stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent about 3 hours today at my neighbor's farm with the log cabin on it. I was wrong it has been in his mothers family since 1860, not 1880.

I spent most of the time learning the features and controls of the LRP i found clad mostly from the 70s a 1965 quarter. I now have found 3 1965 quarters and no 64s. And a 1945 wheat penny, nothing older. There is tons of trash and i notched out everything below aluminum. sensitivity on 6 and 3 tone, and i didn't dig much trash. The LRP did a good job of pulling out the coins in the middle of the trash. I only went across a small portion of the yard.

When i was getting ready to leave. Gary walked up to see what i had found. I told him a lot of the coins came from under a pine tree. He said that him and his brother use to wrestle there. He also told me another guy he use to work with had md there and found nothing. It looks like the LRP is a better md than that guy had. He is renovating the cabin, its made out of 15 inch square had hewn logs, some 30 feet long, with mud packed in between them. He wants me to go over the mud areas and see if anything is hidden in the mud. He found a 1912 local newspaper in nice shape tacked up inside the wall when he tore off the paneling, his dad had put up

Steve

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you are finding treasure with the LRP. I normally hunt in mode 4, I disc out iron and foil and run the sensitivity as high as the area will allow. Good Luck, hope to see some pics of the great finds you are sure to find with the LRP.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a good job for the little amount of time you have used it. Just a suggestion/option.

Discing out all lower signals into alum will effect depth on most all detectors. If you want that extra 2" back, try running V-Break up instead. You can easily ignore low sounds and hear the whole silver spectrum with a high tone, if you use Mode 4. Changing the sound dynamics over the discrimination process uses less processing power, and gives continuous full power to depth.

If you air test in C Mode then Mode 4 with nothing changed, you will see the differences in depth as C mode notches and disc's and detects an inch or so less.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good point Phantasman, after reading your post I air tested the LRP in 2 modes. All metal & Mode 4 disc iron & foil, sensitivity of 8 in both. The all metal modes did detect 1.5" deeper on a most coins.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have been getting the rain from that Mexican cyclone leftover in our area the past few days. :BangHead:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have been getting the rain from that Mexican cyclone leftover in our area the past few days. :BangHead:

That's good & bad, it may keep you in doors for a day or two, but you will have the benefit of wet soil when you finally do get to go back out swinging the coil.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only gotten to use my new Land Ranger in my yard which I have detected twice before using an old Sears Whites and my Pioneer 505. I dug a lot of pull tabs but did find one 30-06 shell I had missed and three Lincolns that I had missed previously. I am hoping the weather is better this week end so I can use it at more promising locations.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tabs usually incite a unique signature over nickels and other good targets. Remember how the machine sounds and the way the ID displays as you move around the target, and you will be able to pretty much determine many, if not most, pull tabs. Takes a little time but well worth it.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly skipped digging the pull tabs before so I figured I dig some of them. Never know which one will come up as a gold ring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread