Has the world gone "cell phone crazy" ? Your thoughts on this obvious "addiction"...

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the link...There was a picture floating around of a girl taking a selfie in a bathroom mirror , well.....she didn't realize...The toilet behind her had the lid open with a huge log floating in it.

I have seen that one. heh

Kinda "kills the mood" :P

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No texting for me.

DSCN9768.JPG

DSCN9769.JPG

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my new flip phone about five months ago after the last one died after seven years of use. I make a living as a Highway Worker for the State and it is very sad to see the amount of people on their phones as I am tying to get them to stop or slow down in our work zones! It is all fun and games posting and driving until you kill one of my coworkers or myself because you couldn't wait until you got home to let people know what a bad day you had at work! I have NO sympathy for these selfish people who would put the rest of the motoring public in harms way for something that could wait.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texting on a phone to me is already dumb ... as I have stated.
Texting and driving takes it right off the end of the diving board of stupid.

Last edited:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all comes down to a lack of social skills. These folks have hundreds of friends they do not know. Cannot imagine them being able to knock on a door and get a permission.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texting on a phone to me is already a dumb ... as I have stated.
Texting and driving takes it right off the end of the diving board of stupid.

It is a royal PIA for me to text. I have a 24" screen on my home PC, and a 17" laptop. I can not imagine trying to use a smartphone for "T-Net" or any interweb stuff ...no sir! I stand corrected...at garage sales I use my smart phone to look stuff up. I use voice command for that.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no excuse for having a cell phone jammed into your ear while driving. Use a hands free device or maybe you could actually hang up the phone and drive! Hey, that's a thought! LOL!

It's so easy to spot the drivers using a cell phone. No turn signals (no hands available to engage it), slow reaction to a green light, vehicle speed varies constantly and they spend half their time in the breakdown lane and the other half crossing the center line! Ridiculous that anyone would risk their life and the lives of others just to gab on the phone...

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*** BURRP ***
Ahhh much better that I ate my dinner...
I ate fast so I could hurry back...
Did not want to miss anything. :)

At first I ate it slow...
But then I thought I might miss something... so then I ate fast...
I had potatoes...
Mashed...
With gravy...
Smoked sausage... was salty though... not as good a batch as before...
I had carrots...
Macaroni with cheese...
With parmesan sprinkled on top...

I have pictures of the gravy... wanna see...?
Or you can wait...
gonna post them on FB later,,, heh :P
Way too much info for me------------------------I want to hear about that standing Liberty you found. What detector, what depth, and a pic if you have one. :occasion14: What you had for dinner is between your wife and you.:laughing7:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meanwhile all the payphones were removed, making it impossible to escape the matrix.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't agree with texting while driving ever but other than that if people want to text it is their business and not my place to judge.... I grew up with 3 TV stations and 1 was snowy, just different time period to me. I am personally glad I grew up when I did but that time is mostly gone unless you one of the few who can live off the grid ...
It wouldn't surprise me if Texting and phone conversations, etc, on a phone/device while driving doesn't cause as many accidents as driving under the influence. Too bad they don't have a meter to blow into to detect phone/device usage while driving.:BangHead:
Marvin

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way too much info for me------------------------I want to hear about that standing Liberty you found. What detector, what depth, and a pic if you have one. :occasion14: What you had for dinner is between your wife and you.:laughing7:

Sarcasm sometimes works as a Band-Aid :P

Rodnreelerr

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,,,, Garrett Pro PinPointer,,,Garrett 250 ace w/ dd 81/2 x 11 coil
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been watching the same thing for a decade,,its almost like watching a Monkey with a toy! Our technology has went backwards in its communication like you said, and the leaders of the industry have had to reinvent ways to keep the publics focus on the next upgraded gadget,,I live in Florida and a lot or tourists frequent our beaches,,and what I see a lot is them walking and texting,, not paying really any attention as to where they really are,,when they have paid thousands to be here, but stuck doing the same thing they do at home,,stare in to that little 2x5 screen. I can understand a child or kid getting caught up in this social media out burst but a full grow adult? Someone wasn't paying attention! Myself a text message is used to retrieve the grocery list that I left at home, a writtin note,,an app for this an app for that,, all crazy, the more of our lives we put into public display, they less rights we will have in the end, because they will be taking them away, while we aren't paying attention to anything but that little screen in our hand!

Last edited:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy told me of a backyard fire/beer/q that he had at his place. He stepped into his house then went back out to the yard. Every one of them was silent with their heads down and staring, un freakin believable. I am proud of the fact that I haven"t gone ape on anyone in front of me in a fast food line, in a zombie state while all the other cars ahead left.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching the same thing for a decade,,its almost like watching a Monkey with a toy! Our technology has went backwards in its communication like you said, and the leaders of the industry have had to reinvent ways to keep the publics focus on the next upgraded gadget,,I live in Florida and a lot or tourists frequent our beaches,,and what I see a lot is them walking and texting,, not paying really any attention as to where they really are,,when they have paid thousands to be here, but stuck doing the same thing they do at home,,stare in to that little 2x5 screen. I can understand a child or kid getting caught up in this social media out burst but a full grow adult? Someone wasn't paying attention! Myself a text message is used to retrieve the grocery list that I left at home, a writtin note,,an app for this an app for that,, all crazy, the more of our lives we put into public display, they less rights we will have in the end, because they will be taking them away, while we aren't paying attention to anything but that little screen in our hand!

Life is what happens around you you while your looking down at your phone.
In there defense they do look up if they have a selfie stick,
My daughter calls what's around her out world I had to declare no cellphone zones in my house it was a battle but it is dying out .she cancelled her Facebook tired of drama .she's twenty now and has successfully rejoined out world my younger boys show no interest in social media .(there is hope)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in telecom (wireline) and cellphones have signaled the end of my career.

Had a service call a while back for an elderly female doctor that treated her patients out of her home. She would not allow cellular or any RF devices in her home while she was there. She says she has several patients she is treating for what she calls 'RF-induced illnesses'...and I was there to remover her wifi router that was installed several weeks before.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Hunter GT- I prefer to text over phone conversations. It is less engaging and I am still able to do other task. I could almost do without a phone for actual calls and just have texting.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in telecom (wireline) and cellphones have signaled the end of my career.

Had a service call a while back for an elderly female doctor that treated her patients out of her home. She would not allow cellular or any RF devices in her home while she was there. She says she has several patients she is treating for what she calls 'RF-induced illnesses'...and I was there to remover her wifi router that was installed several weeks before.

Like the guy in "Better call Saul"? As it turned out it was all BS as well as him being allergic to light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread