have you guys seen the new gold hog HOG PAN?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gold panners looks pretty neet to use but a little pricey at 279.00 but it is ruggeg has 5 year warranty 1/8th" thick built in grizzly plus fluid trap and has a piece of ur matting on the bottom its a great tool to have if you live in like the state of VT where its almost a pan only.

Upvote 0

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whelp, just got back from a short three day trip with the Hogpan...it worked great for concentrating down whatever I threw in it, with the exception of blonde and black sand mix. With that mixture it started to plug up the side slits. Although it did look like all the black sand made it to the bottom! Other than that little bit I tried with pure sand, it worked great, even down to 100- mesh gold capture! Overall I'm pleased with it, not to mention being able to shovel right into it, wash, then wash into a 5 gallon bucket ready for the sluice box. Two guys can fill a 5 gallon bucket with concentrates in about 1/2 hour! Not going to happen with just a classifier and a bucket if your washing your rock! Its taken quite the beating so far, and seems it will outlast me..lol!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got to hold one in my hand. Looked stout! Wish I had one today! It's getting dry in these parts!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for your feedback Goldhock. :)

Though, I just cant see the value because there are so many cheaper tools out there that do the exact same thing, not to mention quicker too.

Cut out all the middle men and buy a Bazooka Gold Trap (If you have the water flow) :)
Many people have a grill over their standard sluice to classify the material as they shovel in.

Why not use a simple bucket screen and then sluice?

Two people working a bucket screen should get 5gal of classified material in about 5-10 minutes depending on material and aspiration.

Take care and welcome to TNet. :)

-Eric-

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Eric, sadly in some parts of Colorado its panning only. And the HP gets down to super concentrates in seconds. I was recently in Wyoming where sluicing is allowed. All we had was the hog pan and a sluice, so we used it to wash and classify before running it.

After all the hiking carrying a Keene sluice, and the Hog Pan, I'm currently looking at the BGT for areas, including some in CO that allow sluicing, Just can't decide!

I was thinking of a grill over the sluice, but how do you wash the rock then? That was my problem with the screen over the bucket. I'm usually a one man operation, and filling a screen with material and then having to wash over it with another bucket of water whilst trying to shake it down, seemed daunting at best! Hence the Hog Pan. also I don't see any bucket screen holding up to the cobble I wash in the HP! The reason it takes longer I suppose to fill a bucket is how little concentrates are left in the HP.

The gold we've been finding in WY is small, and buried in very large cobble, and tons and tons of black sand. Would you have any recommendations? Have you had a chance to work the BGT in areas with heavy amounts of black sand?
Thanks for your help!

Bob

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotcha, you might want to try the Pyramid Pan Pro for area's that you are only allowed to pan in as some area's would bar the hog pan because of the classification that it does, but since you already have it I would just run it till someone says otherwise.

For loads of black sands you will have to clean the bazooka out more often, you will have to feel this one out.

The Miner is best suited to deal with huge cobbles and loads of cons.
The only problems that I can think of for the Miner is that it is not hiking friendly unless you strap it to your backpack somehow.
Also, it is so wide at the end that it requires a tub to clean out in, too large for a 5gal bucket.

Your next best option is the long deck Prospector model with the heavy design to handle the larger, heavier cobbles.
Being that you are only finding fine gold I would stick with the stock grizzlies and not worry about getting the large ones.

To wash the rocks on the standard sluice screen mod just splash some water on the rocks and then flip the screen to get rid of the rocks.

As for the cons in the Gold Hog pan, if they are really fine then I can see how it would take much longer to fill a 5gal bucket, as you said, Super Cons.

The Pyramid Pro Pan also makes super cons. :)

Though being that you already have the GH pan I would not bother spending more money to switch things up.
It does a fine job too, the earlier argument was pertaining more to price and what else is out there for less $$$ to do the same thing.

Take care.

-Eric-

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Eric, sadly in some parts of Colorado its panning only. And the HP gets down to super concentrates in seconds. I was recently in Wyoming where sluicing is allowed. All we had was the hog pan and a sluice, so we used it to wash and classify before running it.

After all the hiking carrying a Keene sluice, and the Hog Pan, I'm currently looking at the BGT for areas, including some in CO that allow sluicing, Just can't decide!

I was thinking of a grill over the sluice, but how do you wash the rock then? That was my problem with the screen over the bucket. I'm usually a one man operation, and filling a screen with material and then having to wash over it with another bucket of water whilst trying to shake it down, seemed daunting at best! Hence the Hog Pan. also I don't see any bucket screen holding up to the cobble I wash in the HP! The reason it takes longer I suppose to fill a bucket is how little concentrates are left in the HP.

The gold we've been finding in WY is small, and buried in very large cobble, and tons and tons of black sand. Would you have any recommendations? Have you had a chance to work the BGT in areas with heavy amounts of black sand?
Thanks for your help!

Bob

The BGT prospector model would be the one I would look at to use in lieu of the hog pan and sluice for areas that are open to sluicing.

Yesterday I went to my favorite prospecting spot to try out a new sluice design similar to the BGT but there was not enough flow for it or my BGT to work properly.
100_5625.jpg

So it was panning only for me as I didn't bring any power equipment along for the day.
Typically what I do is sample pan to find color and then I produce as much concentrate from that area as I can to take home for processing.

It's surprising how fast you can produce a bucket load of concentrate simply by washing cobbles and paydirt in a classifier held against the top of a gold pan, put them both underwater and shake. Dump the cobbles out of the classifier and speed pan down to super concentrate and dump it into a bucket. Of course if I had a Hogpan I would have used it instead.:icon_thumleft:

Cost of classifier and pan $25
Finding gold........priceless

There was just enough flow to run the concentrates through the above prototype gate trap sluice after I created a steeper angle for it and this was my take for about an hours worth of work.
I didnt stay long as the heat and humidity combined with mosquitoes sent me home. (yeah I wussed out after I almost passed out, heat index was 110)
au.jpg

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotcha, you might want to try the Pyramid Pan Pro for area's that you are only allowed to pan in as some area's would bar the hog pan because of the classification that it does, but since you already have it I would just run it till someone says otherwise.

For loads of black sands you will have to clean the bazooka out more often, you will have to feel this one out.

The Miner is best suited to deal with huge cobbles and loads of cons.
The only problems that I can think of for the Miner is that it is not hiking friendly unless you strap it to your backpack somehow.
Also, it is so wide at the end that it requires a tub to clean out in, too large for a 5gal bucket.

Your next best option is the long deck Prospector model with the heavy design to handle the larger, heavier cobbles.
Being that you are only finding fine gold I would stick with the stock grizzlies and not worry about getting the large ones.

To wash the rocks on the standard sluice screen mod just splash some water on the rocks and then flip the screen to get rid of the rocks.

As for the cons in the Gold Hog pan, if they are really fine then I can see how it would take much longer to fill a 5gal bucket, as you said, Super Cons.

The Pyramid Pro Pan also makes super cons. :)

Though being that you already have the GH pan I would not bother spending more money to switch things up.
It does a fine job too, the earlier argument was pertaining more to price and what else is out there for less $$$ to do the same thing.

Take care.

-Eric-

Ordered up a Prospector BGT, for the areas I can use a sluice! I'm amazed how many on here rave about them, thanks for the advice!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats you'll love it :)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No Prob Goldhock, they really are one of the best sluice box's out there and the price is pretty damn reasonable.

As long as you have flow, you will keep the gold. :)

glot

Greenie
Sep 8, 2014
Rockhampton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay. I normally don't add comments in forums. I just read.
However, this one has sucked me in.
There are a few decent posts in this thread.
Most are from people that just like the sound of their own voice. That's normal in most forums. Adds some colour and nothing wrong with it.
There are a few important notes however. The Hogpan was designed for a specific task. It is not a magical tool. It is super heavy duty because it was built for professional use. Hog Gold is a commercial business. Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. If they are not willing to pay what it costs to manufacture, then the product is modified or dropped. People have commented on the price being a rip off. How can a Garrett super sluice pan be worth what they charge? Because that is what people are willing to pay. It is only a bity of plastic but look, at the prices. Most of you probably work for a boss. They pay you the minimum they need to in order to employ you. If you were selling something, you would ask as much as you thought you could get. End of story. The Doc has never hidden what the Hog Pan is designed for. It is not for everyone. it is not the magical bit of equipment that will make us all rich. It has it's uses. Depends on what you do. Of course Gold Hog will try market to everyone. Simple and smart business. The pyramid pan is also a great tool but in a different class. don't try compare them. Apples and oranges. Both nice but different. If you like apples, eat apples.
Doc like most of us, wants to make money, sit back on a yacht and relax and dream of finding the next Welcome Stranger. In the mean time, he has put up so much information to new fossickers/ prospectors. He is great at teaching. he has a passion. He has experience. Sure there would be many more out there that know even more, but they don't go forth and teach. I have 100% confidence in anything Gold Hog promotes and sells. Remember, apples and oranges.
On a side note, using head chef and leisure time in the same paragraph is a total contradiction to reality.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LaLaLaLaLaLa
oooh sorry, just listening to the sound of my voice again.

So anyways, point being, there are cheaper options with lifetime warranties (Implies Professional use) that do exactly the same but quicker, easier and don't fill/clog up as quickly.
If you are an equipment whore-der then its another item for your collection but in the real world I ask a lot of my tools, multi-purpose, light weight, ultra duty, cost effective.

I preach the good name of The Fossicker.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks for your help!

Bob
hey Bob, where in CO have you run into rules that say "pans only"? I'm not aware of any spots with such strict rules. Sluices are really everywhere here. In the mountains there's lots of dredges too...

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pyramid pro and I hate cleaning it out. I havnt used the hog pan but have watched the videos. If anyone can clean out a pyramid pro in the time of a hog pan and put it back together and ready to start using agian they are very skilled and fast handed. Another diffrance I would say is cleaning out the waste material. The sides of the pro get in the way and slow you down or your pi king out rocks the smooth sides of the hog pan would be an advantage here also.

I suppose you practice enough with a pan you get good at it. Making a comparison between the pro and the hog thou is all academic. There the same design except the hog pan is a newer model with much better options for an easier nicer ride.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then you are not getting aggressive enough with it and your hands must be broken. sorry. lol

I clean out my Pyramid pan in like 10 seconds, easy as breathing.
The plug does not need to be super tight, finger tight and go.

Also, unless you are super impatient, you don't need to clean the Pyramid pan out often at all, for sure not as often as the hog pan.

If you have a mask and snorkel you can sit in deeper spots and fan the material away with your hands turning the Pyramid Pro pan into a bit of an underwater sluice box, SUPER EFFECTIVE. :)
No need to get out, find a rock to sit on and reduce it only to get back into the water to get more material.

Now I don't mean to toss out your review, its good to get other feedback too so that we have a well rounded opinion about a product.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I realized. I bought it to sample and the pros plug is really anoying. Lets say I run 10 gallons then I have to fumble around digging the plug out to see if I want to work the area. I really hate the plug thing. It isnnot an easy clean out.

As for me no being aggressive enough that might well be true. I was just saying the hog pans sides would make it much easier to clear material out. At some put in this thread people where talking about saving your back arms ect. So my point was the hog pan would be easier to clean out which still stands.

It sounds like you love the pro and thats great I love super sluice and I can pan like crazy with it. Everyone has there favorites. I was just pointing out some things I felt where major upgrades to the pro.

Another question I have does the hog pan need less water then the pro because it fills from bottom to top or does the size diffrance make then about the same. The hog pan apears to be taller then the pro.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't own either device but after reading all I can about them it appears there are advantages and disadvantages to both devices, when compared to each other, that may or may not offset each other.

The pro pan appears to require several to many horizontal strokes to settle the gold then to clear the waste material before reloading but you don't have to fully dump until you want to or need to, due to black sand build up, and what you are likely to end up with are super concentrates.
The hogpan requires only minimal shaking before cleaning out but you have to clean out after every cycle and it produces concentrates similar to that from a sluice run with maybe even lesser concentration but the same amount of gold contained.

As I recall, it is best and suggested to classify material for the pro pan but not a requirement as it will work without. If not classified then the larger stones would likely have to be cleaned out manually before reloading.
The hogpan requires no classification at all. This is likely to result in more overall material handling capability in a days run.

At the end of the day: Pro pan - maybe less total material run but just a small quantity of super concentrated material to pan out.
Hog pan - maybe more material run but perhaps several gallons of concentrates to pan out.
Pro pan relatively inexpensive and perfect for hobbyists.
Hog pan expensive but capable of running more material in a shorter amount of time than the pro pan.
Larger volumes of material run usually results in more gold but does the extra price justify the purchase of a hog pan for the average user? I would say that the decision should be at least partially based on what one thinks he is realistically capable of to justify the economics.

I think that both require a similar water depth for operation and would require removing the waste material buildup periodically when operated in a
small shallow pool.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I want to start of buy saying the concept of the Hog Pan is great. I live close to the Lower Stanislaus River where the river nazi's only allow panning. I have avoided working this part of the river for that reason. Taking Doc's concept and being a miner on a budget, I began thinking of a way to create a similar device with stuff I had at home. Hence the "Soap Bucket Processor". Vaquero mentioned using a five gallon bucket in the same manner. Basically, I cut slits in the side of a square soap bucket added some angled aluminum to support the repurposed BBQ grill covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. My first test yeilded a full pan of cons, more than my liking. I cut new slits lower in the bucket and it works like a charm. For my second test, I filled the bucket and worked it down six times before cleaning it out. The area I was working has a high concentration of black sand. My clean out was half a 14" pan, 50-75% black sand. I then used my gold pan and scooped a full pan, to the top, of the tailings in the river and panned it out. To my amazement, I had about two tablespoons of black sand. In all the Black sand, I didn't find any gold, at least not that I could see with the naked eye. I decided to go a litte farther downstream where I knew there was gold. I worked two full buckets down to less than a 1/4 pan, panned it out and got the gold. To answer one of the other questions I saw in this thread, it is possible to keep the bottom of the bucket fluid to keep processing bucket after bucket until you have nothing but heavies in the bottom.

I must tell you that although you can move more material faster, you better have a good back to handle it. I did seem to be more work.

When I got home, stumbling over my prospecting equipment in the garage, I realized I had a 1/4" classifier with the screen falling out of it. I finished removing the screen and placed it down inside one of my buckets, perfect fit, about 4-5" off the bottom. I will be working on my five gallon bucket design tonight. I am thinking of cutting down a 10" duct reducer and attaching it to the bucket where it sits even with the slits on the side. It will act as a funnel directing to consentrates towards the center the bucket.

My props go out to Doc for the concepts he comes up with.

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Bob, where in CO have you run into rules that say "pans only"? I'm not aware of any spots with such strict rules. Sluices are really everywhere here. In the mountains there's lots of dredges too...
Hey Kevin, I was looking into a GPAA claim in Routt National Forest, and it says panning only..?

No worries for that though anytime soon, as its 6 hours away..lol!

Last edited:

Goldhock

Aug 11, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took the Hog Pan out today to do some testing, man its fast, but it is expensive! After finding a decent spot I ran the rest of what I dug thru the BGT prospector. Results pending..
I dont care for testing with the BGT, for me its to slow, set up, clean out, etc..I've also done the classifier screen / pan combo, but also didn't care for that either. Talk about bad for your back!
I will usually clean it out after two fills. Unless the material is light enough, then I clean it out less. I would like to point out how tough this thing is as well. You can load some big cobble in this thing without ever worrying about breaking it. The cons it produces are perfect for panning, without wasting any time. Also, I rest my elbows on my knees whilst washing and have no troubles...yet.lol!
If the water is not deep enough, I just shovel a hole till it is!
As Doc say's though, "it's not for everyone."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread