Half Reale, 1908 Indian, 20 dollar bill (punked Earthworks)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Today was a great day out in New York, like summer. I met Earthworks (Gary) by the old colonial site, with the plan to go meet Skunemonk (Jeff) at another colonial site later in the day. At the first site Earthworks found a couple of wheaties near each other, but otherwise we weren't having much luck, so I decided to have a little fun at his expense. I had been carrying around a fake $20 bill that looks real folded in half. I kept dropping it near Earthworks hoping he'd find it. He kept going the other way. Finally I see him heading right for it and I'm trying not to stare at him so he doesn't bust me, but trying to see his reaction out of the corner of my eyes. We are out in the woods in a place nobody goes. He stops in his tracks and his eyes bulge out and he says, "Dude, how do you carry your money." I say, "In my wallet, why." "Dude, I found a $20 bill!" "Nice, Unbelivable" (I say)...He takes out the camera and starts to document his find and I have to turn my back to avoid laughing in his face...Finally he picks it up and opens it and sees it's a fake. "You, @#(#$#$#($(#*!!!!" -- Got him and we both had a good laugh. Photo below is actual one he took when he was being punked. We packed up our stuff and drove 20 min or so to meet Skunemonk at first time colonial site for us. A private house built late 1700s or early 1800s (see photo). We weren't sure if it had ever been detected. We were finding clad, Earthworks found a pocket watch, I found a buckle, it seemed that it hadn't been search. We found the guts of two more pocket watches, I found a 1908 Indian (near this monster tree stump; see photo; I am six feet tall and layed down inside it with lots of room to spare). Then I see Skunemonk urgently waving me over, "dude, I think I found a half reale!" -- sure enough, he had. He found it right in the middle of the lawn in the photo of the house, and only about 3 to 4 inches deep. We all high fived and started looking for the date, but we can't see it. Skunemonk is having a computer problem, so he asked me to post this for him. Thanks to Earthworks for the photos.
And thanks to Earthworks for picking up the check for Mexican food after the hunt.

Attachments

• detect20.jpg
    detect20.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 854
  • detecthouse.jpg
    detecthouse.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 858
  • detecttree.jpg
    detecttree.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 844
  • detectrealefront.jpg
    detectrealefront.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 836
  • detectreale.jpg
    detectreale.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
That is a great find and story, but.... What the hell kinda tree was that!! I dont think I have ever seen one that big Ive seen some old oaks and cedars but nothing near that big. I 'd love to ask the owners about its age.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
That was a neat prank! lol Great find too. Is that a Redwood tree? It is amazing how huge it is!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great story, all the way around! That tree must have been a monster, and probably hosted lots of people in its shade.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH, you're a stinker, Bergie! :D Ya know what they say about paybacks though! Better watch yer back! :D

Congrats on that Injun and tell SK congrats on that awesome silver! Sounds like a fun time! That tree must'a been a monster! :o

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread