HeadPhone Ohmage Rating for Minelab Detectors

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just was told today by one of my detecting pen pals that he CAN'T use any headphone
less than 32 ohm for his Minelab Detector (explorer series).
He said he was told that using a lower ohm set of earphones compared to the
100 ohm output at his detector jack could FRY his Minelab audio output circuits.
Any truth in this (cuz I just cannot think this is anything but hype)? :rolleyes:

Said he saw this in detail on a forum too. Not sure which one. Thoght someone here might know

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It won't fry anything but the impedance mismatch will change the volume level that can be achieved at the headphones.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
An interesting bit of info to add to this is I was using bounty hunter brand headphones for a long period of time with no issues with my etrac. All of a sudden I had no audio coming thru them. I plugged the headphones in my dfx and they worked fine, so I sent to minelab for repair. They couldn't get the etrac to fail after numerous tests. The Koss headphones that came with my unit were long broken and that was what they were testing it with. So they sent it back with a brand new pair of Koss headphones and yes, it works. Minelab deserves an A++ for customer service, but what you are describing could possibly be why the bounty hunters no longer work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread