Hardstone whatzits

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
I'm just getting started and have been enjoying following this forum and learning alot.
I'm not sure if I'm using the term "hardstone" correctly. It's counterintuitive to me cause these stones are easy to break or grind while the quartz and flint are hard and brittle.

Either way, here's a few things I've picked up recently while scouting for spots.
This first one I think is a prehistoric baseball :D Actually I've seen similar stuff on line called manos. This thing is as perfectly round as a piece of rock can be. I've never seen a natural rock even close to this round. Second pic gives size reference.
IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

This next piece I'm quite sure is the broken off handle of a pestle. I've seen pestles found in this area and this is the perfect size and shape. If anything, it's smoother and better made than some I've seen in local collections. Last shot is looking straight down on the end to show circumference.
IMG_4298-1.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

This last one I know is man made. The groove is just too straight and even to be natural. Not sure what it is though. I've seen similar stuff on line called arrow smoothers. To me it seems more like a sharpening stone of some kind. It seems possible the "thumb hole" was added by the maker.
IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
To me, the "arrow straightener" appears to possibly be an abrading stone used in the knapping process. I have a couple a little larger than yours but flat and that's what the general consensus is around these parts.
Happy hunting!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first piece is just what you said it was. It's a Game Ball and a pretty nice one at that.

The second piece is either a broken top off of a Pestle or it could also be the broken poll end of a Poll Celt.

The third piece was more than likely used to sharpen Bone Needles and other Bone Tools.

YESSSS listen well to Dorkfish!! Those are definately Amerind artifacts, and nice for the type. While up your way doesnt always get the greatest chipped lithics, there have been some DAYUM fine hardstone finds up there!! Also your area is the home of a separate clovis type culture ::)
Just keep your nose down. Your gonna do good! You already got the eye for em.

OP
OP
M

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
Thanks everybody for confirming my finds and offering encouragement. Now I have more confidence in my eye and my spots. Points are sure to follow soon. Quartz is probably gonna be the primary lithic. I've already picked up some chips and pieces from a cornfield littered with broken shell fragments.

DF, I hadn't even heard of a pole celt before, I had to look it up. Now I'm kicking myself because the day I found the broken handle, I also picked up another piece that may have been the other end. I carried around for awhile then tossed it. I was thinking pestle with blount grinding end but that piece was more pointed. :-\ Oh well, there's always a learning curve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread