my childhood friends lost an important ring. Thought I'd try to sweep her back yard to see if I could find the ring and return it to my old friend.

No luck with the ring.

That said....My Mom was incredibly excited to play with the detector...it was pretty adorable. She swept and I dug. We found a horse shoe pit under her lawn! Three horse shoes, and the large metal stake you throw them at...all about 6 inches down. Found some wires, nails, screws. Coolest thing we found, was a metal tag from a rose bush my deceased Dad had given her for an anniversary 35 years ago. Pretty tender moment, made her really happy. Now the old lady is talking about wanting a detector of her own! Thinking of taking it to visit land she lived on as a kid and sweeping where she used to play.

Later in the day, my nephews showed up at her place and wanted to do some detecting, too. We found a buried crow bar behind the garage, lots of roofing nails, and some bits and pieces of junk.

Nothing as exciting as coins or jewelry or antiques....but we had a lot of fun. The rose tag was incredibly sentimental, and Mom kept it. Pretty cool to spend some time with these folks trying something new.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome & thanks for sharing. Nothing like spending time with Mom and now go out & buy her a detector and let's do some more dirt fishing.

Texas ED
S/E Texas Gulf Coast

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what it's all about. The fun times with family far out weigh the finds in my book.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - sounds like good times!! Hope you find some more cool finds at your Moms ol stompin grounds. Good luck

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good times and great story! Have fun and good luck out there!

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your story.That made me smile about finding the Rose tag from a bush your dad had given her years ago. Keep on digging and keep that same spirit of wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions