Header box for Keene A52

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering a header box for my Keene A52. The idea of not having to limit my dig sites to places where there is sufficient water flow is appealing.

Anyone have experience with these? What gph pump is required for sufficient (fast) water flow? 12V or gas powered pump? I use a trommel for 1/2" classification before I would run through the box.

Thanks

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Hey Matt, I have the Keene Header box for my A52. I bolted the header box directly into my flair. I know some who are going to read this are probably saying, "you did WHAT?" Relax, I had a spare A52 and a Jobe 45 so I wasn't worried about modifying it. I used to use a HF 2" water pump, very cumbersome to carry too far. I recently aquired a 1000W electric generator (30 lbs) and a HF 1hp electric trash pump, 2640 GPH (10 lbs. and fits inside a bucket in my backpack). As for the water supply line, I used pool hose, I think I got it at Ace, cutting off the factory ends. It's Flexible outside but has smooth lining on the inside. At each end, I used a 1 1/4" PVC adapter threading the end of the adapter into the hose and used a hose clamp for added security, a little silicone on the threads would be even better for sealing. It was a really tight fit. From there, I used a combination of 1 1/4" PVC fittings to connect to pump and highbanker.

The way the header box was designed, it will allow larger rocks, >2", to get through without modification. I took a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth, cut and shaped to cover every gap possible, and attached it to the grizzly bars. I also cut a piece of wood to place inside the header, covering the dump hole, to allow the material to wash. Before this modification, I was finding the rocks were sliding out without being washed.

As I said, I had the opportunity to try it out for the first time this weekend. It was the perfect combination of pump and highbanker.

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting about the high banker. Did you initially test using only the header box/power sluice?

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided if I do this I am going for a gas powered (4-stroke) pump. What would be the recommendation for the GPH capacity with say a 1.5" hose running material classified to 1/2"?

Second question....should I get a normal header box, or get the header box design that could support use as a dredge should I choose to dredge at some point?

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got both setups for the Jobe 45 sluice which is basically the same size as the A52. I run the header box with a 2100 GPH 12v pump recirculating and it works really well, could use that or a gas powered pump too, either way, 12v is nice and quiet. Header box is a great substitute for a flowing creek. I use the highbanker/dredge combo hopper mostly for dredging but it's nice to shovel into as well, don't have to classify down. It's bigger and bulkier and I run a 2" gas powered water pump with it but I can process way more material with that over the header box. I believe the header box is a little cheaper option as well so there's price to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread