Halve Dollars Diameters, Disregard previous post

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here I go again. My 2 yr old son clicked on post and it posted incomplete.

I was saying that to get old halves on a roll they all have to be the same size.

Why we have never found a Capped Bust in a roll with Kenns and Benns.

I found the following about the diameters:

Kenns 31 millimeters
Benns 30 millimeters
Walkers 30.6 millimeters
Barbers 30.6 millimeters
Seated Liberty 30 millimeters
Capped Bust 32 to 33 millimeters
Draped Bust 32.5 millimeters
Flowing Hair 32.5 millimeters

So by judging my the sizes I think It won't be possible to get any from Capped Bust and Below.

Thanks for reading

Darth Walker

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Darth,

Seated, Barber, Kennedys, Franklins and Walkers are all--- Diameter: 30.6 MM

Check out the Red book for sizes.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Has anyone ever tried to fit a capped bust into a half dollar roll. Does it fit? I may have to try this at home. I think you could find a seated but capped may be difficult. Not entirely impossible. Heck I think somewhere there is a roll of barber just sitting in a bank. You just never know with this hobby.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the info on the sizes from coinfacts.com

DW

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I got the Capped Bust searching but it came from a tellers tray. She just handed it to me. Was drilled through the 18 part of the date. It is an 1834 and she asked if I wanted it...yea...I said sure why not! :headbang:

Maine_Jim

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maine_Jim,

Will the capped bust fit into a regular half roll? Just curious if people could fill a roll with them it they "just want to cash them in".

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've got it stuck in the Safety Deposit box so can't get my hands on it. The one I found had the writing on the side. According to the red book - the capped bust "lettered edge" 1807-1836 is 32.5 mm while the 1836-1839 capped bust reeded edge is 30 mm. The Liberty Seated and onward is 30.6 mm. I imagine the 1834 would go into a roll but not sure how it would do going through a rolling machine.

Maine_Jim

ps - always like to look at this photo!

Attachments

• CappedBust1834Obverse.jpg
    CappedBust1834Obverse.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 295
  • CappedBust1834Obverse.jpg
    CappedBust1834Obverse.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 283

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. I wasn't so much thinking of the counters/sorters and rolling machines, but more of the "little old lady who just wants the cash." I'm sure that she doesn't live near me, but I've heard that she likes to dump valuable coins for face value at banks near others on the forum. I was hoping that she might take a vacation, run out of money, need gas, and decide to jam some of those big old nuisances into regular hand rolls, which I would then pick up. ::) The hand rolls I get are a bit looser than the machine rolled, and I thought that maybe some of those would fit.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think it would slide in ok, at least I hope it would! To get one that old in a roll might come from the old lady scenario but just as likely a single coin situation like I had. A teller might get the coin and stick it in a roll of accumulated halves from the tellers. I got a 1920 Maine Commemorative that way I believe. Some tellers just have no idea or interest in the coins that come in. Usually the younger tellers seem to be this way.

Maine_Jim

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim. I hope that it would as well. I don't have one or I'd give it a try and post the results. Does anyone have one on hand and could give it a try and post the result? I think Golden Silver mentioned that he may have one.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a size comparison for you, a bust half against a 1964 kennedy. IMO, there is no way the bust half would fit in a roll. The bust half was a purchase.

Attachments

• DSCN3243.JPG
    DSCN3243.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN3246.JPG
    DSCN3246.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 225

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I just performed the experiment with the capped bust half and although it was a tight fit, it did lay flat in the roll. I think it would be entirely possible to find one in a hand roll of half dollars. I do not believe you will ever find one in a machine rolled. The machine rolls are too tight fitting. Theoretically speaking, an elderly woman or someone similar could see that a capped bust was a 50 cent piece at just include it with the others to complete a roll. They would have to force it a little bit to lay flat but I just did it will relative eaze in a hand roll. So there you go guys and gals. So go out and find one.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It's still "HALF" Dollar even when talking about Half Dollars. But when saying I searched a box of Half's. You can substitute it with the word "HALVES".

I see people murder this all the time on here.

Mojo

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope this little old lady lives really close to me and is ready to cash all her busts. :D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
It's still "HALF" Dollar even when talking about Half Dollars. But when saying I searched a box of Half's. You can substitute it with the word "HALVES".

I see people murder this all the time on here.

Mojo

Mojo,

You seem to show a sincere desire for proper grammar. I can appreciate that. However, you should know that your use of an apostrophe in the phrase "box of half's" is incorrect, since it is not showing possession of something nor is it a contraction.

example: Mojo's box of halves (correct). There are many Mojo's that live in this town (incorrect).

People tend to improperly use the apostrophe quite a bit it seems.

Just sayin'

Jim

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that I created all this educative and constructive discussion.

But please do not grade my grammar. Just think that I am from Mexico
and learned English at a very late age. LOL

Darth Walker

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've found many strange and oversized coins shoved in rolls. You know when you get one when you try to pour out the customer roll into your hand and it stops pouring. I think the most frequent one is getting a euro or two euro cent in a cent roll. I kinda like getting them as at least they are interesting. Getting a Capped Bust would certainly be a rush.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread