Headin to the Ohio honey hole...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's that time of year the wifey and I head up to her family's property in Stoney Ridge Oh. It was and old quarry back in the 1800's and became a swimmin hole right around 1900. I took my DF there last year, but the water was too deep to free dive, so not too much luck... but this time I'm gonna take the DFX and hit the land.It has been in the family for 50 years or so and has never been hunted, so I am hoping for some goodies. Really I am hoping for some silver coins and such since I can find gold on the beach here at home, but the silver coins elude me. Only 2 for >3k of clad.. and they were both 64 dimes.

Ohio07081-1.jpg

Maybe I'll run iinto some of ya when I'm up that way...

HH :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like a great place to detect. Would love to hit te bottom of that place. Need to take up diving.....Matt

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S.S.Tupperware said:
Well it's that time of year the wifey and I head up to her family's property in Stoney Ridge Oh. It was and old quarry back in the 1800's and became a swimmin hole right around 1900. I took my DF there last year, but the water was too deep to free dive, so not too much luck... but this time I'm gonna take the DFX and hit the land.It has been in the family for 50 years or so and has never been hunted, so I am hoping for some goodies. Really I am hoping for some silver coins and such since I can find gold on the beach here at home, but the silver coins elude me. Only 2 for >3k of clad.. and they were both 64 dimes.

Ohio07081-1.jpg

Maybe I'll run iinto some of ya when I'm up that way...

HH :thumbsup:

I've dived similar water holes (hookah diving) here in Northern California using under water metal detectors. I've also dredged the bottom and sucked up the goodies. It is very possible that your swimming hole could be a silver and gold bonanza! :o That old photo shows 1920 era cars parked on the edge. Its very possible that barber / seated coins are in that water! Hopefully, this is a virgin area. It is not uncommon for a hole like this to produce 100 + gold rings and hundreds of silver coins! You just need the equipment! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No dredge, might have to look into makin one... I wonder how else I could recover some stuff, thinkin of makin a clam rake type thing and throwing it out there. Only problem is all the organics built up over the years. Yes it is a "Virgin" They owned it for a long time. I guess we'll see what the land brings this trip. I like the idea of a dredge in nothing else to help remove sediment and such. Only problem I see is roughly 15 ft to the water from land and anywhere from 10- 30 under water. Do ya think a dredge can work with that much head pressure?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
S.S.Tupperware said:
No dredge, might have to look into makin one... I wonder how else I could recover some stuff, thinkin of makin a clam rake type thing and throwing it out there. Only problem is all the organics built up over the years. Yes it is a "Virgin" They owned it for a long time. I guess we'll see what the land brings this trip. I like the idea of a dredge in nothing else to help remove sediment and such. Only problem I see is roughly 15 ft to the water from land and anywhere from 10- 30 under water. Do ya think a dredge can work with that much head pressure?

Trying to use a dredge in deep water could be a problem. I ran into problems in 15 to 20 feet of water with a 5 H.P. engine. Just didn't have the enough power to bring everything to the surface, although I did get some of the coins & rings. Perhaps rigging up a much larger and more powerful engine to the dredge should fix the problem. I know a guy who made a home made rake with thin wire fingers to catch chains and rings. he made this thing about 20 feet long. He claimed he actually recovered a few chains with it. Hopefully there is not much silt and mud on the bottom. Have you free dived to check on water visibility and the condition of the bottom?

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was some, but I didnt really check, I will when I go up this time. There are 2 diving boards and a big slide in 10 ft or so. I am thinking a minnow net maybe if there's not too much mock. Its a stone bottom so I guess its a matter of how thick the muck is... Maybe a rake like thing. I know my Buddie threw a small treble hook trying to find his mask in a river and we snagged 2 pairs of glasses and half a dozen old style pull tabs, so who knows. Any other ideas welcome... :thumbsup:
Ohio07083-1.jpg

Ohio07012-1.jpg

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This looks like so much fun!! and when you're done detecting you can swim!! :)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
There was some, but I didnt really check, I will when I go up this time. There are 2 diving boards and a big slide in 10 ft or so. I am thinking a minnow net maybe if there's not too much mock. Its a stone bottom so I guess its a matter of how thick the muck is... Maybe a rake like thing. I know my Buddie threw a small treble hook trying to find his mask in a river and we snagged 2 pairs of glasses and half a dozen old style pull tabs, so who knows. Any other ideas welcome... :thumbsup:
Ohio07083-1.jpg

Ohio07012-1.jpg
You might want to invest in renting some shallow water scuba gear and a Minelab Excal II just a fist full of gold rings would pay for it nicely at least a week ,looking at those hill sides so close to the swimming hole i bet anything there is a fully intact 1920,s car at the bottom of that hole :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an ox cart and an old truck down there. Ya can see it in the deepend around 35 ft. I have fished the truck and its kinda like grouper fishing here... straight down.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I would get a large pump and empty it for a month, recover the goodies and let it refill

OP
OP
S.S.Tupperware

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flyin out in a couple hours... give ya a report when I get back... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions