Has anyone used a McKirk Eureka power sluice with pre-classified material?

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just bought a McKirk "Eureka" power sluice to use with a very high volume 4" dredge. The material will first be classifed to a max. of 3/16" (~5mm) material before it hits the Eureka sluice. Would like to get some ideas such as -

1. The optimum angle to maintain the sluice
2. Does a high water flow affect the catchment capabilities or doesn't this matter?
3. The gold in the Carolina slate belt is generally fine gold to flour.
4. I am lso using a very powerful electromagnet that can lift a contact object of 600 pounds when energized to remove and capture the black sands from the slurry. Cleanup is easy, shut off the 12V battery power to release the magntite/hematite into a bucket for treatment later. See http://www.magnetechcorp.com/Rectangular_Square.htm for more information. I've seen some rare earth magetic bars at prices higher than this, but they don't have an on-off switch.

I would appreciate your comments on this combination so I don't have to waste a significant amount of time to get the sluice dialed in.

Thanks to all.
ncclaymaker

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Really need to know more about your dredge setup. If you're screening to 3/16 you'll have to slow down or you'll blow the gold through. The magnet will probably lift the gold along with the magnetics somewhat and that would also cause gold to go through. I think the sluice would work fine but you will have to match the water flow to how the riffles are working in the sluice. Power jet or suction nozzle? Suction nozzle will start to classify right from the nozzle and be dropping down all the way up the hose where a power jet doesn't as well. Flair or crash box? Crash box just defeted all gained on the way up the hose. Lots of questions to get better answers. Doug.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Doug;
Some great questions. The screen or perforated plate used on this classifier is 0.140 X 0.187 rated at 51% open. The dimensions of the perforated plate area is 12" wide X 48" in length. At 51% open, the water and the finer particulate matter should drop through with little, if any problem. The power jet is conveying the slurry up and over the sluice, into a crashbox at the top. The slurry target area in the crashbox has a layer of rubber matting applied, to resist abrasion, much like sandblasters resist. The angle of the classifier will be adjusted so that it ejects unwanted oversized material and not any steeper.

The reason for the electromagnet placed over the classifier, instead of over the sluice itself, is simple. I don't really wish to jam up the sluice with magnetite any more than neccesary.

Would a light rubber mat trailing on top of the classifier help settle the slurry down or is it just eye wash? I haven't seen anything conclusive that indicates that it is remotely effective, except that it adds weight to the rig.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words. Looks like your setup will work. Try it and see. I wouldn't hesitate to use a MacKirk sluice box in that setup a bit. Let us know how it works. Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread