Have you ever gotten a brand new coin like this in your change?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my boss received, in his change from the Valero store, a nearly brand new (give or take 30 yrs.) ///1976\\\ nickel. Yes, folks, I couldn't believe my eyes. It had one little ding near the nose and a couple of minor, VERY light, hair-thin scuffs on the front. All embossings were still frosted and the rest of the slug looked like a mirror. It looked like those fancy silver coins that spin around in front of you on the Home Shopping Network. It was that good looking.

I ASKED him to give it to me and he would not. I TOLD him to give it to me and he would not. I thought about kicking his a** and taking it from him, but, did I mention he is my boss. Doesn't matter....I know I can take him. Any way I was wondering if anyone else had ever gotten fresh coins like that.

He said he will get a picture and send it to me.

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you stoney. i will ask him tomorrow to look at it. i am very excited to see one that old in that condition in circulation. the little star between liberty and 1976 is much smaller than in the 1958 i compared it to.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a lot to be said for knowing in your heart of hearts that you can beat the snot out of your boss. Not that the Pirate condones fighting (I've never started a fight in my life) But knowing that when it all goes down at the end of the day, you could pummel the man who signs your check.
I'm an alpha male 6' tall 250 pounds and when I walk in a room, you know I'm there. I've (not even meaning to) struck fear in the hearts of men, and as primal as it sounds, even standing in dress clothes at work and as sweet a guy as I am, deep down I know I could kick every man in the office's ass. I think no matter how old you are, if you've ever been in a fight, you still tend to size up the situation, wondering if you could take someone. Did I mention I'm really a sweet guy, and I work in the information technology field, not a hotbed of fist fights. Rarely is one installing a router or setting up a wireless network and a riot breaks out.

You're off your map, boy...
Here there be monsters! ;)

HH,
Ramapirate

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Most Likely a Frosted Proof.

Either not quite good enough for Mint Sale & Thrown into the
Genral Shipment, Or Broken out of a Set, & spent.

Most likely my Second Choice.

Found one in change once. & re Spent it, last time I cashed my Change in.

Jeff

Attachments

• d6_1_b.jpg
    d6_1_b.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 420
  • d6_1.jpg
    d6_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 417

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a proof set was broken open and put into circulation. :-\

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are purdy when they shine like that.
Hey pirate, where do you work, Japan? You come into a pub around these parts and you'd be the short, fat guy. ;D

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 6' 210lbs., loud mouthed, brash, brazen and say what's on ma' mind... Never started a fight in my life, although I have pissed off enough people to start one for me. Never left a fight unfinished either. The only winner in a fight is the guy who didn't lose... I don't have to whoop him for the coin. He's blind enough to drop it sooner of later and never hear it fall.... And he doesn't sign my checks. The other boss does.

Jeff, that is exactly what his coin looks like and it is just as beautiful as that one. It is awesome to me that it is 1976. We also thought that it was from a broken set. Guess we'll never know that.

Try some of the east Houston country clubs. Bigger is badder. Damn rednecks make me look like a runt and I'm one of them.

PEACE ALL.....

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a southern gentleman, and rarely raise my voice. I just have a commanding presence without really trying to. I go to church, sing in the choir, pray before I eat (even in resturants) say yes mam / no mam, and am polite to a fault. Just don't push my buttons to hard.
It's bout time to turn this squirrel loose and do some mding...weeeet...yahh!!!

I'll be your huckleberry,
Ramapirate ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, you macho guys, take notice. I'm 62 years old and it takes a big man to whip my a$$.......but it doesn't take him very long! ;) :D Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread