Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
California City, California, Mojave desert
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this rock for about 10 years & still trying to identify it
It was completely covered with a thick very black substance, similar to charcoal & very difficult to remove off the Rock and also off your hands after handling it. This would re-appear after a short time even when storing it in a small box that is lined with satin
It's extremely heavy for it size: 632.7 grams, volume is 88 cubic centimeters, density grams per cubic centimeter is 7.19
It is non-magnetic using and computer hard drive magnet which slides off of it
Most people's first thought is it's a meteor. At Jared jewelers I had an expert gemologist briefly look at it stating it was not a meteor, put it down and walked away. I already figured that because it's not magnetic.
Any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_010858924~5.jpg
    IMG_20200310_010858924~5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200310_010938563~2.jpg
    IMG_20200310_010938563~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Polish_20200309_230555822~2.png
    Polish_20200309_230555822~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jaxson! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from MY DAILY SNAPSHOT over to ROCKS/GEMS for more exposure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaxson

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your much needed help,
yes, I'm very new to posting
I don't even know how to get my post into the right category or how to find my posts once their posted
I will definitely go into my profile and add my location
Thank you for everything I really appreciate it

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried a streak test on a freshly exposed surface? Does it have, or give, a sulfur like smell~ you can check that when you streak test it as well~? From the description of what it does after you clean it I suspect you have an active bit of Arseno pyrite though the crystal structure looks a little odd in the photo's but the color and your description of the weight is right.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaxson

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Streak test on the back of a piece of tile is gray
There is no sulfur smell. It has no smell at all. This photo I just took today. I used my Dremel with a aluminum oxide bit just to show the color little better IMG_20200409_130850648~2.jpg
the two smaller stones are from another rock all together but I didn't want to cut them out so you can see the streak test on the tile. Sometimes the color looks silver/gray sometimes goldish depending on which way you hold it & the lighting in the room

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for showing the test and some fresh surface in the photo. What I see, and what you describe, tells me its not a pyrite then. The brightness of the streak makes me think you have a mineral with a lot of silver in it, possibly some copper and lead as well. As to the initial black material you removed I cant explain but the blackening after cleaning may be silver tarnish, oxidization of silver. You can try a silver cleaner on a small area of it to see if it brightens. I suggest you ask around and see if there are any pawn shops or local geologists who have an XRF device to check the composition of it. Wish I could be more definitive but its certainly an interesting piece. My thoughts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaxson

Greenie
Apr 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. Can't seem to find anybody in the area that can help me yet and I certainly don't want to send it anywhere. There is a rock and gem club out here that were supposed to have a show at the end of this month but I don't think that's going to happen now. Hopefully they'll reschedule the date and I can see if I can find someone to help. I have taken it to the pawn shops but never asked about a xrf device but I will. Most people think it's a meteor but I have pretty much ruled that out due to its magnetic properties. I'll try the silver cleaner like you suggested & see what happens. Again thank you I really appreciate your help hopefully I'll be able to figure out what it is

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread