Half Reale, 1908 Indian, 20 dollar bill (punked Earthworks)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today was a great day out in New York, like summer. I met Earthworks (Gary) by the old colonial site, with the plan to go meet Skunemonk (Jeff) at another colonial site later in the day. At the first site Earthworks found a couple of wheaties near each other, but otherwise we weren't having much luck, so I decided to have a little fun at his expense. I had been carrying around a fake $20 bill that looks real folded in half. I kept dropping it near Earthworks hoping he'd find it. He kept going the other way. Finally I see him heading right for it and I'm trying not to stare at him so he doesn't bust me, but trying to see his reaction out of the corner of my eyes. We are out in the woods in a place nobody goes. He stops in his tracks and his eyes bulge out and he says, "Dude, how do you carry your money." I say, "In my wallet, why." "Dude, I found a $20 bill!" "Nice, Unbelivable" (I say)...He takes out the camera and starts to document his find and I have to turn my back to avoid laughing in his face...Finally he picks it up and opens it and sees it's a fake. "You, @#(#$#$#($(#*!!!!" -- Got him and we both had a good laugh. Photo below is actual one he took when he was being punked. We packed up our stuff and drove 20 min or so to meet Skunemonk at first time colonial site for us. A private house built late 1700s or early 1800s (see photo). We weren't sure if it had ever been detected. We were finding clad, Earthworks found a pocket watch, I found a buckle, it seemed that it hadn't been search. We found the guts of two more pocket watches, I found a 1908 Indian (near this monster tree stump; see photo; I am six feet tall and layed down inside it with lots of room to spare). Then I see Skunemonk urgently waving me over, "dude, I think I found a half reale!" -- sure enough, he had. He found it right in the middle of the lawn in the photo of the house, and only about 3 to 4 inches deep. We all high fived and started looking for the date, but we can't see it. Skunemonk is having a computer problem, so he asked me to post this for him. Thanks to Earthworks for the photos.
And thanks to Earthworks for picking up the check for Mexican food after the hunt.

Attachments

• detect20.jpg
    detect20.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 854
  • detecthouse.jpg
    detecthouse.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 858
  • detecttree.jpg
    detecttree.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 844
  • detectrealefront.jpg
    detectrealefront.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 836
  • detectreale.jpg
    detectreale.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats to your friend for finding the half real! There has got to be some coppas waiting in that ancient soil. :thumbsup:

Kyle

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Funny prank. ;D Sounds like fun. Also sweet to find the 1/2 reale. Now I don't feel so bad. Someone else found one in almost as bad condition as mine... ::) It is exciting though and promises that some more good stuff should be there. Good luck.

PS - that tree stump is HUGH! That is amazing.

Bob

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hahaha got ol Gary good didnt cha! congrats to jeff on the colonial silver! the rest of you guys didnt do so bad either! great stuff!

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Reale. Looks to be around 1775 to 1790. Great job. I have a 1786 myself that I found last year.

scdetector

Feb 27, 2006
South Eastern,US
Detector(s) used
Fisher ID Excel, Tesoro Cibola, CZ-7A Pro
Nice Reale, pretty funny on the $20,I'd reacted the same as Earthworks. Wonder how many loads of firewood that tree produced,maybe they built the house from the tree

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and nice story. Theres always a place for humor. I would have been laughing my a#$ off if I'd seen the prank....I probably would have given it away.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
awesome find...I'd be going crazy. Looks like a great spot to hunt. Keep at it.

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005
wow great find on the reale. vey big tree there once. maybe some largecents in that yard. i never get to detect places like that . i am no good at asking.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to Skunemonk on a Sweet spanish reale !! :hello2:

And Bergie aint MD practical jokes FUN!! Next time try fake plastic gold goins buried with a nickle !

I did that to my huntin bud Rock :laughing7: :sign10: The screams of IM RICH !! turning to "YOU &^*%$#^&**(&"

Priceless :icon_jokercolor:

Derek :icon_king:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread