New Person!

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
So I am a N00b when it comes to this. I have wanted to do this forever and this site has inspired me to finally purchase a MD. Just curious,
what would you recommend for someone who is just starting out and not wanting to spend more than $200 ( can spend a little more with taxes, etc)?
I plan on searching parks, empty lots, woods, and near the lake. Any recommendations would be helpful or any site.

Also I am from the central Texas area (North of Austin). Just curious if anyone is from around those parts! :)

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Garret ace 250 is the one most recommended.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Electrocute.

I've been metal detecting awhile, but I'm a nubie to this site. If you're stuck at $200, I'd go ahead and shell out about $30 more and get a Tesoro Silver uMax.

I can't knock the Ace 250 because lots of folks like it, but that screen is wrong lots of times about what you've found and the depth is usually off too. At least, that's been my experience when I've borrowed one.

I never have that problem with the uMax (since it has no screen or depth indicator) and I swear it goes deeper than the 250. Maybe someone who owns both can confirm that.

Anyway, the uMax comes with a lifetime warranty (the 250 does not) and its all audio. No lying screens! :D It doesn't take long to figure out which beeps to dig and which ones are likely junk.

Personally, I dig everything just in case.

Good luck with your purchase. Just make sure you get to know your machine well and you'll do fine.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Hi Electrocute.

I've been metal detecting awhile, but I'm a nubie to this site. If you're stuck at $200, I'd go ahead and shell out about $30 more and get a Tesoro Silver uMax.

I can't knock the Ace 250 because lots of folks like it, but that screen is wrong lots of times about what you've found and the depth is usually off too. At least, that's been my experience when I've borrowed one.

I never have that problem with the uMax (since it has no screen or depth indicator) and I swear it goes deeper than the 250. Maybe someone who owns both can confirm that.

Anyway, the uMax comes with a lifetime warranty (the 250 does not) and its all audio. No lying screens! :D It doesn't take long to figure out which beeps to dig and which ones are likely junk.

Personally, I dig everything just in case.

Good luck with your purchase. Just make sure you get to know your machine well and you'll do fine.

So what would be wrong with buying a detector that has a screen, but not looking at it? If you have a good answer I'm in trouble because I would have been doing it wrong for over 10 years now. ;D

OP
OP
E

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
I just want something preferably that I can plug headphones into. I don't mind if it has or doesn't have a screen. From my understanding its really all about the sounds given off correct?

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[/quote]

So what would be wrong with buying a detector that has a screen, but not looking at it? If you have a good answer I'm in trouble because I would have been doing it wrong for over 10 years now. ;D
[/quote]

LOL, nothing at all! I just figure if I'm paying for additional technology (the screen), then I got a right to expect it to work. :wink:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electrocute said:
I just want something preferably that I can plug headphones into. I don't mind if it has or doesn't have a screen. From my understanding its really all about the sounds given off correct?

You are spot on correct about that!

Some detectors with display screens are more accurate than others, but those cost $$$.

Most folks I know who start with audio only tend to stay with them.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, nothing at all! I just figure if I'm paying for additional technology (the screen), then I got a right to expect it to work. :wink:

[/quote]

The thing is you pay for what you think is the best electronics and the screen is not negotiable. When you make a post such as you did with the emphasis on the screen it almost implies the guts are equal on each unit. (And the guts is what counts the most - why I use a detector with a screen, but never look at it) Make sense grasshoppa? :wink:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:

The thing is you pay for what you think is the best electronics and the screen is not negotiable. When you make a post such as you did with the emphasis on the screen it almost implies the guts are equal on each unit. (And the guts is what counts the most - why I use a detector with a screen, but never look at it) Make sense grasshoppa? :wink:
[/quote]

Sure does! :D

Guess I'm just one of those fellas where if I don't trust the screen, I don't trust the guts neither. :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:

Sure does! :D

Guess I'm just one of those fellas where if I don't trust the screen, I don't trust the guts neither. :laughing7:
[/quote]

I love the guts of my Minelab but definitely hate the screen. I'd gladly give it away to any Tesoro user! ;D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard, glad you are here. this is a great place with a lot of great people. I would look at the Tesoro line..It is a great bunch of detectors..good luck.

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:hello2:
you have made the greatest choice already!
you are a metal detector!
good luck and have FUN!

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
as an owner of an Ace 250 I can say that I mainly use it in playgrounds where depth is not usually an issue. My ID screen seems to be very accurate and this model will find very small objects which is interesting. When you get a deep signal in a playground you will find it is iron or and old can and this is where the screen is a big plus. Several days ago I went on an early hunt and one of the kids took the car with my gear and Minelab in it so I had to use the Ace and found a little playground that had not been hunted and had a great time. Keep in mind that lots of objects will ring up as coins on any detector, anyway I had one nickel signal that I couldn't find(pinpointer was in other car) and it turned out to be a tiny gear when I finally spotted it. If you get an Ace hunt in all metal as you will miss alot otherwise as it has long nulls and will null out some good targets.

OP
OP
E

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
Ok guys I have an update :). Well I am going to be getting a BH Quicksilver. I know the garret and the tesoro are much better. This however is being given to me free. Still packed in the origonal box. Has never been opened. My friend's uncle bought one a long time ago and never used it. he told me I could pick it up for free so he can get it out of his garage.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electrocute said:
Ok guys I have an update :). Well I am going to be getting a BH Quicksilver. I know the garret and the tesoro are much better. This however is being given to me free. Still packed in the origonal box. Has never been opened. My friend's uncle bought one a long time ago and never used it. he told me I could pick it up for free so he can get it out of his garage.

Free is about the best price any of us can hope for. :icon_pirat:

As for the BH, I've never owned one myself and I know they get some mixed reviews, but heck, just enjoy yourself.

OP
OP
E

Electrocute

Jul 9, 2010
Texas
The way I figure it I'm new to this type of stuff. Might not be a bad idea to take this free MD and start out with. I'd be wary as to pay for a machine that starts to collect dust because I got "bored" (doubtful I will though). If I do start to really enjoy it then I can "upgrade" :).

Brittany-Guy

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2009
Otsego County NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, BH Pioneer 505,TinyTec Pinpointer, DetectorPro Pistol Pointer
Belated Welcome to the forum from upstate New York.

Happy Hunting!

Wayne

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
Can't go wrong with a free one. It'll detect targets, just dig everything and have fun. In the mean time, study the forums, save your money for a good mid level machine because if you get addicted to this, won't be long before you'll want a better machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions