Haunted Treasure Legends

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Put Your Haunted Treasure Legends Here :o :o :o

The story is thereā€™s gold in them there hills ā€” and its guarded by a ghost.

The cold, damp air howls through the coulees, ridges and valleys leading up to Wildcat Mountain State Park, two miles east of Ontario. On an overcast fall Wisconsin day, the remaining brightly colored fall leaves, with their oranges and yellows, make the mountain surreal. Against the gray sky, it appears as if some of the trees themselves are glowing.

If the interweaving roads and trails leading up to the mountain could tell a story, it wouldnā€™t be just one story, it would be many.

The Mountain itself is said to be haunted by a very specific ghost ā€” Wildcat Mountainā€™s Sentinel.

The story of the Sentinel was chronicled in the 1996 book Driftless Spirits by Dennis Boyer. An attorney by trade and one of Wisconsinā€™s finest folklore authors, Boyer wrote about his interview with a unnamed Rockton resident.

During the term of Illinois Governor John Peter Altgeld, who held that post from 1892-1896, a load of gold in an iron-plated wagon was supposedly traveling from Billings Mont., possibly to Chicago. The reason? According to Boyerā€™s story, ā€œSomehow there was a connection (between a Billings family) Governor Altgeld of Illinois, William Jennings Bryan, and some Oklahoma radicals.... Mention was also made of shadowy groups and odd conspiracies.ā€

However, word got out that a load of gold was on the road, and soon everyone, from treasury agents to common highway thieves, was looking for it.

As the wagon train with the gold passed Wildcat Mountain, the man from Billings in charge of the expedition had the gold buried high in the rocks at night. Then the wagon train carried on. However, ā€œLatin American revolutions and World War I claimed the lives of everyone who had seen where the gold was buried.ā€

ā€œThereā€™s a treasure up on Wildcat Mountain. Did you know that? Most people donā€™t! ... Gold like you wonā€™t believe. Bags and bags of it. Worth millions, I would guess.ā€

An excerpt from from the story ā€˜Wildcat Mountainā€™s Sentinelā€™ appearing in Dennis Boyerā€™s

1996 book, Driftless Spirits.

Attached :
Odd stands of rocks dot the landscape atop Wildcat Mountain's ridges. There appear to be endless places to hide a treasure, yet mark it well to be found later. (Matt Johnson photo)

Attachments

• Odd Rocks.jpg
    Odd Rocks.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,309
  • wmcolor2.jpg
    wmcolor2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,271

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
HEY! Gypsy Lady!
I can take you to a place, (in Arizona)
Where a paranormal occurrence, occurred!
&
That was witnessed by four experienced outdoors persons, 8)
Myself, being one of them!
Actually, there were TWO! seperate occurrences, on that trip !
(Of this/a paranormal activity ! )
It's a fairly easy hike (4miles) from the Jeep!
But!
Both are... (Jeep & The Occurrence)
Deep within the Mnts!
In a deep, dark! :P canyon,
But! with a nice cliff dwelling just above our old campsite, in the canyon !
A canyon with Black Rattlesnakes, an old gravestone (handcarved),
AND!
:o A very spooky name! :o
This is NOT! For the WEAK HEARTED! :-\
As It Is! For REAL! :o
For reservations !!!!! :P
[email protected]

VICTORIO

Jun 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II & Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell us more Mi Capitan.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
This event happened over a period of two days!
That means, a whole lot of typing to explain what happened!
AND!
Being,
That, I'm not the fastest keyboarder...
So! It would take me forever to type up the story!
But!
If you'll "foot the bill" ??? ;D
I can give you my phone number, and then you can call me!
AND!
I can relate the events to you !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread