Hand painted platter marked with a crown over initials R.S

lewisaroyer

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up today thinking it looked alot like some italian majolica pottery I found recently. Measures 9.5"x7" The back is marked by hand with a crown over an R.S Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.

IMAG0293.jpg IMAG0294.jpg IMAG0295.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a French fleur de lis. From the material and glaze I'd say 1790-1830. I'd have to look up the backmark. Don't know where the book is right now. But It's gorgeous.

Upvote 0

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 1st I thought it was Prussia, now that I've looked up I don't know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lewisaroyer

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for your input Smokey. I would be really pleased to know if it were that old. I can't find a match online. Please do let me know if you get any insight into the makers mark! Thanks again everyone! :)

Upvote 0

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the platter has a similar look to a lot of the hand painted Italian pottery, like Deruta.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I had the same thought maybe from Italy maybe Spain? I note that it appears to have holes for hanging it from, like a wall plaque, which if is correct wouldn't bode well for the likely age.... 20th century would be likely I think?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Note the holes on the back. This was made for wall-hanging, not for use. That’s not actually a French fleur-de-lis emblem, but an Italian ’giglio’, an old symbol for the city of Florence. The base mark is believed to be Dutch and modern, but intended to look older, in imitation of 18th Century crown marks used by the Italian pottery family Conrado of Albisola.

Here’s another:

Crown.jpg

Ref: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/wall-plaque-pottery-mark-help.29336/

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions