got any Maine gold panners out there?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Timberjack is the maine dude. Im from nh but want to dredge maine soon. We have been
fairly consistent in NH but if you want to get down and know where the coarse stuff is in maine i have a 4".

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfortunately they have come with new laws this year in the places where real amounts gold were being found in the cupsuptic area pans and stream sluices only, there was a bunch of guys I guess that had decided to build a huge gravity dredge hydro mined the bankings out like 20' in places and caused a big stir amoungst trout unlimited but there always the swift river

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah that sucks but i did ok panning on the swift. Is there any coarse gold left on the east branch? I saw alot of people dredging when i was up there.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grizz Never tried it. But somewhere I read. You can contact. The Boise Cascade Timber Manger. In Rumford M.E. Telephone 207-364-4521. And get permission to go farther up. The east branch. Never tried it.But the public area does get picked over pretty good. Might be worth a try farther up. But the high water keeps bring the gold down stream. So Im told.Let me know how you make out.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey just got a report of the sandy river just above Kingfield a friend of mine had filled a vile in a day up there same though stream sluice and pans only as far as the swift the each branch is always being dredged, seen some nice stuff though panned out actually thinking of getting a bigger bazooka

Last edited:

Numnutz89

Nov 21, 2014
Norway Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have panned a little bit in Maine, I'm from oxford county. I've mostly only been on the swift. I have found a little color but nothing to much.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most any stream in that area should contain gold.Need to dig deep. Exposed bed rock areas are best. Less digging. Inside bends behind large boulders. Low pressure areas. Try to find areas that haven"t been prospected. Any questions just ask. This site should get you answers. There a world of knowledge here. And test the areas your working. The harder you work the more you will find. And research the area your working. It will save a lot of wasted time.

Numnutz89

Nov 21, 2014
Norway Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried anywhere in the oxford hills area? That's where I'm from. I've tried a few streams around here last year when I first started but didn't have any luck

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never tried those areas. But these areas are listed as having gold. Deer mountain stow, Harvard quarry in W Paris, Mt Mica No. of So. Paris, Pleasant Mtn. Denmark. Sugar loaf area. Don"t know if these are public areas. But might be worth checking out.

Numnutz89

Nov 21, 2014
Norway Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info! Il have to get out and do some digging. Probably won't be until spring now though, this weather really puts a damper on things.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well how about that some locals here well right now that winter is setting in I'm building a crevice vac and after going on the swift and digging packed bedrock it pays off well sometimes LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread