Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Hey Matt, I have the Keene Header box for my A52. I bolted the header box directly into my flair. I know some who are going to read this are probably saying, "you did WHAT?" Relax, I had a spare A52 and a Jobe 45 so I wasn't worried about modifying it. I used to use a HF 2" water pump, very cumbersome to carry too far. I recently aquired a 1000W electric generator (30 lbs) and a HF 1hp electric trash pump, 2640 GPH (10 lbs. and fits inside a bucket in my backpack). As for the water supply line, I used pool hose, I think I got it at Ace, cutting off the factory ends. It's Flexible outside but has smooth lining on the inside. At each end, I used a 1 1/4" PVC adapter threading the end of the adapter into the hose and used a hose clamp for added security, a little silicone on the threads would be even better for sealing. It was a really tight fit. From there, I used a combination of 1 1/4" PVC fittings to connect to pump and highbanker.

The way the header box was designed, it will allow larger rocks, >2", to get through without modification. I took a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth, cut and shaped to cover every gap possible, and attached it to the grizzly bars. I also cut a piece of wood to place inside the header, covering the dump hole, to allow the material to wash. Before this modification, I was finding the rocks were sliding out without being washed.

As I said, I had the opportunity to try it out for the first time this weekend. It was the perfect combination of pump and highbanker.

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting about the high banker. Did you initially test using only the header box/power sluice?

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided if I do this I am going for a gas powered (4-stroke) pump. What would be the recommendation for the GPH capacity with say a 1.5" hose running material classified to 1/2"?

Second question....should I get a normal header box, or get the header box design that could support use as a dredge should I choose to dredge at some point?

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got both setups for the Jobe 45 sluice which is basically the same size as the A52. I run the header box with a 2100 GPH 12v pump recirculating and it works really well, could use that or a gas powered pump too, either way, 12v is nice and quiet. Header box is a great substitute for a flowing creek. I use the highbanker/dredge combo hopper mostly for dredging but it's nice to shovel into as well, don't have to classify down. It's bigger and bulkier and I run a 2" gas powered water pump with it but I can process way more material with that over the header box. I believe the header box is a little cheaper option as well so there's price to consider.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread