Have you ever buried something for people in the FUTURE to find?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not yet. But I think I will sometime. There's a hill I hunt that overlooks a river and tributary. The area has history (Indian/military) going back to the mid 1700's. So I know sometime in the future somebody is going to have the same idea I had and start hunting this hill. So, I'm thinking about burying a mason jar with a note in it saying who I am and that I have searched the majority of the hill, what I have found, etc.. The hill has like 7 acres and I just started hunting it last summer. So I'll be awhile before I finish. Maybe Like another year or two. ;D

-Swartzie

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
menotomymaps said:
Around 1964 I carefully wrapped my 3 favorite Matchbox cars in plastic and buried them in a coffee can in my back yard.
My family sold that house years ago, but maybe some day someone will find ‘em.

Ahh that is very cool! Maybe I still have something from my second marriage I could bury. Does the item technically have to be inanimate? :laughing7:

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I never have, but my dad told me when he was growing up on a farm place he buried a Prince Albert can with some toys and some change in it. It's kinda funny because the years i've been MD'ing I never thought about trying to find it untill reading your post. I might see if dad wants to ride over to that place and see if we can find it. How cool would that be?? Every time I find a something, the one thing that always goes through my head is how and why did they loose it. If we did happen to find it, I wonder if dad might of thought that his son would find it some 40 years later?? Great post and thanks for the idea! :icon_thumright:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard about one old school that buried a time capsule in the basement back in the 1890's to be opened in 1940.

But people forgot all about it and it was found by accident in the 1990's.

Can't remember what was all was in it, but there were letters from the students.

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the first cache I buried...
buried treasure (2).JPG

It is full of zincolns, trinkets, odds & ends, a few old wheat pennies and whatever other weird thing I dug up while TH.
buried treasure.jpg

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Be sure to put some kind of marker to follow for it. Like a rock looking like an arrow or something. Maybe people will catch on.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ScrugneysGunDogs said:

It is full of zincolns, trinkets, odds & ends, a few old wheat pennies and whatever other weird thing I dug up while TH.

Actually, this is a wonderful idea! I think I might just do this - Thanks for Posting it!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ScrugneysGunDogs said:

That is classic!
I hid my GI JOE parachute soldier in a corner block of my old home when I was a little guy...I'll bet he's still there.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nos as such, but when I was framing new homes, I would always nail a new penny to one of the studs, and sign my name next to it. Then when I started doing remodel work I kept finding beer cans in the walls. I always made sure to keep one for myself, and to leave a new one in the wall with the old ones, also signing my name to the stud next to it......

Also, an oops moment, I set a bag of taco bell food on a ledge, and when I came back at the end of the day for my leftovers, the sheetrockers had sealed it up into the wall...... I'm not sure what a nacho bell grande will be worth in the future, but I'd hate to open that wall up........

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a couple of cap pistols when my best friend & I became blood brothers, nice ones, now that I think about it.

Also a quarter under a couple of my section corners that I recovered remains of the originals, placed in the 1830's and 1840's. The quarters were the statehood ones, I thought would be interesting in 50 years or so.

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
I've have dug in areas where CW relics are found and I will set there and dig a good target that ends up being a beer can 18 inches in the ground planted by past relic hunters I believe. Not a funny joke lol

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I have been wanting to start a thread like this for a while.

When I was a kid, one of my all time favorite films was 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World'. The thought of a bunch of people racing around trying to find some loot has always intrigued me.

I have a pretty decent coin collection, and I RARELY ever sell even one of my coins. The last coin I sold was a Stone Mountain Commemorative half and even then I took part of the amount in trade for a 90% JFK just so my silver total would remain intact. I decided that if I ever make it around to see my "twilight years", that I would bury my entire coin collection in a remote location. After I pass on to the great silver mine in the sky (or in the ground) I would inform all my relatives of my actions in my will. I could then look down from above (or up from below) and observe them all running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to locate my stash. Even if there is no afterlife, In my last moments I think I would still get a good chuckle out of all the trouble I knew I was going to cause after I passed on.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 1965 I buried in my back yard in Los Gatos Calif. a box full of green army men, a toy metal badge, coins, and several other items that I don't remember. I'm sure it is still buried there. That town is about 100 miles south from where I live now, so hopefully someone else will find it. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEAT idea! But I'm probably leaving all kinds of stuff for future detectorists... or my Girlfriend's son has a confession for me about my tools! Anyway, a favorite spot for me to dig for coins purposely discarded is an OLD bridge/covered bridge. Hmmm, I wonder if that takes the wish away... ? TTC

bdhoward

Apr 27, 2011
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 1500/Minelab Safari
Yes I have. Back in 1985, when I was just a young boy of 12, I buried a number of items that included a letter I had written about how life was in 1985. I sealed everything up in an air tight ziplock bag and placed it in a "coffin" of bricks I had built about 2 feet under the earths surface in my grandmothers back yard. I cant remember everything I put in there, but I do remember a couple of items I encapsuled. One was my favorite arrowhead necklace I used to wear and I remember placing a matchbox car in there as well. Also, I placed a variety of coins in the bag. I then made a treasure map that I hid in the upstairs fireplace mantle (my grandmother owned a duplex) for someone to find someday. I sometimes think about going and digging it up for the nostalgia of it, but I dont. I am now 37 years old and just the thought of 25 years passing by since I buried that in my innocence is almost unreal to believe. Just knowing that it still lies in wait for somebody, someday, is an awesome feeling of immortality....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my backyard,in my compost heap,I burried a metal popcorn tin with my kids homework and art work from elementry school,and am planing to dig it up when the graduate from college. :dontknow:
Hopefully in 4-5 years.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1986 North of Woodland Park Colorado At a place called "Rainbow Falls" there are some small cilffs scattered around in the woods on one of these cliffs/rocks A friend and me found a small hollowed out pocket (looks just like the caves of Mesa Verde,but waaaay way smaller) we filled this tiny cave with antique bottles (there is even one from Cripple Creek) coins jewelry etc,etc. and then stacked rocks in a wall to cover the opening If you find it,let me know :wink: Also within 100 feet of the last cache I buried an 1892 Morgan Silver dollar in an old tin, Carved into the
rock face directly above are combonation of my initals. If ya find it let me know :wink: In my construction years every house we built or remodeled has some kind of items in the walls floors,somewhere. Under the bathroom floor of a house in Victor Colo,we put a planters peanut can full of coins & in the attic some bottles.If ya find it let me know :wink: Also we hiked the North face of Pikes Peak for 18 years straight,from Crystal Creek lake to the summit , through the years we would put a penny,nickle,dime & quarter from that year in a film canister and put it in a stump or a niche in a rock,if ya find one ,let me know :headbang: there are many more I cant even remember.Guess we did it because we have found sooooo much through the years,we wanted to leave something for the next generation or two to find :) if you find one,please put something else in as I have left maps to some of these for my nephews to find long after I'm gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread