OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Had every intention to detect (CREW PICS ADDED)

This is a lousy pic but is somewhat historical and confusing at the same time. Lt. Cdr. Muldrow was the commanding officer of VPB-108 and was shot down and reported as missing in action over Marcus. The guy who all this stuff belonged to was Lt. Maurice R. Wallace. Wallace was shot down May 9, 1945 over Marcus. I'm going to post the front and back of this photo. It's a military pic and has been cut so some of the info on the back is missing. Back of photo is dated May 9 '45
VPB-108
Subject:PB4Y-2 No. 594(rest cut off)
with Lt. Cdr. Mudrow, Lt. Wall(rest cut off)....is Wall Wallace?????
and Crew#5 of VPB-108 (can't make out rest and also cut off)
before hitting water after
MARCUS attack
Photo taken by Ens. Price
of Crew #11
Someone has circled the photo to designate the plane in the air just before they went in. Can hardly see it in my photo either. Question is, are Muldrow and Wallace in the same plane? Not likely as they were both pilots, but possible I guess. Why would Wallace get the DF Cross if Muldrow was on board? If all of the back of the photo was present, would it just show they both went down on same day? If so, which aircraft is this?

Attachments

• goingin.jpg
    goingin.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,215
  • backgoingin.jpg
    backgoingin.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,200
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh oh, someone tried posting while I was but I don't see new message.
These are names etc. that I have so far. VPB-108, PB4Y-2 (first 3 numbers 594), Crew #5, Crew#11, Lt. Cdr. Muldrow, Lt. Wallace, Ens. Price, Lt. Cdr. Rogers, Lt. Cdr. Lefever Crew #2, Ens. Slack, Lt. JG Panther, Lt. Daly or Daley "hard telling", Ens. Moore, Lt. Idle, Lt. Hartwig, Hazlett, Riffe, NPB-122, Jack O'Connel, Jerry Palma, Danny Webster, Denton Larrister, Henford, Levesay?, first radioman Harry Henders, Martin and maybe Henly??. I think they were flying the Liberator. Now if someone tries looking for any of these chaps they may find a connection here. There are a lot more combat pics but I can't get good, clear photos of them with my camera. I believe now that they were flying the "Privateer", as there is a book available "Crew One: A World War ll Memoir of VPB-108". That book mentions Muldrow and, I'm sure, others. Also states that they flew Privateers

Attachments

• privateer.gif
    privateer.gif
    119 KB · Views: 3,214

sandydot

Jun 13, 2003
Augusta, GA

I just wanted to say that I have been following this thread and I am truely enjoying seeing the historical items that were saved by this photographer. I am glad you have taken the time to share this with the rest of us.

Sandy

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks to all that have responded to or have been following this thread. Maybe we can make a connection for someone via this media. It has been my pleasure Sandy.

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,184
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Had every intention to detect (got some names)

Update on photo of crew by plane number Z442. The bureau number (BUNO) for that plane is 59442. It was on a bombing mission on Apr. 8, 1945. A navigational error caused them to be off course and they had to ditch into the ocean. None received serious injury except their mascot, a dog, died in the crash. They were picked up by a sub, the Queenfish, four days later. Names associated with the crash are: Hazlett, Riffe, Slack, Mullinix, Parker, Sturms, Watts, Bagwell, Fisher, Fanhanel, Subron, Brodine. Hazlett is still with us.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another update. Wallace and Muldrow WERE in the same plane so, the pic of the plane going down is both of them. Lt. Cdr. Muldrow was the commanding officer. There were 13 aboard and only 5 made it. Muldrow was one who did not. The others were either killed on impact or trapped in the plane. This info is from a letter that Wallace wrote about the incident where he was describing the condition of the men that were left. Only 1 other besides himself was capable of paddling the raft and that person was so messed up he wasn't aware of what was happening for a couple hours. Wallace knew this guy was always the first to obey a command so, when the guys mind would drift off, Wallace would order him to paddle. That would bring this guy around. He would respond with a "Yes sir Mr. Wallace" and begin paddling again. They went into the water only about 1/4 mile from shore.

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x

this is awesome stuff. thank you very much for sharing a great piece of history with us.

ice

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The sub that rescued the 5 surviving airmen was the USS Jallao, SS 368 off the Northern coast of Marcus. The sub commander at that time was Icenhower and that's who signed the "Flying Fish Club" certification that Maurice had among his belongings. The reason the Japanese were "forewarned" is another squadron was supposed to be in on the attack. They didn't wait for VPB-108 and attacked it early. That caused the Japanese to be alerted by the time Muldrow and their crew flew over.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI: Did you ever contact the genteman that has the web on those squadrons? He wished to create a page just for them in order that the survivors could contact you or receive copies of themseves and the other fly boys.?

Tropcal Tramp Till

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, I did. He wants me to scan them larger so they can be seen better on the net. I don't have a scanner but I'll have access to one by this weekend I'm hoping.
I've found email addresses for 2 of the crewmen that were on the sub that picked them up, I have the name of the plane capt. that spotted the oil slick in the water from the downed plane and I have found an article written by the pilot that gave their location to the sub and circled them until the sub arrived. He described how the Japanese shore batteries hit port and starboard of the sub on their very first volley and how they had to make an emergency dive to keep from being hit.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have gotten a lot more information on this story since my last post. First of all, the previously posted picture of aircraft number Z444 was Lt. Wallace's plane and crew. The plane's nickname was "Liberty Hound" and the nose art painted on it was a dog or wolf-looking character standing on 2 legs in, what was then called, a zootsuit. (SP?)
The Japanese, as this was getting late in the war, were getting desperate. The allies had intercepted a Japanese message stating that they were going to use suicide bombers (not just Zeros) and attack the fleet. The bombers were to fly from Japan to Marcus for refueling and then on to another island to refuel and then attack the fleet ships. An American Admiral, who's name escapes me at the moment, said they had to be stopped. The sub was dispatched to Marcus to report the arrival of the Japanese bombers. When word came, Lt. Commander Mulrow ordered the attack. Planes from squadrons VPB-108 and 102 were to attack simultaneously. The squadron commander of 102 didn't wait, as planned, for the planes from 108. They went in alone, except for two of their planes, and surprised the Japanese. All of the planes from that attack came out without losses. Lt. Cdr. Muldrow's plane had not been readied so he commandered Lt. Wallace's plane and crew. This was highly unusual that a pilot would fly another man's plane and crew. Lt. Wallace's words at this moment were, "Well, I'm going along for the ride Sir". We know this because we talked to one of the survivors yesterday. He's the one that was the only other person capable of paddling the raft but didn't know anything that was happening until after a couple hours in the water. His name is Mr. Henders. He gave us the names of all the survivors and he is sending a photo of himself and another survivor on the deck of the sub with Lt. Wallace still in the raft. He said the reason Wallace really went along is he knew Wallace wouldn't ask his crew to go anywhere that he himself wasn't willing to go.
By the time 108 and the other 2 planes from 102 reached Marcus, the Japanese were ready for them. One plane, a "Liberator", from 102 was shot down and exploded on impact with all crewman killed. Wallace and Muldrow were hit multiple times. One shell killed the copilot instantly, delt what looked like a fatal wound to Muldrow and blew another crewman completely out of the aircraft via the bombay doors.
When their plane hit the water, the 5 survivors and a liferaft were thrown from the plane. A small fuel tank that was used to refill an auxillary motor in the plane had somehow become entangled in Wallace's belt. That is what kept him afloat until he regained himself. He spotted the raft, climbed in and proceeded to paddle to the other 4 flyers and hauled them in with him.
It is widely accepted that this raid on Marcus saved ships and many sailors lives.

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

What a great story!! Thanks for keeping us up to date on what you find. That is amazing that you were able to find someone who was there. It's amazing to me because he must be up there in age and he can still remember it so well. He filled in all the holes. Very cool 8).

Cheryl

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

wow, thanks for the up date. a few men still alive :) you should get a hold of the history channel on this one. with all the stuff you got and the men that are alive , they might want to put something together on this story :) thanks again.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

packerbacker....wow....thank you for sharing all this wonderful history stuff. And as someone said on an earlier post, would make a wonderful HISTORY CHANNEL show....you really should inquire.

Also, I love genealogy and love helping folks...if you need any help....visit my website and my email is there (that is for my genealogy email).... http://familiesfound.tripod.com/moms.html

I have not updated my site in some time...but I have so much more info to post (that is what I get for being out of town in the last few years working, I travelled alot, in my civilian job)...I hope to get back to posting my new data I have recently put into the files.

But if you need any help, I will do my best to assist in anyway in locating anyone related to your items. Just email what you are looking for.

Ann

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Ann, jon, Cheryl. There is so much more to this story. Just little things that, when put together, paint a remarkable picture. When Wallace was in college he was already a flyer. They put an add in the paper asking other students to chip in to rent a plane and they would fly to a college football game. He guaranteed "A safe ride". We have that newspaper clipping. Back in those days the pilots were just barnstormers flying by the seat of their pants.
Muldrow's crew went to visit Wallace in the hospital to find out what had happened and to find out how their commander had died. One of them loudly stated to Wallace that they had heard that one of the 102 guys had had his "private parts" shot off. For forum's sake, he didn't say it quite as nicely. Wallace didn't say a word, he just slowly rolled his eyes towards the bed that was across from him. They could tell by the look on that guys face that he was the unlucky individual.
I have had offers to buy anything related to VPB-108. I'm not quite sure why but, after researching some of this stuff, I can see why a collector of such items would be interested. Right now I'm leaning towards Cheryl's suggestion of the museum in Ohio due to the fact that Wallace lived there and started flying there. That will get sorted out but I'm in a quandry as far as his flag goes. It's not a collector item or museum piece. It represents the man and his service and should be afforded the dignity it deserves.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Great historical collection. Shame they even had em in a building paying $80 on it. Great finds.

Postalrevnant

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE

Great find and attempt at saving history. As for the flag, contact his local VFW. Most have a collection of flags on display. Good luck. DM

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II

Outstanding find. I clean out old houses for a realtor, but have found nothing like that. I'm a retired sailor myself so I find alot of interest in your find.
I love all the pictures
Thanks,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions