Hand Suction Dredges ?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any opinions on hand suction dredges and which one might be the best ? Been looking at the Gold-n-Sand X-stream hand suction dredge. There is a spot where we finally got down to bedrock and I think one of these small hand dredges might get the last gold out. Would love to use a power suction dredge but not able to use any motors in this area.
Thanks for any input.:notworthy:

Upvote 0

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my gold and sand, it is strong as hell and sucks like crazy...just don't forget to get the leather plunger wet 12+ hours before you plan on using it, as that will make sure your suction is at its very best!!

Cheers.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I also have a Gold-n-Sand unit. I like that it pumps material out to a separate bucket on a 6 foot long 1 1/4 inch ID hose (using check valves). You don't need to take it apart very often during the season, and the leather seal lasts a long time. It's light.

I suggest you wear leather gloves as its easy to crunch your hand as you pump any of these hand operated suction tools.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too have the gold-n-sand xstream ...great piece of gear and they sell the valves and the plunger seal separately if you just HAVE to make your own. I talked to the inventor, Red Wilcox, recently. He told me the valves he uses now are custom made to his design. They work well for gritty gravelly material vs the valves you see elsewhere that are usually meant for sump pumps and boat bilges handling dirty water - a much less demanding use.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the gold n sand and while it works good it water that's 3feet and shallower it however doesn't work well at all in swift water or deeper water. I would suggest make some custom nozzels out of pvc pip that are two feet or so long and it will fix the deeper water problem. This however doesn't fix the problem of the hose poping off do to swift water or the hose gets twisted and poping off. It is by far the best choice for places where your only allowed to use non mechanical equimpment.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the gold n sand and while it works good it water that's 3feet and shallower it however doesn't work well at all in swift water or deeper water. I would suggest make some custom nozzels out of pvc pip that are two feet or so long and it will fix the deeper water problem. This however doesn't fix the problem of the hose poping off do to swift water or the hose gets twisted and poping off. It is by far the best choice for places where your only allowed to use non mechanical equimpment.
To resolve the issue of the hose twisting off, use a hose clamp or zip tie. Easy fix that works on mine :-)
In deeper water, the xstream works much better than the original version it's true...and they do say that on the web site ;-)

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To resolve the issue of the hose twisting off, use a hose clamp or zip tie. Easy fix that works on mine :-)
In deeper water, the xstream works much better than the original version it's true...and they do say that on the web site ;-)

I thought about getting a new one but for the price I went with a new nozzel for my dredge. I only use the gold n sand for sampling state and federal forrest areas now. And the occasional pot hole I find in creeks.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not to get into any proprietary info, but what makes the Xtream better than the original device?

Here is what the website says:
Our basic hand dredge is built for creeks and streams, however at times it may be necessary to go much deeper. The X-Stream is built to dive and is totally submersible at great depths. With the new "Optimizer valve" that rotates a full 360 degrees, the X-Stream works at extreme angles.

No matter what angle you get yourself into under water, simply rotate the exit valve keeping the visible white dot at 12 o'clock noon. This addition makes it easier to snipe ledges or while in a horizontal position.

When you are Above the deep blue, the X-Stream works like our basic hand dredge. It's like getting two pumps in one!

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
So these or the X model can be fully submerged under water? Correct? And still pump material.

TT

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So these or the X model can be fully submerged under water? Correct? And still pump material.

TT

That's what it says but I wonder about that. I mean if you sumerge it completely under water there won't be air in the chamber it will fill with water and it won't pump as well. It will loose a lot of the suction.

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a brand new Gold n sand X. Looking to get it under water this weekend. Very simple design and well thought out.

JrallXS

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
Anderson, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got myself a gold-n-sand x-stream pro. i do have to tell ya' it does whats its built for. makes underwater sniping i little bit easier.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what it says but I wonder about that. I mean if you sumerge it completely under water there won't be air in the chamber it will fill with water and it won't pump as well. It will loose a lot of the suction.
Yes! Works well fully submerged. The trick is good venting of the tube 'above' the plunger seal. Red is a great designer and holds a couple patents.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Works well fully submerged. The trick is good venting of the tube 'above' the plunger seal. Red is a great designer and holds a couple patents.

Does the tube not fill with water? I was thinking if the tube is submerged and fills with water its hard to pump thus producing less suction.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that the diffrance is a rotating check valve. They would relaive a lot of issue with the hose but still the main chamber that creates the suction force would still have to fill with water on either side of the leather cups. I guess I didn't make my point clear sorry. But with water on both sides causing resistance it lowers the suction force you can create.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see that the diffrance is a rotating check valve. They would relaive a lot of issue with the hose but still the main chamber that creates the suction force would still have to fill with water on either side of the leather cups. I guess I didn't make my point clear sorry. But with water on both sides causing resistance it lowers the suction force you can create.
In general it would but that is taken into account in the design so it still works well full of water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions