Has Anyone...

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't quote me but isn't the diameter of that coin different from current circulation coins

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I think someone may have posted fairly recently about having found one of those, maybe in a cent or dime roll.....but I cant remember now for sure. That sure would be a nice find.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one, an 1858, in a bag of dimes. Definitely not as nice as Mental Unrest's though. Mine was pretty beat up. Just neat to get!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one that was counterstamped out of TDs penny arcade reject slot once.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I had a teller give me one a couple years back. She had a small bag of odd coins. Included a couple buffalos nickels and a peace dollar. I have it in my CRH type collection. It was in uncirculated condition so was a collection dump coin. She charged me a dime for it.

Maine_Jim

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think someone may have posted fairly recently about having found one of those, maybe in a cent or dime roll.....but I cant remember now for sure. That sure would be a nice find.

SilverFace: that was my recent post of :Nov.25,2013 titled "Most unusual rare find in box of dimes". Was a nickel 3-cent piece, 1873? In fair/good condition but readable, still a keeper however. Size and weight is almost exact as a dime.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I think yours was the one I was thinking of Dozer D. I just found your post and Im pretty that's the one I was thinking of I just couldn't remember who it was that found it. I just thought I remembered a post from sometime late last year. Congrats again on that nice find.

Btw, I was just thinking accordselux mentioned on your thread that it would be fun to try and spend the one he found just to see how merchants would react and if anyone would accept it. That would be kinda funny if someone had a huge collection of 2 and 3 cent pieces and started circulating them (if they could) all over town. Most people seem to have a hard enough time understanding and calculating half dollars and dollar coins. Two and three cent pieces would probably be just too much for most people to comprehend lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread