D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT Pro for one week and learning everyday but my finds have doubled over my Ace 250. I am not unhappy with the 250 but in the past week since I had the Pro there is a world of difference. I never look at the numbers until I hone in on a target and I dig all good signals. Today out of over 100 coins I only got two tabs and one can. I love the tips people post on here. They have no idea how much they help new people like me. My average take in 4 hours of hunting is over $6 per day. With my Ace I was happy with $2 to $3 per day.

I am happy as heck I upgraded to the Pro.

I need to learn the tone for nickles better because out of $15 in clad I have only dug 4 nickels.

I have picked over $49 in clad in the past week.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait till you use a Sov GT.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started off using the 250...good machine...I went with a Minelab Safari for my upgrade...I really like it...my buddy uses the PRO and he loves his...

now that I think about it...I don't believe I ever read a negative comment on here about the PRO

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I started off using the 250...good machine...I went with a Minelab Safari for my upgrade...I really like it...my buddy uses the PRO and he loves his...

now that I think about it...I don't believe I ever read a negative comment on here about the PRO
..... I own a AT .. But if look back you will find a truck load of negative comment's on the AT......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted lots of bad reports on the AT PRO, but I now have one that acts like Garrett said it would. But this is the 3 rd. one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted lots of bad reports on the AT PRO, but I now have one that acts like Garrett said it would. But this is the 3 rd. one.
I still have the first one i got.. It has been back to Garrett 3 times now... So i just don't trust it.....

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never had a problem with my AT PRO it worked great i would go head on into the iron fields and not worry about it one bit i could pick a coin out of it with no trouble whatsoever

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Garrett dumbed the ATP down from the first ones that came out. I know mine is quiet as it sits on the wall not being used anymore. :BangHead:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....until now I never read a negative comment....geez.........All I can tell everyone is that my buddy that I go with every weekend has the PRO...and that thing can really sniff out the silver among all the junk...that thing is a coin magnet...And we go EVERY sunday for at least 6 to 7 hours....I can only tell ya what I've seen with my own two eyes.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first Garrett AT Pros did have problems. The ones that are out now with the extended arms and cam locks are VERY solid units. Can not tell you last I had a problem with one I sold.

AWESOME detector for the $.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bart I there a way to tell if it's one of the first at pros. I've been looking at some used ones ddnt know if there was a number I sould watch for or something along that line

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dholland02 said:
Hey Bart I there a way to tell if it's one of the first at pros. I've been looking at some used ones ddnt know if there was a number I sould watch for or something along that line

Like bart posted the newer ones have the cam locks on the shaft and I never once had a problem with mine

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like bart posted the newer ones have the cam locks on the shaft and I never once had a problem with mine

Even the first ones made could be sent back for the cam locks and extended arms but I forget what the price for the change was. Most of the trouble others have had with the ATP was they wanted to run it with sens turned way up. Some of them also wouldn't be stable till you turned sens way down or in my case, turned it off.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There isn't any way to know if an early detector had issues or not. I have one of the early ones, built in November of 2010. Mine has been great. No sensitivity issues, no leaking issues. I intentionally tried to get mine to screw up and if I went out into a wet corn field and set sensitivity at full and tried to chop down the corn stalks with it, then yes it would false. I use it all the time, including salt water. If you call Garrett and talk to them, they may tell you which detector serial numbers they consider having issues. I know they made some running changes to help with the sensitivity complaints and its the ones before that change they offered the "upgrades" for.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the atpro because it can home in on a tiny little brass shoe eyelet four inches deep right next to a rusty crown, and I dont need to spend time using the pp button, a few waggles in x pattern puts you dead center even at max sense with rust all over the place. I have never pulled small targets so easily. My atpro works like a charm actually.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There isn't any way to know if an early detector had issues or not. I have one of the early ones, built in November of 2010. Mine has been great. No sensitivity issues, no leaking issues. I intentionally tried to get mine to screw up and if I went out into a wet corn field and set sensitivity at full and tried to chop down the corn stalks with it, then yes it would false. I use it all the time, including salt water. If you call Garrett and talk to them, they may tell you which detector serial numbers they consider having issues. I know they made some running changes to help with the sensitivity complaints and its the ones before that change they offered the "upgrades" for.

Garrett never offered any running change to "help" with "sensitivity complaints". I wonder where you came up with that falsification. Some early pros were crappers, but not many. Shame on Garrett, but they did not lick their wounds for long, they took the bull by the horns and took care of business as required by doing good business. Certainly nobody complains about a tecter being too sensitive, all the good tecters are too sensitive, that's why they have a sense setting. You see. My atpro has a serial number from March 2011 and it works like any Garrett should. Flawlessly. The only upgrade ever offered by Garrett was a stick swap-out (because the ergos sucked) and a full factory test, 40 bucks, expired Dec 2011. Which is to say there are really no problems with the frikin thing anymore, and nobody has a problem with the damn thing nowadays. And if there was a problem with any Garrett product, you would get a very rock solid two year factory warranty and some of the best service in the business. Some of the best if not the best.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They made some changes somewhere along the line. I have a buddy with a new one and his runs a little different. We have compared them. He just started detecting, as I said, I've got one of the first ones off the line. He can run full sensitivity at some sites that I have to cut back a notch or two. But mine is just at deep as his. Believe me, I ain't complaining, if you have ever read any of my posts, you'll find me defending Garrett and the AT Pro. I think any trouble that was out there was very limited. BTW, I did send mine in for the upgrades and extended warranty because I do salt water hunt and I wanted the extra piece of mind knowing it had been tested.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If Garrett was foolish enough to reduce the sense of the atpro (which is just a silly rumor of course), my only comment is to say that I thank the metal detecting Gods that I was blessed with the fact that I was lucky enough to buy one of the good old sensitive original ones.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman, you are like my wife who is still reminding me of the time I screwed up ..........30 years ago. ATP is now a great machine for the money you pay, now let it go man.:BangHead:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread