handful of cw lead and an eerie find

diggervet

Dec 3, 2006
Mechanicsville, Va.
Detector(s) used
Deus XP/Nautilus 2B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
went out with my son yesterday to a heavily hunted site and came back with a handful of lead (one of which is still in the wood from the tree it hit).
My son found a small pile of wires that were part of the friction primers used to fire the cannons. Seemed kind of eerie because they were in a small pile and each one represents a firing of the cannon. How many people were on the receiving end of what each one of these little wires represents? I love this hobby because it makes time dissolve. Hope everybody has a good hunt!

Attachments

• 62114bulets.jpg
    62114bulets.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 113
  • frctprimwires62114.jpg
    frctprimwires62114.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 124
  • primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Upvote 14

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky you found those, I would have chucked them as chicken wire:laughing7: I had no clue, congrats

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a day of hunting that would surely put a smile on my face. I do have to admit however I probably would have tossed the wire things into my junk pouch not knowing what they were.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some hardcore history right there. You made a great point with the friction primer wires as well. I love hunting the CW relics, but it is easy to forget the carnage, suffering, and hardship the war brought to our country. Congrats

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love the history and the questions of the past that the finds bring

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds...I think the same with percussion caps. Years ago I located a firing line...caps everywhere in a line of about 100 yards. The occasional dropped bullet and dropped cap as well but more interesting, every once in a while a hard impact bullet (most certainly embedded in a tree that since rotted)

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is definitely more to be found. Nice finds

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds Guys ..
A good day in my book.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds !! and I agree with a few of the other peeps...I probly woulda just chucked them in the pouch for scrap, not knowing what they were. Appreciate the pics and associated story...and yes, I have ALWAYS wondered...who was on the other end of that fired bullet ? Did it pass through flesh, sinew and bone...for us to find 150 years later? Like TNGUNS sez...it is easy to forget the hardship. Thanks again..enjoyed it great post...ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread