wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold coin back.jpg gold coin front.jpg
Found this yesterday at an area that has been previously detected judging by someone not filling their holes very well.
Anyway I found this gold coin with bezel to be worn on a necklace, it was right off a well-worn path. I was using my AT pro and hit a signal around 72, A few inches down, the signal was pretty clear and not scratchy like a bottle Which would normally read around this number. This is a very trashy area but since there was a lot of shale in the dirt objects were not very deep I figured I would dig anything that had a clean signal over 50 on the pro.

It is a 1993 1/10 ounce .999 gold "coin" This was the first year for this particular series of coins featuring Hawaiian King Kamehameha

I would like to scratch off finding a gold coin from my metal detecting bucket list but I want to know if finding a gold coin that was obviously worn as a necklace still count as finding a gold coin.

Would you consider it still finding a gold coin? What do you all think??

I'll probably never find another one in my life..lol :3barsgold:

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If it were a 1800's gold coin in that pendant it would undoubtedly be a gold coin find, so your find should be no different. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely gold coin! Congrats awesome find! I vote banner!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find - Not sure if these bullion pieces are as banner worthy as obsolete gold coins , but it's a great find for sure !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I look at it, is bullion rather than a coin, its closer to a token than a coin. But thats just my thoughts, doesn't take away from the joy of finding it.

PS. as a collectors/investment piece it looks great & will only increase in value.8-)

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were a 1800's gold coin in that pendant it would undoubtedly be a gold coin find, so your find should be no different. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Your right but this is not technically a coin for circulation.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An exceptionally nice find, but not a coin. A coin is minted for circulation and has a denomination. This is a gold bullion piece. Congrats & HH 8-)

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Not taking anything away from your find - it is an awesome gold find. And I'll add that I have never found a gold coin or gold bullion or gold pendant. But in my opinion this falls into the category of gold jewelry and if as gold jewelry it gets voted onto the banner then it deserves to be there. But for some reason the powers to be of this site automatically put gold coins on the banner regardless of their use or purpose. There is an example of a gold coin that was repurposed to be jewelry on the banner right now - its a great find but in my opinion not derserving of the banner.

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I would say that if it fell out of the bezel it would be a coin not jewelry, but it could be a categorized as a bullion piece, Im on the fence with it, but leaning towards gold coin since when buying them online it falls under coin and not gold rounds or bars when purchasing them. I will look into it more, thanks for the replies

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nah, that's not a gold coin, send it to me and you won't have to worry about it anymore!...Of course that's a gold coin, enjoy it. :notworthy:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its yours now,call it what you want. Its changed hands more than once and been valued each time..... Congrats. Its a spectacular find.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would ya have any pc's of it dirty sure looks clean to be dug if not congrats to ya..

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's round, has a picture of a boat on it, a date, a makers mark and a kings picture and name - also it's GOLD :hello2: in fact purer gold than most. I would say it is definitely a coin - BANNER

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would ya have any pc's of it dirty sure looks clean to be dug if not congrats to ya..

it was only about 3 inches in the ground, very dry area, it had some dried up dirt on it and washed clean very easily. If I was going to fake it I own better gold coins that were bought from dealers.
I washed it with a water bottle and a tooth brush I have with me when I hunt, Since it wasn't an old coin I figured a little cleaning would not harm any value.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've made an amazing find. Whether or not it proves to be banner worthy. Whether or not it is decided it is or isn't a gold coin it doesn't matter. It's beautiful, you found it and dug it up. Don't fret the innuendos or subtle suggestions about whether it's too nice to have been dug. Those of us who are truly happy for you and share your joy at such a great find don't think like that.

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley-emoticon-000340-large.gif

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find !

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've made an amazing find. Whether or not it proves to be banner worthy. Whether or not it is decided it is or isn't a gold coin it doesn't matter. It's beautiful, you found it and dug it up. Don't fret the innuendos or subtle suggestions about whether it's too nice to have been dug. Those of us who are truly happy for you and share your joy at such a great find don't think like that.

View attachment 1013000

Thanks, I don't care about a banner vote, I just wanted to see how anyone else would categorize this find, my main question was should I cross off the "gold coin" on my list of things I would like to find. Still looking for a walking or standing liberty....

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy to trade you both a walking liberty half and standing liberty half for your gold coin/bullion piece.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread