HAS ANYONE ELSE TRIED WIRELESS HEADPHONES. HERE IS MY SET UP....

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
So here's the deal, I'm 6'4" and more upper body height, so when I detect, I have had to add an extention cord to my headphones. So tinkering around, like I usually do, never satisfied with things the way the are, I thought I would try to come up with a wireless headphone system that actually works. Not wanting to invest a ton of money, here's what I have concocted (and preliminary tests in the yard this even seems to show this will work). Important info, I am experimenting on my White's Eagle Spectrum. I felt this is important since this unit puts out a MONO signal and the headphones are Stereo with no MONO/Stereo switch. I started with the Sentry H0900 wireless protable headphones. I bought a 1 foot 1/8" stereo to 1/8" stereo component wire (male connector on both ends) and a size adapter that accepts a 1/8" stereo and converts to 1/4" MONO. The headphone are fully portable, the headset uses 2 AAA batteries and the "transmitter" uses 1 9V battery. The transmitter is about the size of a small empty wallet. The headphone are good for upto 100 feet away from the transmitter, so since the transmitter is only a couple of feet away from the headphones, I do not need to extend the antenna. Also, the headphones have their own volume control. I have attached the transmitter to the underside of my control box using velcro and ran the 1 foot wire from the transmitter to the headphone jack on my machine. Since the transmitter uses a 1/8 plug, I needed the adapter to plug into the machine. Radio Shack does sell wires that are 1/4" on one end and 1/8" on the other, but they are either Stereo to Stereo, MONO to MONO or Stereo to MONO and I needed MONO to Stereo. (confused yet?) Anyway, it seems to work, I will field test tomorrow. (but will have my normal headphones with me just in case)

Since I have a stand on my control box, the transmitter sits nicely on the bottom of the control box and is protected from damage. I will try to post some photos later this evening or tomorrow.

Total investment:
Sentry H0900 wireless headphones.......................$14.99
(available at Big Lots, Walmart.com and/or ebay)
1 foot 1/8 stereo to 1/8 stereo wire....................... 5.99
(Radio Shack)
1/8 stereo to 1/4 MONO adapter........................... 3.99
(Radio Shack)
Velcro with sticky back......................................... 2.49
(Walmart)
2 AAA batteries and 1 9volt battery....................... 5.98
(Walmart)
TOTAL...............................................................$33.44

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
i have used them with a similar setup and they worked pretty good with a slow response detector (EX2) but when I tried them on my fisher F-75 (which has a lightning recovery rate) I found that they could not keep up. The beep was always long after the coil had gone over the target. Also the battery life is extremely short and i found myself changing batteries several times during a hunt. For me, I will live with the wire

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post nc-joe.

As for wireless phones this subject comes up many times and seems to always go the same way. A few post they they like it, a few don't, and the thread just melts away.

I agree with you that wireless is the way to go. But, for some really odd reason hobby metal detector manufactures just don't seem all that interrested.

I personally think they're missing the mark here.

Keep posting joe and let us know what you discover.

Badger

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of White's Kw-Pro Headphones made by Koss. The wires on these are 6 feet long. I am 6' 2" and they are to long for me. I loop the extra in the velcro of my arm strap. They also have a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Just pay $6.00 s&h when something goes wrong. I paid $70.00

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Why not just hip mount the control box ? On XP machines this is a standard option. On XP machines the system also features as an option, cordless blue tooth headphones (Transmitter is built in as standard on all the newer machines, for the older it can be fitted). And this system is fast enough for even the GoldMaxx Power (One of the fastest machines on the market), with a 40 to 50 hour battery life, and fast two hour charge.
Just my thoughts
Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions