A Whatzit

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's something a little odd. This was found in the same area as the previous posts of points. A lot of points were found in this area which leads me to believe that this may have been used for something. For what....hmmm?

Well it was certainly strange enough that I just had to pick it up. What first caught my eye was the material. It seemed somewhat out of place for this area. I measures around 8"Lx7"H. On the lower left side of the piece(1st pic) is almost a small hollowed out bowl. The appendages on the other end seem to be slightly pointing in opposite directions even though the bottom one is chipped a bit. And the hole. :dontknow: The bottom of the piece sits almost perfectly flat on a table.

Any ideas? Kinda holding my breath as to what cannonman thinks. :wink: Keep'n my fingers crossed.

Attachments

• compressed photos.11.JPG
    compressed photos.11.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 400
  • compressed photos.12.JPG
    compressed photos.12.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 392
  • compressed photos.13.JPG
    compressed photos.13.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 395
  • compressed photos.14.JPG
    compressed photos.14.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 393
  • compressed photos.15.JPG
    compressed photos.15.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 395
  • compressed photos.16.JPG
    compressed photos.16.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

I'm not sure about yours, but I think mine is just a rock.

Attachments

• 100_0223.JPG
    100_0223.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 352

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Cannonman17 said:
Not just a rock! A rock with a hole in it! Would be great in an aquarium-
Exactly what I was thinking.
When I go hunting for stuff I hunt for STUFF. Neat rocks, crystals, points, whatever catches my eye comes home with me.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It may just be a rock that one of our primitive brothers liked and brought home with him. He may have figured that it might be useful someday. I am a packrat and that's exactly what I would have done. I'm sure there are lots of items at sites that could have been used once or twice to see if it would help them. They just aren't classified as definitive tools of the trade.

Neat rock though!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Some rocks with holes found on Indian sites were used as shaft straighteners.

Shemanese

Jun 23, 2008
Cache Crazy--Saw a few of those in a creek at a State Park in Ky. on my way to Boonesborough. Unusual Rock.

K

Kentucky Kache

Shemanese said:
Cache Crazy--Saw a few of those in a creek at a State Park in Ky. on my way to Boonesborough. Unusual Rock.

You never know what you'll find next. That's what keeps us going.

Kneedeep

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
Hello,
By the grain it appears to be sandstone, siltsone or some other sedimentary rock, out here on the lower Potomac the ancients used similar rocks for grinding and shaping. Your specimen appears to have makings to refelect that type of use particularly on the one edge that apperas to be flat, smooth and ~1" wide. The hole in the center is especially interesting as it is elongated on the one side making it appear it is the result of intentional use and as one other pointed out perhaps used for straightening sticks for arrows.

There are also some finer markings on it that appear to be intentional but are pretty worn down making them indistinguishable. As you may know our ancestors carved something in nearly everything they touched, (usually a bird) or made it look like something they admired. It would be likely it is a well worn specialized shaping tool that was long discarded.

No matter what it is it is totally neat. I personally have several that look similar to yours but lack the hole in the middle.
Just two cents from the east coast...

A

archaeon

the first one looks like a geofact, the second one that has a hole in it with a little groove in the top of the hole could have been a canoe anchor made from a geofact. the indians also found these rocks with holes in them and sometimes used them as anchors for canoes...the groove looks like it could be where the line was attached.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it looks like my paint mixing bowl/shaft debarking hole/arrow straightener appendages multi-tool theory is out the window? :D I do thank you for all your responses.

Arrgghh...Now I guess I need to go out and buy an aquarium!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread