hafted scrapers

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
I have 2 more frames, these are old photos. They must have hafted and scraped a lot of things with them. 1.jpg 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they broke some good stone and turned it into a good every day tool. I enjoy finding them and trying to identify what it once was. Kinda like a drill or graver the way it ends up. Nice frames. You know I am looking in a drawer and at yours and can not recall many bifurcate bases. I think I have one somewhere.. I do see one or two in yours.
Good post

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice like finding those usally when you do the area is rich in artifacts...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of mine arent broken points and then redid to a scraper. Mine are usually made to be just a scraper. I dont find many points though where I hunt at just knifes or scrapers.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of mine arent broken points and then redid to a scraper. Mine are usually made to be just a scraper. I dont find many points though where I hunt at just knifes or scrapers.

How can you say that for sure? I'm sure some were actually made just to be a Hafted Scraper, but how exactly can you say whether they were or not?

Here are some of my better ones.

Attachments

• New Trays (12).jpg
    New Trays (12).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 184
  • New Trays (14).jpg
    New Trays (14).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 168
  • New Trays (13).jpg
    New Trays (13).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 284
  • New Trays (10).jpg
    New Trays (10).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 321

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term flake knife might work better for some.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grim Reaper said:
How can you say that for sure? I'm sure some were actually made just to be a Hafted Scraper, but how exactly can you say whether they were or not?

Here are some of my better ones.

Have you ever seen a perform for that type of Hafted scraper? Would it just look like a point??

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagin that there's an awful lot of flexibility to argue either way. However, I did find this bit of information- which explains a thing or two, to a degree. I imagin the best we can do is state location, apparent age, and other findings to explain the either intentional or coincidental design of these little critters. Logic would tell me that the least amount of effort dedicated to the most efficiant design would win the day- ie, why do the detail work if it isn't necessary to get the job done- to scrape something. It would seem logical to me that if you had a bunch of otherwise wasted points/knives/blades, well yes, you'd re-hone them for scraper duty. But if you didn't have that supply, one might just whack a rock, attain a sharp blade, and get scraping. Here's what I read- and it's the only thing I've read on the topic, so please feel free to offer further information which might help me to understand the point (ha ha) of taking the time and effort to create notches to hasp if it isn't actually necessary. http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/OKArtifacts/scrapers.htmic

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about this. If they were going to just make a Hafted Scraper then odds are it would be uniface which would make it flat on one side and give it a better scraping edge. I would venture to say that 90% to 95% of mine are flaked on both sides and were actual Points at one time that were damaged and then turned into a Hafted Scraper to get further use from it. I do have a few that are uniface and I'm sure they were made specifically for that purpose, but they are few and far between, at least here in southern Ohio anyway. I'd say I maybe have 2 or 3 out of the hundreds I have.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly where I was coming from. I believe the ones that Rock was referring to .. that he finds..do not look like the base of a point but rather more like an end scraper.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly where I was coming from. I believe the ones that Rock was referring to .. that he finds..do not look like the base of a point but rather more like an end scraper.

Even though those types were hafted, they aren't referred to as Hafted Scrapers.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes mine are mostly End Scrapers. I will see if I have any pics of them. I need some batteries for my camera it has died.

ridgecrawler

Jan 20, 2011
East central Ohio
Detector(s) used
ATPRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think most were small knives that were already hafted and when they were no longer usefull as a knife they were rechipped and used as another tool.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some Ive found in central Ohio.
IMG_8636.jpg IMG_8635.jpg

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RidgeCrawler,I agree on some, but the pentagonal base HS so many are seen which conform in style that it has been suggested that they are not salvaged from broken points but were purposley made as scrapers. Qoute R. Converse...

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
BirdCloud said:
RidgeCrawler,I agree on some, but the pentagonal base HS so many are seen which conform in style that it has been suggested that they are not salvaged from broken points but were purposley made as scrapers. Qoute R. Converse...

Good looking display bird cloud! You have some big hafted scrapers. Have you ever heard them referred to as blunts? Recently I found a hafted scraper, and an elderly fellow told me that I had found a nice blunt. First for me on that term.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking display bird cloud! You have some big hafted scrapers. Have you ever heard them referred to as blunts? Recently I found a hafted scraper, and an elderly fellow told me that I had found a nice blunt. First for me on that term.
Thanks man... Yes blunts , stunners,chisels etc as far as it goes its usally bigger pieces that have a rounded tip due to use or breakage for whatever reason they reworked them like that rather than toss em. heres a pic of one I found.That was a knife not a projectile. IMG_8637.jpg

Last edited:

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the smallest HS Ive found worked to a nub and alot of use polish on it.
IMG_8640.jpg IMG_8641.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread