Sold Silver

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the unit price? $2.25 for 40%er? Who did you sell to? On-line or local? If you don't mind to tell.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I sell to the local guys and buy from the big places. With the way that small businesses are closing up left and right it's a good idea to support a local business. The way I look at it, I'm ripping off the banks, and the local coin guys get their cut by ripping me off. The bottom line is I'm making a good profit and that's what counts.
This time around I sold mostly 90's and a few 40's. After some haggling I got 2 bucks apiece for the 40's. I'm happy with that. If I sold to APMEX etc. I would have made an additional 400.00 on what I sold in total of the 90's and 40's.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rich Hartford said:
The way I look at it, I'm ripping off the banks, and the local coin guys get their cut by ripping me off. The bottom line is I'm making a good profit and that's what counts.

RH,

Why give them the business if you feel they are ripping you off? My local guys are usually better than Apmex prices on selling coins, and sometimes pay me more than Apmex would when I have sold (I rarely sell anything so far). But if they were ripping me off I would not want to help them out in any way.

$400 bucks is not small potatoes in this day and age.

Jim

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
RH,

Why give them the business if you feel they are ripping you off? My local guys are usually better than Apmex prices on selling coins, and sometimes pay me more than Apmex would when I have sold (I rarely sell anything so far). But if they were ripping me off I would not want to help them out in any way.

$400 bucks is not small potatoes in this day and age.

Jim,
I don't really think the local guys are ripping me off. However there is no way they can compete with the big guys. So they are going to charge a bit more for coins and pay out a bit less. The loss of the $400.00 was really a drop in the bucket compared with the profit I made. Plus I worry about mailing coin off even if it is insured. Mail and UPS gets stolen all the time. Then what,wait 6 months for the insurance to make the payment. No thanks.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,
Do you sell your walkers and franklins?

Asked my local coin shop this weekend what they were paying for silver.

90% - 9x face
40% - 1.50 each

Seemed pretty low to me. Not that I dont want to support my local businesses but I am in this to max what I can get. If it takes sending them off thats what I will be doing. But I understand your desire to get the cash here and now to start your "Plan" Good luck with it.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Rich,
Do you sell your walkers and franklins?

90% - 9x face
40% - 1.50 each

Seemed pretty low to me. Not that I dont want to support my local businesses but I am in this to max what I can get. If it takes sending them off thats what I will be doing. But I understand your desire to get the cash here and now to start your "Plan" Good luck with it.

AG,
I sold dimes,quarters, 90% and a few 40%. I tried one place and they said 10x face for the 90%. So I stopped at another place layed the silver on the counter and he said 10.5x face. So I picked up the silver and he said 11x face.
Went back today and traded some silver for gold. Got exactly what I wanted too. With the exception of $12.00 face in silver war nickels. He did not meet my price so I kept them for another time, or place.

Rich

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
90% - 9x face
40% - 1.50 each
Seemed pretty low to me.
I checked with my dealer last wed (@17.23oz) and he quoted
90% - 11x face
40% - 2.00 each

The last time I was quoted 9x was in august @ $13.89oz

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
Right now I'll pay 11.5x for 90% and 2.25 for 40%. I'll take all you got.

Also paying 3.5 cents for wheats.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold today $2 (four halves 40%) for $9.00 or $4.50 per dollar.
AG $1.50 each for the 40% is too low

DW

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
JasonB said:
AGCoinHunter said:
90% - 9x face
40% - 1.50 each

AG,

You can do better on eBay, even with their fees.

Yeup last time sold on Ebay 2 1/2 week ago averaged Net was 1.87 each figure it will be higher now, got 2 lots of 5 rolls up now exp Sat around 1 pm.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there LemonThrower,

That is a very generous offer. I'll be sending you one wheat cent for the 3 1/2 cents, once you PM me your address. I don't particularly care what the 3 whole cents are, but for my half cent, I sure could use a 1796 for my collection. ::)

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
Kantuckkeean said:
Hey there LemonThrower,

That is a very generous offer. I'll be sending you one wheat cent for the 3 1/2 cents, once you PM me your address. I don't particularly care what the 3 whole cents are, but for my half cent, I sure could use a 1796 for my collection. ::)

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

the half cent is the right half of a lincoln memorial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread