Have an opportunity to buy a new Excalibur II for USD $960!

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'd like to get some feedback from the veterans here on a metal detector purchase. I'm in the market for a salt water beach and diving detector and have been debating between the Excalibur II and the Fisher CZ-21. I've spent the last couple of weeks carefully going through multiple threads on the subject. In the end, they seem both to be quality machines and the consensus seemed to be that you can't go wrong with either. I had pretty much decided that I would go with CZ-21 UNTIL recently learning of the following:

I live in Bogota, Colombia where the dollar has been rallying against the Colombian peso. The local metal detecting shop has a new Minelab Excalibur II w/ 8" coil which is now going for the equivalent of USD $960, which seems like a great bargain for this machine. They, unfortunately, don't carry Fisher machines. So now, I'm thinking that the $960 price for the Excalibur is too good to pass up (my alternative is to wait until I venture back to the States in February to buy the CZ-21 at about USD $1125 through Bart).

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm now leaning toward buying the Excalibur II at that excellent price, however, I hesitate because of all the modifications needed to be made to the Excal II (headphones, shaft, etc. etc.).

Upvote 0

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've heard reports of counterfeit Excals going for "can't pass it up" prices so beware!!! I believe genuine Excals have a halogram that validates its authenticity. I'm sure others can verify that.

If it's genuine however, then you will have yourself a top notch beach/water machine at a super price. Again, beware of counterfeits

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two cents - get the Excal at that price. You can start using it immediately, are getting a great deal and don't have to cross a border with it (customs charges). The only two questions I would ask myself are (1) is it real and (2) what size coil? Go to the Minelab site for instruction on how to avoid a phony, so that one is easy. Regarding coil size, if you are only getting one, then you may want to ask some opinions from the "power users" on this forum. I have noticed larger coils being used on Excalibur by the pros that I have bumped into.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep in mind you dont have to modify it. its great the way it is. i look at the mods youre able to do as an added bonus and advantage of the detector. like others say, just make sure its not counterfeit. good luck.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you call Minelab with the serial number they will verify its authenticity. Most Minelab counterfeits are the CTX 3030 or higher priced gold machines. GL

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys, for the feedback. It's a legitimate new Minelab as they are a Minelab authorized dealer. The only reason for the good price is because I am paying in Colombian pesos which has fallen greatly against the greenback in the last few months. My only hesitation is the ol' Excal II vs. Fisher CZ21 debate. I'm thinking the CZ21 will be less of a headache and easier to get fixed, since I'm in South America. I also hear I can get a CZ21 in the States for about $850.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
At that price you can easily sell it and probably won't lose anything on your investment, if you don't like it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread